Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:37 AM

Hi gang,

As Bond 20 approaches i am getting more and more upset that Timothy Dalton only
got a chance to do two films in eight years.

Reading about this proposed third script i often wonder what it would have been like
if Dalton did 3.

Although Dalton stamped his mark on the character in a big way i believe that a third film would have brought a satisfactory
conclusion to his reign as Bond.

Two films just aren't enough. Its also a pity that Dalton himself isn't interested in playing the character again. I believe
that our last chance would have been Dalton in Warhead 2000 but it never happened.

So as i ponder boycotting another Brosnan
"blockbuster" i welcome your comments.

And Daniel i don't know if you got my message but how is that article on Dalton 3
coming along?

Thanks

Byron

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:09 PM

Welcome to CBNet Byron :)

You know how I feel about Timothy Dalton from our days at Universal Exports.

I think Dalton felt that he had waited too long for the producers to make the 17th movie. (Wasn't that the case?).

So, no third Dalton movie :)

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 07:59 PM

Byron welcome to CBN.

I think it's a shame that Dalton didn't get to do a third (or fourth) film. Dalton could have done a couple of more Bond films and Pierce still could have taken over in 1995. I'm completely oblivious to how boycotting Die Another Day will change anything though. Enjoy what we have got.

By the way, 007Forever has a nice article about the screen treatment for third Dalton film. I think the article's author was a little hard on what was clearly a work in progress that probably just needed some kinks worked out to be a great Bond film, but it's still an informitive piece.

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 08:56 PM

Welcome Byron:

Boycotting NAT (as I call DAD) will not help TD get the role back.

Had the lawsuit not eaten up so many years, I suspect TD may have made a third and even a fourth Bond movie before PB took over in 1995.

The person to blame for this Eon -- for not settling the lawsuits sooner with MGM and Kevin McClory. Had they done that, things would have been different for all parties.

Note....Eon had a similar agreement with the Austin Powers folks for "The Spy Who Shagged Me." All they (Eon) had to do was make the same suggestion, and this name game with "Goldmember" would have been over a lot sooner.

I think Eon likes being in court. It reminds Mikey G. of his roots.

-- Xenobia

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:21 PM

Dr. Tynan (17 Apr, 2002 08:09 p.m.):
Welcome to CBNet Byron :)

You know how I feel about Timothy Dalton from our days at Universal Exports.

So, youre the same Tynan from Universal Exports? Well, I was there too, for a while. I was "Jimmy" for a while then I was "Jimmy007" I recently went back there to take a look at the boards and they are horrible. Worse than Bond20.com was.

As for Dalton, it will always be "What if" we will always think about it, but I dont think he'll be Bond again. Unless we go back in time and stop the legal cases from happening :)

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:28 PM

JimmyBond (17 Apr, 2002 11:21 p.m.) (Edited): So, youre the same Tynan from Universal Exports?

I sure am :)

I hope that aint a bad thing :)

#7 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 10:33 PM

I agree with much of what's been said. I place the blame for the situation, and many other problems in the last forty years of 007 history, squarely on Kevin McClory, though. In any case...

Timothy Dalton's Bond was one of a kind and his film's were distinct and powerful. It's very disappointing that only two of them were made. I, too, wish we could have had at least one more hard edged, realistic, Dalton starring Bond film. Unfortunately, that isn't what happened.

I see no reason to boycott Brosnan's Bond films as a result. We're fortunate that Dalton was a part of the franchise. Now things have moved on and Brosnan's films are distinct and notable in their own regard. It's nice to stop and speculate about what could have been but we can only enjoy "The Living Daylights" and "License to Kill" for what they are.

Let's be thankful for Dalton's era.

#8 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 12:50 AM

I am a big Fleming/Bond fan and for me Dalton captured that Bond in a way no other actor had.It is a shame that at that time (when the producers were rebelling against the Roger Moore years,)that none of the classic Bond novels were left to explore.
I think Dalton would have really,left his mark had he been given a chance in something like OHMSS. but ....it wasn,t to be.
However....I think the time for another Dalton style Bond has passed (as much as I would like to see it,I think the producers are moving away from it) and if anyone wants to read the Girl With The Golden Guns thread on "The New Next Bond" I am now attempting to make a case for another tongue in cheek Roger Moore style Bond.
This is despite the fact that I rate the Roger Moore movies as the "Least Bond" of the Bond Movies.
I just think that done right(with a modern sense of irony,)there is room for a bit more humour,action and spectacle in the cinema today.
If I cant have Bond done properly, and thats not going to happen as long as they hang onto a PG certificate,then I say at least lets have it done as good old fashioned entertainment.