10 replies to this topic

#1 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:05 PM

As this is my number one Bond film, I was curious what everyone else thinks of it.

I just loved it, fast paced, plot twists, a doublecross, and no bits of trying too hard to be funny or anything like that. It was a clever way to expand on Fleming's short story. Necros is a terrific villain and the stunts/action were great. I think this is the perfect example of how a movie, completey based on an original idea (except for the ten min. after the title sequence) could seem Flemingish.

Oh yeah, and td1 IS Bond!

#2 D-Murda

D-Murda

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:10 PM

It took me awhile to understand Georgi's purpose in the film until I watched it a couple of times and then fell in love with it, and watched it almost everyday after school.

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:13 PM

I love this film too! I must admit I found the plot confusing when I saw it the first few times, but now I really love it. Pre-title sequence is the best.

Its a shame Dalton is no longer 007

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:17 PM

RITZ (12 Apr, 2002 11:13 p.m.):
Its a shame Dalton is no longer 007

That's what I've said on many ocassions. I wish it were Dalton who's ushering in the twentieth movie.

#5 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:22 PM

TD's still looks good for a 56 yr old. I saw him in a clip for the film "Possesed" - he looks OK.

#6 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:24 PM

"The Living Daylights" certainly is a fantastic film. It had nearly all the elements of an entertaining and, just as important, realistic spy thriller. I've always enjoyed Dalton's hard edged Bond.

There is, however, one glaring flaw with the film which I feel can't be overlooked. "The Living Daylights" may be the only Bond film lacking a strong leading villain. Necros, a mere henchman, is the most menacing and formidable of the foes we are shown. Both Koskov and Whitaker are laughable at best, sniveling and often helpless men executing grand crimes for petty reasons. Bond is never really given a force to fight against.

Beyond the lack of a true nemesis, however, the film is a strong one. I've always enjoyed it.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:29 PM

I'd probably put TLD in the middle.

I also think Timothy Dalton should've done more. He's my favourite.

#8 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 10:30 PM

Microglobe One (12 Apr, 2002 11:24 p.m.):
Necros, a mere henchman, is the most menacing and formidable of the foes we are shown. Both Koskov and Whitaker are laughable at best, sniveling and often helpless men executing grand crimes for petty reasons. Bond is never really given a force to fight against.

Beyond the lack of a true nemesis, however, the film is a strong one. I've always enjoyed it.

I liked the villains, it was a nice change of pace to have rather low key, more realisitic villains. An arms dealer and a traitorous Russian officer as oppose to the crazed super villain living in a hollowed out volcano. :)

#9 D-Murda

D-Murda

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:07 PM

It took me awhile to understand Georgi's purpose in the film until I watched it a couple of times and then fell in love with it, and watched it almost everyday after school.

#10 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 04:43 PM

TLD is my favourite film - it performs in every department. There is something classic, timeless about it. The key ring is the best gadget ever, Dalton makes the other Bonds look like schoolboy wannabes, Kara has an important role for a Bond girl, and instead of being the normal trophy bimbo she is actually clever and talented, especially with a cello. The car chase is absolutely riveting, with the best car since the DB5. It is also the most romantic film, apart from OHMSS - Bond is quite sweet towards Kara instead of the normal treat 'em mean keep 'em keen attitude. The villains complement each other perfectly. Necros is menacing and scary as hell, Whittaker is nasty and coarse and Koskov is charming and deceptive. The small amounts of subtle humour are also good - for instance when they drive of the plane and Bond says that he knows an excellent restaurant in Karachi, and when they use the cello case as a sleigh. The whole film is quite superb.

#11 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:21 AM

I personally love it and would probably put it in my top 5. Kara is gorgeous, the car is awesome, the locations are good, the precredits sequence is great, and Dalton is a great Bond.