4 replies to this topic

#1 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:03 AM

Hi, everybody. I hope it's okay to plug my own debut to fanfic, DEATH IS AN ALLY.

It's my first in series featuring Agent 005, Thomas Mansfield. He's a bit of the anti-Bond- less sophisticated... :)

I'm preparing a Second Edition to correct some typos (it is my first novel after all). I'm also preparing my next one, which will be even bolder in some ways than the first. The third will go very far. :)

It's set in the cinematic timeline (during Bond's ordeal in North Korea).

And I attempt to "wax Fleming" so to speak. :)

[quote]The thin, blue rising lines of smoke danced and curled delicately into the air from the tip of the cigarette.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

I downloaded this from MI6 the other day but haven't had chance to read it yet.
I can't wait to though as it looks quite good. My only problem would be that you've set it in the cinematic timeline and I prefer my fan fiction to take place in the Fleming universe. But as it's a different character I can't see it being too much of a problem.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

This reads very well. I think I will enjoy reading it a lot!

-- Xenobia

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

I wouldn't get too far into this Xen. I was drawing up a list for the FFRC earlier and this was included. It's on about Week 9 at the moment.

#5 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:44 AM

I downloaded this from MI6 the other day but haven't had chance to read it yet.
I can't wait to though as it looks quite good. My only problem would be that you've set it in the cinematic timeline and I prefer my fan fiction to take place in the Fleming universe. But as it's a different character I can't see it being too much of a problem.

Yeah, well there's a reason for it. I've wanted to write about the literary Bond for a while, but I didn't want to "half-rear end" it. This was my first novel, and it's really kind of a learning experience for me. I'm into writing, and I've done screenplay work and short stories- but never a novel. I wanted to do something I knew well, and something I could have a lot of freedom with.

So, I created 005. I also didn't feel up to tacking the character of Bond. I wanted to do something different, but I didn't feel confident in what to do. Thomas Mansfield gave me the freedom to explore the main character in a way that wouldn't be possible with Bond.

I've read the (Fleming) Bond books, but I don't feel up to writing about that yet. I surely don't want to do "Benson Era" stuff, because the literary Bond should be human- not the most active 80 year old on earth. :) I've got some future ideas for stories set mostly in the late 1960's with an aging Bond.

005 is sort of a hybrid of Fleming/film. DEATH IS AN ALLY is closer in tone to FYEO or the Dalton films, but I'm going in a slightly different direction with the next one. It's more Connery-esqe, but also plays out more like a novel. Mansfield will get hurt and so on.

So basically I just wanted to do something different. :) I wanted to make an interesting character and I didn't want to just type up a story. I'm serious about writing, and the first novel alone has given me a lot of insight into the whole mechanics of storytelling.

I expect the second to me even more polished than the first. :)

EDIT:

I wouldn't get too far into this Xen. I was drawing up a list for the FFRC earlier and this was included. It's on about Week 9 at the moment.

I'll be very happy to get some feedback. :) There are already some parts that I'm looking to tweak for the Second Edition.

When this comes up in your FFRC I'll post a link to my updated Chapter 24, the last chapter on the novel. :)

Edited by White Tuxedo, 09 February 2004 - 12:48 AM.