5 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:11 PM

I've read people saying that the felt that Tim looked as if he felt he was slumming by doing the Bonds. I've never seen that myself. He seemed to take it on as a serious role.

Theatre seems to be his main interest but obviously TV and movies pays the rent better, so he seems happy to do any movies to finance a return to theatre.

He seems to do this to such an extent that he turns up in all sorts of rubbish. Things like The Beautician and the Beast. I've just started watching Bitter Suite which after 20 minutes looks like a very predictable family comedy, but he still seems to be having a laugh at himself.

Does anyone else think his serious approach to 007 is often misread that he is someone who cannot portray humour or see the funnier side or send himself up (lie Roger)??

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:40 PM

I think he was a fantastic Bond. :)

Also, Roger Moore said right out in some interview that he played the role with humour because it was intended to be taken lightly--a fact which a lot of people seem to have forgotten. However this does not mean one has to yell like Tarzan or have impeccable clown makeup to be James Bond...

(Oh and I like the clown thing, just the first thing off the top of my head!)

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:57 PM

I have great respect for Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Brosnan but Dalton WAS Fleming's Bond. He's a great actor and his portrayal of 007 was excellent.

I admit some of his other films are poor - I once saw him in a film playing a corupt police officer with a Texas accent(can't remember the name). Its a shame that he didn't get more high profile parts after doing the Bond movies, but i've read that Dalton is a very private man and unfortunately he doesn't like the Bond image anymore.
If it wasn't for the legal problems with EON, i'm sure that Dalton would have become a REALLY big star.

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 10:02 PM

I think that Dalton is liked by most people who were born the 80s. This being due to most probably the fact that The Living Daylights was the first Bond film they saw and it would have been a Premiere on TV. I know that this is certainly the case for me.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 02:50 AM

I mentioned in another thread that Dalton has the most diverse body of work of all the Bond actors. It was mostly in response to one poster who felt the need to constantly bash Dalton. It's funny, after I made that post, I haven't seen him pop up since then.

Dalton was definitely a great Bond. There was no way he was slumming here, it was his highest profile role ever, including his Rhett Butler role. True, he has been in some bad roles the past few years. I saw him on a made-for-cable family channel movie a year or two ago. But he always mixes in other interesting, diverse roles and never seems to be out of work.

Not to take anything away from the other Bond actors, but their careers aren't really close to Dalton's in terms of what he's done as a whole, including Connery. Connery's normally the stoic guy with the same accent, although he's one of my favorite actors. Moore is almost always the suave guy. Lazenby doesn't count as he's rarely seen. And Brosnan is normally a suave, hero type, but occasionally takes an off-beat role like in Grey Owl or Mars Attacks.

#6 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 04:12 PM

Just in case I wasn't clear at the outset, I'm often not as the day wears on, I am a big fan of Dalton. It just surprises me as to some of the movies he takes on.

For the record, I've seen a bit more of Bitter Suite, and whilst it is predictable, it is also likeable. And Dalton still looks in good enough shape to have been 007 through to the late 90s.