10 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 11:22 PM

- Early on, Gardner credits the reader with a reasonably large vocabulary (with "The knife appeared in Bond's right hand as though by some practised legerdemain"), but with zero general knowledge, writing of "a big man who came every month from Cairo, Egypt".

- Is it not improbable that Bond would be unaware that his so-called great friend Felix Leiter had a grown-up daughter? Why would Leiter not have mentioned Cedar to Bond? Out of concern for her safety, perhaps - but Gardner informs us that Cedar has heard quite a bit about Bond from her father. Why would he have discussed 007 with her? First rule of intelligence work: everything's on a need-to-know basis*, and one should never blab - especially not to loved ones.

- How come Bond doesn't notice that Nena has only one breast until she's lying naked in bed with him? It's tough to swallow (as the actress said to the bishop), especially given 007's keen eye for "perfectly rounded" figures.

- Does anyone else feel that a "spilling of the beans" scene at the end between Nena and Bond, in which she tells him exactly how she managed to resurrect SPECTRE, would have been very nice? As it stands, the book leaves a few unanswered questions. After all, one does not simply walk into the top job in the world's largest terrorist organisation.... even if one is related to its late founder.

- Finally, who kills Nena? Bond or Leiter? Okay, I'm certain that it's Bond, but it's worded somewhat ambiguously.

*Or so I gather from watching Bond films. :)

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

I hate the idea of having Felix's daughter as a Bond girl. Its just plain disgusting, not to mention completely ridiculous. Its these types of things that make me wonder if Gardner even read the Fleming books.

#3 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:19 PM

But Bond and Cedar doesn't have sex or do they. Ugh, if they do :)

#4 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:05 AM

I think Gardner left it behind the scenes, implied in the title, perhaps. Surely, Cedar did some SPECIAL SERVICE for Bond :)

Seriously, I never gave it a thought about Leiter's daughter's existence being unknown to Bond. Now I agree it's ridiculous. The knack of a professional author, though, is to persuade the reader in improbable. In this case, John Gardner succeeded doing it. But now my illusions are shattered. Bond can't have been unaware of her.

#5 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:23 AM

And the thing that confuses me more is just how old is Felix's daughter supposed to be. If shes in her early twenties, that means bond and felix would have to be at least mid forties, if not late fifties. So a fifty year old man getting it with a 20 year old girl whose father is his best mate, its just gross really.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:24 PM

bond and felix would have to be at least mid forties, if not late fifties.

Posing as an expert on rare prints, Bond claims to have fought in World War II (okay, he has grey hair as part of his disguise, but still....). The book is set in 1982!

A thumping good read, though, "For Special Services".

#7 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:54 PM

Agreed.
Gardner does manage to create a real suspense in the Markus's estate scenes. Reminds me of MOONRAKER.

But the elevator scene seems needless to me. It leads nowhere. Neither Bond gains anything, neither the hoodlums do. The plot has to be driven from one event to another, like a chain. While in this case, this link removed, nothing changes. I hope I make myself clear.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:43 PM

Gardner does manage to create a real suspense in the Markus's estate scenes.

Agreed.

But the elevator scene seems needless to me. It leads nowhere. Neither Bond gains anything, neither the hoodlums do. The plot has to be driven from one event to another, like a chain. While in this case, this link removed, nothing changes.

Again, agreed. And it's not as though it's an especially exciting action sequence - in fact, it seems pretty tame. Let's face it: a plunging lift (elevator) ought to be child's play for James Bond. Add a burning city hall to the mix and we're talking. :)

#9 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

Well, we must admit Gardner wrote this episode before AVTAK. This website seems to have a nice article on this subject, though.

About SPECTRE

#10 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:50 PM

For Special Services is my favorite Bond book. The race between the Saab turbo and Walter Luxor's Mustang GT -- which goes on for a full chapter -- is my favorite action scene in any Bond book. It's very well written. Gardner at his best.

#11 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

Anyone think Felix Leiter's sister might have been a more appropriate choice?

And also, again, does anyone remember Blofeld had sylphilis?