This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who should continue the literary series?

47 replies to this topic

Poll: WHO SHOULD CONTINUE THE LITERARY SERIES?

WHO SHOULD CONTINUE THE LITERARY SERIES?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:09 PM

I think they might. :)

Outta interest, how much would a person get paid if the wrote a Bond novel that was about 300 pages? :)

#32 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

Why not? Would you want to.

Hmmm.... don't know. I haven't attempted any creative fiction for years. Maybe I'll have a crack at a Bond fanfic at some point, but I'm holding off until inspiration really hits me. Probably quite a wise move on my part when I tell you some of the ideas I've had so far, such as: a story opening with two men punching and kicking the living daylights out of each other. One man finally gains the advantage and uses his foot to pin his adversary's head to the floor. The chap on the floor says: "Sorry, 007, but this changes nothing. I've told you three times: you're not getting a pay rise this year." Bond (for it its he) takes his foot off the other fellow's face and helps him up from the floor. "Okay, M," Bond says to him, "I won't ask again." The two men bow to each other. Turns out that 007 and the new M (a hard-as-nails ex-military bloke) have been taking part in a martial arts class at MI6. As the story *cough cough* progresses, we learn that Bond is fighting suicidal depression and that a series of horrifying terrorist attacks blamed on Islamic extremists is turning Britain into a police state. Bond survives a bomb outrage in Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, which along with a number of simultaneous blasts traps hundreds of thousands of people on the London Underground. Our hero is sent to hunt down those responsible, and, basically, to cut a long story short, it transpires that high-ranking members of the British establishment are behind these (supposedly Islamic) terrorist attacks, seeking an excuse for Britain to invade Pakistan and ultimately re-establish the British Empire. Right, you can wake up now. :) Like I say, I'm holding off until inspiration hits me.

As for how I currently earn a crust, I'm a transport journalist for controlled circulation magazines. Don't want to name publications or companies, since I'm currently (quietly) considering pastures new.

Sounds like your father had an interesting career, Doc. :)

#33 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:32 PM

Thanks mate. :) I'd have put you down as a Broadsheet journalist. You'd also be a good Broadsheet features writer. Why not apply to one of them? Maybe that's what you're thinking off. :)

Is it true Journalists always have to be thinking about what their next story is? :) and that anyone who is easily stressed, should not consider a career in any sort of Journalism? :)

#34 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:38 PM

Is it true Journalists always have to be thinking about what their next story is? :)

Depends on the publication and on whether you're an investigative reporter, a freelance, a staff writer, someone who basically just rewrites press releases, a critic.... depends, really. Never a bad idea to always be thinking about what your next story will be, I suppose.

and that anyone who is easily stressed, should not consider a career in any sort of Journalism? :)

No. Journalism's no more stressful than anything else. In fact, it's much less stressful than many, many other lines of work. Mind you, I must resort again to: "It depends." I mean, if you're an undercover journalist who's been hanging around with, say, a criminal gang for several weeks.... (never done that kind of thing myself, BTW).

#35 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:44 PM

And also, I'm not saying all journalists are like this, but a lot of the ones my dad knew "Liked their lemon juice." :) I'm really referring to something else.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:47 PM

And also, I'm not saying all journalists are like this, but a lot of the ones my dad knew "Liked their lemon juice." :)

Doesn't surprise me. :)

#37 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 03:53 PM

I'm sorry I must be a total idiot, but is Benson still writing them or was TMWTRT it for him? I was looking forward to dome more Benson novels...

#38 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 04:41 PM

Benson seems to be done. It was left a bit open ended, but essentially IFP did not pick up his contract. At this point it looks most likely that we will not being seeing another new Bond novel for at least a while.

Welcome to CBn, by the way, dajman. May I direct you to the fanfic section for your new novel fix? :)

#39 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:28 PM

Is it true Journalists always have to be thinking about what their next story is? :) and that anyone who is easily stressed, should not consider a career in any sort of Journalism? :)

I'm a journalist too, but I've chosen a journalism path where the stress is pretty minimal. The pay is crap, but I supplement it with another job. As far as thining about the next story, yeah, I sometimes get some anxiety about it, but it never overwhelms me.

#40 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:44 PM

That's interesting Turn. :)

As far as pay goes, I think it depends who you write for. I was reading this article on the net that said that, currently, UK Journalists pay is laughably bad. They were saying that it's a disgrace.

I think Jim would make a brilliant Journalist. In fact, I'm slightly envious of Jim, because he could be a rich bastard (i use that word in a nice sense :) ). He could add on to his Editor pay each week by writing an article or two for a newspaper.

#41 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:44 PM

Dr. T, it depends on what you want to do in journalism. I've heard about some making an "abysmal" wage, but would make my salary look truly pathetic. But the way I look at it is twice or three times the stress for a bit more pay wouldn't be worth it. I didn't get into this line of work because I knew I would make money, just because it was where my interest was. Besides, it allows me to surf CBn several times a day.

And, yeah, Jim's use of language is great to behold.

#42 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:43 PM

We've turned this thread into a discussion on journalism. :) I had an interest in it, then the interest subsided. I'm not saying I thought I'd be great at it, just that I was interested. I was going to go on a Journalism course when I was 18 and then decide against it. I'm not sure whether or not I regret that. Often people tend to think they'll do what their father does (though I've no BIG interest in sport, I wanted to be a news guy), I think. What I mean is I'm not sure either way if I was ever VERY interested in Journalism.

Are you American Turn or Europrean? :)

#43 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:45 PM

Are you American Turn or Europrean? :)

Sorry for the late response, but I'm an American. None of my family were journalists, but they were all big-time readers and my paternal grandfather had a huge interest in writing.

Besides, there are several areas of news. And as for interest or lack of interest in sport, my specialty is sports writing. But I do harder news stuff and featues now and then too.

#44 scotsman

scotsman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:17 PM

Alexander McCall Smith would be an excellent choice.He would take the novels back to the style and feel of the Fleming originals,I feel.

#45 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:37 AM

I don't care who writes the next bond novel just as long as there is one, so I voted accordingly.

BTW, and hate to sound uninformed, but is Martin Amis actually related to Kingsley?

#46 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:38 AM

He's Kingsley's son. :)

#47 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:51 AM

Well, there you go. Have always wondered this. Thanks Doc.

#48 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:07 AM

No probs :)