54 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:44 PM

I've just posted a "flashback" review of one of my favorite Raymond Benson books, HIGH TIME TO KILL, on the main page.

To read, click HERE.

(You can also read my review of THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO HERE.)

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

This is a Benson novel I have never read....thanks for the review zencat!

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:53 PM

This is a Benson novel I have never read....thanks for the review zencat!

Cool! Read it with my review in mind...tell me if I nailed it, or if I'm off my nut. :)

#4 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:56 PM

Great review. I think it might be time for me to have another look at this book. The first time I read it I remember thinking that some of the action was a bit poorly described, but I agree that the premise (Bond meets Cliffhanger, as you describe it) is a good one.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:59 PM

I've never been quite sure of my view on this book. First I loved it, then I hated it. Now I can safely say it is one of his better one's after reading it numerous times.

The villain, well, let's just say that if I had a gun, I'd be shooting the book where his character is. He's very easy to hate. :)

BTW, excellent review Zencat! :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:03 AM

Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure posting a review of a 5-year-old book was what people wanted to read on the main page, but I was surprised that no one had ever reviewed HTTK for CBn, so...

Thanks again. :)

#7 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:20 AM

I am re-reading HTTK right now! Great review by the way, zencat! Personally, I think NDOD is Benson's best, but HTTK is such a fun read and a near second.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:31 AM

I am re-reading HTTK right now! Great review by the way, zencat! Personally, I think NDOD is Benson's best, but HTTK is such a fun read and a near second.

Actually, I also think NDOD is his best book overall. But I love HTTK for it's high concept, etc. While NDOD is his best, HTTK is my favorite, if that makes any sense.

#9 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

I have never read this one. With school under control, and the Odyssey starting to wind down, i'll start reading this one someday soon.

#10 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:42 AM

Great review, but why did u feel the need to bash DAD and other films? The books and the films are now like apples and oranges, with comparisions between them mostly worthless by now.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:44 AM

Great review, but why did u feel the need to bash DAD and other films? The books and the films are now like apples and oranges, with comparisions between them mostly worthless by now.

How did I bash DAD and other films? :)

#12 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:49 AM

Sorry, bash isnt the right word.
But the points where u compare Halle Berry's sea walk to Hope undressing, and the bit where u call the film's formula cliche's etc I feel have no place in a book review. They may be valid complaints, but feel out of place to me.
I guess i'm just dont see the need to criticise other films/books etc when you want to praise one.
The rest of the review was fantastic though, and I agree on all points.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:55 AM

Oh, yeah, you

#14 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

This is the best Benson book, imo........ he really goes back to Fleming for this one......

#15 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:15 AM

One of the first Bond novels I read. It's a great read! :)

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:22 AM

Is there nothing wrong with the book, John?

Nothing at all?

I would agree that it is a sound story; I have never doubted Mr Benson's plots. However, to write a review that concentrates on the plot (and not how it is written)and then slip in at the end a suggestion that Fleming would have eventually written a similar effort is a little disingenuous, and hardly representative of Mr Benson's narrative style. Are you really saying that Mr Benson is as capable a writer (as opposed to story deviser) as Mr Fleming? Or, even (and this I must say I find astonishing), that had he tried harder, Fleming might eventually have written something as rootin' tootin' fine and dandy as...um...High Time to Kill. That's the implication from that phrase, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you if any of that implication coveys your true intent.

However, I have no desire to discourage anyone else from expressing themselves with articles such as these.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

Please keep these articles coming, zencat. I'd love CBn to become the web resource on the literary Bond of all eras, and this is a step in the right direction. Perhaps we could really get all the novels covered while waiting for BOND 21.

*Feeble impression of Carver from TOMORROW NEVER DIES* I want Fleming! I want Amis! I want Gardner! I want Benson! I want us on the air 24 hours....

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:21 AM

I would agree that it is a sound story; I have never doubted Mr Benson's plots. However, to write a review that concentrates on the plot (and not how it is written)and then slip in at the end a suggestion that Fleming would have eventually written a similar effort is a little disingenuous, and hardly representative of Mr Benson's narrative style. Are you really saying that Mr Benson is as capable a writer (as opposed to story deviser) as Mr Fleming? Or, even (and this I must say I find astonishing), that had he tried harder, Fleming might eventually have written something as rootin' tootin' fine and dandy as...um...High Time to Kill. That's the implication from that phrase, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you if any of that implication coveys your true intent.

I simply meant that Fleming would have eventually written a book with the similar high-concept as KTTK -- James Bond goes mountaineering. I could see Fleming embarking on this type of escapade himself, then returning to Goldeneye to write Bond adventure using his experiences. Obviously, what he would have come up would have been different from Benson's book in plot and style. Would have been a hell of a book.

#19 BondzBK

BondzBK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:41 PM

No offense to you, Zencat - but to me, "High Time To Kill" is like every other Bond book by Raymond Benson: utter c--p that is completely unreadable. I didn't think there could ever be a worse possible writer to inherit the mantle after John Gardner (himself, hack of hacks), but wow, the Bond people proved me wrong. Somewhere Fleming is spinning in his grave. At this rate, look for the next Bond series to be printed on the back of a cereal box.

#20 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

Nice review, John. I like the book as well. Keep up the good work.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:43 PM

No offense to you, Zencat - but to me, "High Time To Kill" is like every other Bond book by Raymond Benson: utter c--p that is completely unreadable.  I didn't think there could ever be a worse possible writer to inherit the mantle after John Gardner (himself, hack of hacks), but wow, the Bond people proved me wrong.  Somewhere Fleming is spinning in his grave.  At this rate, look for the next Bond series to be printed on the back of a cereal box.

:)

*zencat crosses BondzBK off his Christmas card list*

:)

Just kidding, my friend. All opinions are welcome, and you will find people here on CBn who agree with you. But for me the guy "gets it" (or "got it"). Let's hope when (and if) IFP decides to continue with the continuation novels they choose someone we both will love. The literary Bond deserves the best.

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:55 PM

to me, "High Time To Kill" is ... utter c--p that is completely unreadable.

I agree. Still, I think we need more articles like zencat's (not that you're dissing his piece, BondzBK). I find the Benson oeuvre a very mixed bag, but I'll always welcome coverage of it on CBn, ditto coverage of Amis and Gardner. Helps to set us apart nicely from other fansites, for one thing.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:00 PM

Glad to see even people who aren't fans of Benson like my review. :) I thinking of doing a review of Never Dream of Dying next.

Also, and I hate to say this but it's in the overall interest of CBn...if someone feels we need some balance they can write a counter review to mine.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

Why don't you interview Benson, getting him to talk about all of his books?

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:04 PM

Looking forward to it! I think this is the best place to find out pretty much everything about the Benson books.

High Time To Kill, I feel, is one of Benson's most different books, for how he takes the location and fuses the whole story into it. I think the location is the main player in this one, because it is emphasized much more, than in many of his other books. I like that it's a bit different, and it's a good book.

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:05 PM

Glad to see even people who aren't fans of Benson like my review. :)

Oh, I'm a fan. I mean, I've spent my hard-earned cash on his books, so.... it's just that I'm not, well, wild about him. :) But make no mistake, he's given me reading pleasure, and I mean what I say about wanting more coverage on him.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:06 PM

Why don't you interview Benson, getting him to talk about all of his books?

I want to do that. I'd like to do a retrospective on Benson the way he did one on Gardner. It's on my list of things to do (when I have the time). It's a great excuse to go to Chicago. :)

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:11 PM

I want to do that. I'd like to do a retrospective on Benson the way he did one on Gardner.

Yes! Do it! I mean, if not you - who?

And hopefully it'll make its way into a future edition of the "Bedside Companion". :)

#29 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:43 PM

I think this whole thread is great. So what if the book is 5 years old, every one who has read it (and probably some who haven't) have an opinion about it.

I liked the book but didn't love it. I thought it was the best of the Union Trilogy (which I think were Benson's weakest books though I enjoyed his attempt at a "new SPECTRE" which wasn't SPECTRE).

While I'm here let me throw out an idea I had while reading the book which I thihk would have made it better:

Le Gerant is seen only in shadow by his leutenants throughout the book I believe. Bond's secretary (was it Leolia Ponsonby or a successor?) goes missing. Wouldn't it have been a mind blower if at the end we find out the secretary was not used by the Union but was the Union... that she was Le Gerant?

I'd love to hear what people think of that even if it's "B007GLE is out of his gourd!"

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:45 PM

Le Gerant is seen only in shadow by his leutenants throughout the book I believe. Bond's secretary (was it Leolia Ponsonby or a successor?) goes missing. Wouldn't it have been a mind blower if at the end we find out the secretary was not used by the Union but was the Union... that she was Le Gerant?

I'd love to hear what people think of that even if it's "B007GLE is out of his gourd!"

Now that would have been different! I must say, it would have been interesting to see that this woman that Bond was close to, turned out to be what you say! Very different indeed!