6 replies to this topic

#1 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:54 AM

Now, before I say anything, just let me say that I don't mind the women having important roles, and being more than just eye-candy for Bond.......

.......but Flicka makes Bond look like a second class agent who needs to be warned and saved all the time...... I won't list specifics for those who have not read it.....

......but, is it just me, or is this the case??

(I DO think Bond should ALWAYS be the most capable character in the story.... unless the other capable character is a villain...... but that's just personal prefference...)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:00 AM

I found Flicka and James Bond to be quite the equals, and not one or the other overshadowing the other, I've read Never Send Flowers and SeaFire many times, and every time I reread them, I seem to think that Flicka was one of Gardner's best leading ladies, but that's just my thought on her.

I really don't think she diminshed the role of Bond.

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:10 AM

I'm a woman and I don't mind women being sex kittens to Bond at all. also... Personally, I don't want to read about or watch women be equal to Bond or more than Bond. Bond is in his own way a super hero of sorts. He's his own man.

#4 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:52 AM

I'm a woman and I don't mind women being sex kittens to Bond at all. also... Personally, I don't want to read about or watch women be equal to Bond or more than Bond. Bond is in his own way a super hero of sorts. He's his own man.

pretty much bingo........

...........my thoughts exactly......

#5 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

damn......... I don't like the way he killed her off in COLD..........

#6 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:01 AM

damn......... I don't like the way he killed her off in COLD..........

Big time spoiler there, deth, but I do agree. I never liked the character much, and didn't mind seeing her exit (just too bland I guess, she was sort of like a Barbie doll with kung-fu grip, not very many defining personality traits). But the way her death was handled "off screen" seemed a little...a little Cold :) .

#7 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:27 AM

I prefer to have Bond "a man alone" on his missions, so while I liked Flicka as a character, I didn't like the idea of Flicka as a permanent partner. She seemed to change the nature of Bond and the nature of the Bond experience for me. I was okay with her in NSF because there was sexual tension between them, but the fact that they were engaged (and living together?--I don't remember) in SeaFire and working together for MI6...no. That's not James Bond.