24 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 07:47 PM

We've all heard various rumors about who will be playing opposite our man in his next adventure. Now let's take a look at the feasibility of each candidate, from the beginning. Since my report seems to be exceding the limit, I'll do this in two parts:

Gretchen Mol:
Birthdate: 11/8/73
Birthplace: Connecticut

First official Bond girl rumor anybody heard with the next film. Mol was in talks with Barbara Broccoli; no verdict yet. As you may recall, Bond hasn't had a blonde leading lady in 12 years, since TLD. Since then, the only blondes have been bit parts. Assuming the film shoots from mid-January 2002 to Summer 2002, Gretchen Mol will be 28, just one year older then Denise Richards was during most of the filming for TWINE. I've also heard she's not much of an actress. On the plus side, she's a Scorpio, the sign opposite Taurus (Brosnan); this bodes for some interesting results, and it worked in TWINE, as Sophie Marceau is also a Scorpio. ANALYSIS: pretty likely, although those talks were quite a while ago...

Charlize Theron:
Hair: blond (natural, too)
Eyes: green
Birthdate: 8/7/75
Birthplace: South Africa

Only mention of her comes from Brosnan himself, who expressed his desire to have her in the next film (suggestive sentence, isn't it?) Assuming the film shoots from mid-January 2002 to Summer 2002, she'll be 26. It seems that only Brosnan has given us word about her, nothing from the producers, nothing official. ANALYSIS: pretty unlikely

Dave

P.S. Sorry I've been away from the forum so long, my home computer can't sign me in or load up more than 2 messages. I'm on a computer at the library right now, but I'll be back in a week!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 07:33 AM

Good lord, the stuff you can learn on here is amazing!! I had no idea that she had a cousin, that was related to her etc...

IF the Bond 20 rumours are true, that we'd see flashbacks of pervios Bond girls that it would be clever. However, it these girls reappeared as older versions of themselves I'm sure that Maryam would still look younger than Brosnan so the concept could be very interesting!

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 12:11 AM

If Yeoh was in it I'd prefer a minor role. The idea of her as Bond's rival is quite an interesting one. Perhaps trying to recover the same gadget or something? But perhaps that would be a little too much like FYEO.

#4 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 12:25 PM

The British tabs are now reporting that Eon are writing a part especially for Mariah Carey after she met Pierce Brosnan at a party and told him she wanted to be a Bond girl.
Yeah, OK I'm waiting for that one to come true.

BTW Maxim magazine had an interview with Lady Victoria Hervey, and asked her about being a Bond girl.
She said 'I would love to be a Bond girl but I haven't decided yet which Bond girl I want to be, the good or the bad girl.'
I think this is just a case of someone kind of saying their fantasy would be to be in a Bond movie, I'm sure if she got offered a part she would drop dead with shock, she wasn't serious about it and she's not an actress.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 11:35 PM

A very clever idea of killing her off. But I don't think she should be the major Bond girl should she ever return. And the idea of marriage again, a little disrespectul to Tracy though I'm sure that Brosnan would have a field day with the idea (if only he visited these forums!!).

But all in all a very good concept!

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:04 PM

Oh bloody hell nexus stop plugging your stuff ;p

Let's hear some Bond 20 stuff!

#7 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 11:11 AM

I say yes to Yeoh !. Let's bring her back for the Nexus 007 adventure:

"General Dragon"

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 07:03 AM

White Persian (02 Jun, 2001 05:12 p.m.):
What about a reprise of Famke Janssen as Xenia? Although she didn't look a well girl at the end of GoldenEye, her death wasn't certain.

I'd have to disagree there Persian. She's pretty much dead. And if that would be up in the air I'd say she's be seriously handicapped.

#9 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 07:59 PM

Kirsty Gallacher:
Birthdate: 1976 (exact date unknown)
Birthplace: Scotland

This one seems to be an official rumor, though she has little, if any previous acting experience. Still, she's highly stimulating, and athletic (which always helps in an action film). A brunette, she was rumored for a kickboxing bad girl. Assuming the film shoots from mid-January 2002 to Summer 2002, she'll be 25 or 26. A bit young, rather inexperienced, but good writing and directing might help. Plus, she's a bad girl, so she'd definitely be more interesting and have more interesting things to say & do than Christmas Jones. ANALYSIS: possible

Minnie Driver:
Birthdate: 1/31/70
Birthplace: England

She expressed interest in becoming a Bond girl. Add to this the fact that she's already appeared in one- she had a bit part as Irina, Zukovsky's country singin' Russian mistress in GE. She knows and has worked with the Bond people, and they DO rehire, often promoting actors to larger roles:
Charles Gray- Henderson in YOLT
- Blofeld in DAF
Walter Gotell- SPECTRE agent in FRWL
- General Gogol in six films
Robert Brown- admiral in TSWLM
- M in four films
Maud Adams- Andrea in TMWTGG
- Octopussy
Assuming the film shoots from mid-January 2002 to Summer 2002, she'll be 32, the same age as Sophie Marceau in TWINE. Oh, and Minnie Driver also has an Oscar nod to her credit.
ANALYSIS: God and the producers willing, she's our girl

Michelle Yeoh:
Birthdate: 8/6/62
Birthplace: Malaysia

The only Bond girl of the last three films to achieve greater fame AFTER playing a Bond girl. It was Brosnan who expressed interest in working with her again. As we all know, she played Wai Lin in TND. Shot to stardom of her own in Ang Lee's smash hit, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", garnering a British Academy Award nomination. Assuming the film shoots from mid-January 2002 to Summer 2002, she'll be 39. This may sound a staggering number, but Maud Adams was 38 when she played Octopussy. Michelle Yeoh was also recently included in People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People list. Only one Bond girl (the character, that is) ever returned, intended as a running gag, but it didn't work out. The biggest question seems to be how her return would be handled. Personally I'd LOVE to see Bond meet up with the same girl twice- how would he react, how would we react, what would he do (well, we all know what he'd do). Their chemistry was among the best in the series. Bringing back banter like theirs would certainly be welcome. Think of the action sequences if her part were made larger, or if Ang Lee directs (remember Brosnan's wish for that?) Also, there's no way they'd hire her past 40, so this would be her last stand- would they kill her off, bring some CT,HD-esque drama into it? The possibilities are endless, mind-boggling, exciting and just WONDERFUL! Problem is, she may only be brought back for a cameo. I think it's safe to say out of all the girls on this list she has the most support from this forum.
ANALYSIS: not likely, but we can always hope.

And so, that's my report. What do you think? What's your opinion of these rumored candidates? And Blue Eyes, what's your opinion of my report?

Dave

#10 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 09:41 PM

Blue Eyes (02 Jun, 2001 05:06 a.m.):
Dave, that has to be the best report!! Look out in the next few days as I'll be publishing it.

Sheer brilliance!!

Kirsty Gallacher (sp??) may just land a minor role I feel. Not sure about the others. It's all sort of up in the air.

But this is interesting. Both Gallacher and Yeoh have both commented personally that their managers are in talks with EON. Either they're both lying or something was going on!!! Yeoh may be a tad too expensive after CTHD.

I was not aware of that! To think that not only did Brosnan express interest in getting her back for another one, but that she herself has stated that her manager is in talks with EON! That is too cool. Glad you like my report- when you say publish it, do you mean post it?

Dave

#11 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:35 PM

Here's my idea for Michelle Yeoh:

She and Bond get paired up again, perhaps at the outset by their governments (while still giving time to Bond for some additional flings). The villain's henchman is also a martial arts expert- and a former lover of Wai Lin; they were engaged, she broke the engagement, he never got over it completely. He's resentful of Bond (not to mention insulted that Wai Lin is down to seeing someone like Bond instead of someone like him, but it doesn't matter- any rival would be treated the same). Bond and Wai Lin begin to grow deeper- she's been considering retiring from her secret agent status and maybe requesting an administrative job, or taking a position as an ambassador. Point is, she's thinking about her future, and so is Bond. The henchman at one point captures Wai Lin, and rapes her (and maybe tortures her as well). She frees herself, and kills him in a swordfight (perhaps they trained in swordfighting together).

She rejoins Bond, and their relationship grows deeper, beyond simple pleasures of the flesh. Bond goes so far as to buy an engagement ring, feeling that he's finally ready to make another go at real love and a real life. Together, they quash the villain's plan in a nighttime raid on the villain's HQ. The main villain tries to escape to his private plane, and Wai Lin goes after him. He shoots her dead, and not only does Bond not have a chance to propose, he didn't have a chance to say goodbye, either. In a fury, Bond runs after the villain's private jet, which is taxiing toward the end of the runway. He grabs on to the landing gear as the plane takes off, and proceeds to make his way inside. Once there, he dispatches the henchman and comes to grips with the villain. Desiring the villain's maximum pain, he puts a knife through the villain's mouth and out the back of his head, leaving him choking, bleeding, pinned to the floor and finally dead.

Robinson picks Bond up in a helicopter, and does what little he can to console him. James, of course, pretends that it didn't really matter, that she was just another girl. Robinson has some good news of his own- he's engaged (this could be excluded, but I think it might underscore the point). Bond and Robinson chat briefly about marriage, and life, and after which Bond tosses the engagement ring out the window. Robinson asks him what it is, and Bond replies (I don't know how to fill this in just yet, maybe something like "Oh, just a little foolish dream.")

End with a close-up of the ring on the shore at night. Fade out.

Any comments?

Dave

#12 licence_to_ill

licence_to_ill

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 03:32 AM

OLIVIA d'ABO
22 January 1967,
London, England, UK

Now you have to hear me out.....Olivia d'Abo should have a screen test for a bond girl. Since Bond 20 is rumored to be recalling 007's past, they could bring back former bond girl, Kara Milovy (The Living Daylights). It would be quite interesting to see how 007 interacts with a previous girl. If you recall actress Maryam d'Abo played Kara, but for Bond 20, I think her cousin, Olivia d'Abo, who has a striking resemblenance to Maryam should play Kara. She is also a bit younger too.

I feel that Kara was the best bond girl. Her character was quite defined and seemed to keep the bond story from getting boring.

#13 General Orlov

General Orlov

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 11:58 PM

Michelle Yeoh coming back seems like a good idea to me, too. This gives lots of opportunities to the screenwriters, I believe. She could be a trusted friend whom Bond turns to. Or just once more the girl who is after the same goal as Bond is. Or even his adversary or rival.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 12:14 AM

rubixcub (02 Jun, 2001 10:41 p.m.):
Glad you like my report- when you say publish it, do you mean post it?

Yup! Posting it on the main page :) Don't know the exact date because I'd like to edit it a tad first and also there's some fairly 'heavy' news up there right now and I'd like that to die down first rather than flood the news all at once.

#15 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 05:49 PM

Blue Eyes (04 Jun, 2001 01:11 a.m.):
If Yeoh was in it I'd prefer a minor role. The idea of her as Bond's rival is quite an interesting one. Perhaps trying to recover the same gadget or something? But perhaps that would be a little too much like FYEO.

You mean TSWLM, right, with Bond and Anya both trying to recover the microfilm? Personally, I'd prefer a major role for Yeoh, even more screen time than the last time. Think of how much more the relationship could be developed. Their feelings could grow deeper, even toward real love, while working together, when tragedy strikes and Wai Lin is struck down. That may be a bit CT,HD-esque, though, and perhaps too much so. I'd love to see their relationship grow leading up to Wai Lin's being killed off- think of that for the end of the picture! No fade-out kiss, no all-around happy ending, just a lonely James Bond wearily returning home, thinking about what he'd just lost- real romance and the possibility of a new future. Think about that and then mull over the idea of a minor role and see which is more interesting and which has the potential for a more rewarding film experience.

Dave

#16 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 05:02 AM

I agree with you Dave. And I think the idea would appeal to Brosnan as well, considering his wish to bring more depth to Bond.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 07:49 AM

Yes I just got this rumour in my e-mail. Please Lord give me strength.

#18 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 August 2001 - 09:03 PM

Blue Eyes (26 Jul, 2001 12:35 a.m.):
A very clever idea of killing her off. But I don't think she should be the major Bond girl should she ever return. And the idea of marriage again, a little disrespectul to Tracy though I'm sure that Brosnan would have a field day with the idea (if only he visited these forums!!).

But all in all a very good concept!

Thanks.

Hey, maybe we should invite Brosnan to visit the forum, if such a thing is possible! Who knows, maybe he'll like what he sees.

Dave

#19 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 10:45 AM

[quote]rubixcub (08 Jun, 2001 06:49 p.m.):
[quote]'d prefer a major role for Yeoh, even more screen time than the last time. Think of how much more the relationship could be developed. Their feelings could grow deeper, even toward real love, while working together, when tragedy strikes and Wai Lin is struck down. That may be a bit CT,HD-esque, though, and perhaps too much so. I'd love to see their relationship grow leading up to Wai Lin's being killed off- think of that for the end of the picture! No fade-out kiss, no all-around happy ending, just a lonely James Bond wearily returning home, thinking about what he'd just lost- real romance and the possibility of a new future. Think about that and then mull over the idea of a minor role and see which is more interesting and which has the potential for a more rewarding film experience.

Dave[/quote]
I agree Yeoh should have a larger role but I doubt her death would be as devastating as the death of Tracy in OHMSS. Wai Lin is a professional like 007; would she fall in love with Bond ?. She doesn't seem the type to fall in love when she's totally committed to her work. Her death at the climax of the movie would have great dramatic impact. Another girl, as Wai Lin's love rival for 007 should be there at the climax for the traditional final embrace.

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 06:24 AM

I've just posted this in the news section of the Bond 20 Site! Be sure to go and take a look! Excellent work David. Hopefully we'll have a few more opinions.

I'm going to try and write one up for Lady V shortly. If I have the time, which I have little of right now :)

#21 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:16 PM

Jacques Nexus (09 Jun, 2001 11:45 a.m.):I agree Yeoh should have a larger role but I doubt her death would be as devastating as the death of Tracy in OHMSS. Wai Lin is a professional like 007; would she fall in love with Bond ?. She doesn't seem the type to fall in love when she's totally committed to her work. Her death at the climax of the movie would have great dramatic impact. Another girl, as Wai Lin's love rival for 007 should be there at the climax for the traditional final embrace.

Who needs a final embrace? If ya wanna do something different, maybe the final embrace could be omitted from time to time. Sometimes it's a waste anyways- Christmas Jones, for example. Her sole purpose was to be the "good girl" and to provide Bond his fade-out kiss. But wouldn't TWINE have been better off without Denise Richards?

Dave

#22 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 04:12 PM

Like the idea of a return by Michelle Yeo and I see no problem with her age. If you younger chaps can't appreciate the charms of the more mature beauty, that's your loss.
What about a reprise of Famke Janssen as Xenia? Although she didn't look a well girl at the end of GoldenEye, her death wasn't certain.

#23 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 06:45 AM

If it were up to me I'd pay whetever it took to get Michelle Yeoh back in a Bond film!

Talk about chemistry! Talk about excitement! I don't care how old she is, SIGN HER UP!!! Give her a major role, too.

(I want her in the film almost as much as I want John McTiernan to direct! Damn, I wish I worked for Eon!)

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 June 2001 - 03:51 AM

I was thinking about Yeoh and that she may not do another Bond film, for personal reasons. After CTHD she took a lot of interest in Asian made films, I think she even started her own production company.

And she takes it damn seriously. For instance, she turned down a starring role in the next Matrix flick so she could do a film for her production company! Now personally I'd call that a very bad career move. But I could be wrong!

#25 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 04:06 AM

Dave, that has to be the best report!! Look out in the next few days as I'll be publishing it.

Sheer brilliance!!

Kirsty Gallacher (sp??) may just land a minor role I feel. Not sure about the others. It's all sort of up in the air.

But this is interesting. Both Gallacher and Yeoh have both commented personally that their managers are in talks with EON. Either they're both lying or something was going on!!! Yeoh may be a tad too expensive after CTHD.