5 replies to this topic

#1 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

I'm going to have to say by far, its the Best Gardner i've read lately, i got done with Seafire, and on other two weeks ago, and i started No Deals, Mr Bond in the car on the way to school its execllent...he's allways trying to use different bond formulas and ideas but this one is orginal but based more like Fleming or something it actual feels like a Cold War novel... maybe i'm praising it to earily i'm at the stage of 'Dog Eat Dog.' so it could go down hill LOL..

#2 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:21 PM

Luckily, it was one of my first Gardner novels. It really thrills. Nice plot, nice locations, Chernov's a great villain. The usual Gardner overdose of needless doublecrosses, though. Still it works, and ROCKS!

P.S. Gardner's mistake: Chernov's nick name should be Kostya, not Kolya.

#3 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:23 PM

I've tried to enjoy this one...I just can't. I agree it feels like a cold war novel and I can see how it's enjoyable for people on that level, but I prefer the more movieish Gardner books. For Special Services is my all time favorite. Of course, that the book where I really get to shine. :)

Let us know what you think when you finish it, MrDraco. :)

#4 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:25 PM

Oh! P.S. I wish they would have called the book BLACKFRIAR.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

I've always thought this one to be average. I love the opening chapters, but after that, in my opinion, it starts to get muddled throughout and I don't think it helps it. Indeed, this is what to expect from Gardner, with the numerous double crosses and trying to always have the reader ask questions, still, it's a fine Gardner book for me.

Not my favorite of his, but much better than some of his other work!

Recommended!

#6 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:03 AM

it's one of my favorites....... never before was Bond the main target........ for the WHOLE plot