15 replies to this topic

#1 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:49 AM

..........I actually think these are two of the best behind Icebreaker..........

........they have stories that are complex, but not confusing (as some of Gardner's novels can be)....... I have heard that many ppl don't like them.... why?

........My only annoyances in Scorpius was how Bond desides that he can't possibly convince Harrriet not to go with him. That's just stupid, considering it's a life or death situation. The Scorpius death scene is very well handled until the end, when it is totally thrown into self-parody with Scorpius's riddiculous "NOOOOOOoooooooo!" scream. That was cringeworthy.

........and, in Win, Lose, or Die, Bond is doing all right up until around half-way.... where he starts missing things..... essentially, he doesn't do a whole hell of a lot to help the situation. The women always end up saving him here...... in the ending too.... where it was a bit weak, imo.

however, I enjoyed these books and was not really bored by either of them at any moment..... unlike some of his earlier books.

P.S. Please don't put spoilers concering the books that follow Win, Lose, or Die in this thread...... I haven't read em' yet. :)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:59 AM

I like both of them and WLOD took me a very long time to track down, but it was well woth the effort. It's very different than his other books, I feel, with the Naval side of Bond's life clearly showing. A great read with a solid Bond girl and a good pace. My only complaint is the rushed finale, I think.

#3 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:39 AM

I like both of them and WLOD took me a very long time to track down, but it was well woth the effort. It's very different than his other books, I feel, with the Naval side of Bond's life clearly showing. A great read with a solid Bond girl and a good pace. My only complaint is the rushed finale, I think.

yes, I would agree........ the finale seems too rushed..... it all happens in around 10 pages I think...... much too short.....

#4 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 04:40 PM

...........and what is Garnder's obssession of David Hockey art works......... he mentions them in almost every novel!

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 06:15 PM

I think NO DEALS MR BOND and ROLE OF HONOR were the two best Gardner novels after ICEBREAKER.

#6 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 06:18 PM

No Deals, Mr. Bond is the one where they hunt him down right? if so, yes....... that one is very well done........

Roll of Honor tho....... I just don't like it....... way to complex a story......

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:02 PM

I thought No Deals, Mr Bond, was okay, it just seemed a bit muddled. I think he used a similar plot in Death is Forever, but I think it came off a bit more clearly.

Role Of Honor was okay, but I thought the villain was not as good as I thought this person would be. Probably my least favorite of the SPECTRE trilogy, but I still enjoyed it.

#8 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:23 AM

I thought No Deals, Mr Bond, was okay, it just seemed a bit muddled. I think he used a similar plot in Death is Forever, but I think it came off a bit more clearly.

Role Of Honor was okay, but I thought the villain was not as good as I thought this person would be. Probably my least favorite of the SPECTRE trilogy, but I still enjoyed it.

the villain was probably downplayed so that Rahani could be exposed at the end.......

....... I just found it to be rather confsing with all that computer crime stuff.......

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:04 AM

All this talk about his early books is really whetting my appetite to read them again! I've only read them a couple times each.

***SPOILER***

I found Jay Autem Holy to be a bit bland, but I think Tamil Rahani was in top form in Nobody Lives Forever. I thought the computer (or 'micro' as they called them :))plot in ROH was okay, but not as good as it could have been.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:36 AM

No Deals, Mr. Bond is the one where they hunt him down right? if so, yes....... that one is very well done........

No you are thinking of NOBODY LIVES FOREVER.....I never really liked NLF.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:38 AM

Really? You're absolutely entitled to you opinion Snow, I'm just wondering why. :)

I thought it was another welcome addition with a fast pace, and a generally simple, yet very effective plot. It seems when Gardner comes up with simple plots, they work very well in the end. (NLF, NSF)

#12 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:15 PM

I find it to be ridiculously overrated. I liked it, but i think does not deserve the HUGE praise it gets.

#13 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:22 PM

I find it to be ridiculously overrated. I liked it, but i think does not deserve the HUGE praise it gets.

why?

#14 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:15 PM

Just my personal opinion. I had always read amazing reviews about this book. And when i finished i thought it was kind of dissappointing, didnt really live up to the hype. I'm not saying it sucks or it's terrible, i just don't feel it is THAT deserving of such high praise.

#15 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

hmmmmm......... yeah..... I can understand that..... maybe you might think better of it if you hadn't heard any hype about it.......

............I'm just reading em' all now..... without looking for reviews or anything...... only seeing what ppl think of them on these boards....... maybe that's why I liked it so much......

........did you like Icebreaker?

#16 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

I liked Icebreaker, the reviews i had read of it, were not good. It exceeded any expectation i had of it. I mean, I never put it down. Very few things have that effect on me.