22 replies to this topic

#1 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:14 PM

OK, so flicking through Goldfinger the other night.

During the meal with Mr Du Pont, Du Pont gets round to describing the man who has been cheating him (for those who haven't read the book, take a wild guess who this is).

States that Bond would think Goldfinger would be a Jew, from the name and that "We're restricted at the Floridiana. Wouldn't have got in if he had been."

NB Mr Du Pont owns part of the Floridiana Hotel, apparently.

Hmm.

It rhymes with clucking bell. Anyone know about segregation policy for hotels in late 1950s? Is this true?

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

I don't know about the late 1950s, but there's a scene in the film Gentlemen's Agreement where Gregory Peck is a reporter posing as a Jew to uncover racism where he is denied a hotel room. That film came out in the late 1940s.

It could very well have been such an unwritten policy at certain ones, but considering the Jewish population Florida has these days it makes you wonder.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

Unfortunately Jim, at that point in the US south if you weren't a White Anglo Saxon Protestant, depending on the size of the bug up the racist's derriere, you could be locked out for any number of reasons, and yes Anti-Semtism was one of them.

It happened to a teacher of mine in another part of the country. She checked in as Tarrot, which isn't obviously Jewish, but her friend's name was more obviously Jewish, and the owner would not let her stay. They all left in protest.

-- Xenobia

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

Is this true?

Could well be. After all, we're talking about the country that had separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites in the 1950s, so I don't think it requires a huge leap of the imagination to suppose that certain posh hoteliers made antisemitic rules (and assumed that those whom they regarded as "people like us" shared their anti-Jewish sentiments).

Still, unlike blacks, I doubt that Jews lived under legalised segregation in the States at that time - but they would often have been socially excluded. To echo Turn's point, we're probably in the realm of unwritten policies here.

#5 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:35 PM

Many hotels etc. were "restricted" and many private clubs would not allow Jewish members.

There is a great story where Groucho Marx's daughter came home crying because she was denied permission to swim in a private pool at a country club because she was jewish. (God what were they thinking?!?)

But anyway, Groucho writes to the club and says (I'm paraphrasing) "I can see you banning me from the pool, but my daughter is only half Jewish, can she wade in up to her waist?"

Which is prefect Groucho throwing a light on the whole stupid system!

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:21 AM

Sammy Davis Jr couldn't get a room at The Sands even when he was performing their till the early sixties. So im sure it's entirely likely. And not all that suprising.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:24 AM

Give me your huddled masses yearning to break free, huh?

#8 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:38 AM

Even up here in PA their has been lots of Racial and Semitism problems. Back in the 50's in my area, elitist Golf Courses would not allow Jewish members, they in turn built their own, which today, are slightly better courses.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:33 PM

The going theory back then was "Sure...send them here, we will put them to work, they just shouldn't expect to eat and stay where they work."

-- Xenobia

#10 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:17 AM

The going theory back then was "Sure...send them here, we will put them to work, they just shouldn't expect to eat and stay where they work."

-- Xenobia

Have you ever suffered discrimination for being Italian-American or Catholic or both?

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:56 AM

Unfortunately, I have suffered discrimination because I am a Roman Catholic.

I got mocked a few times on Ash Wednesday, and I have had teachers make presumptions about me because of my faith.

The Italian American stuff is there, and I see it happen to others, but it usually doesn't happen to me because I don't look Italian, and most folks in NYC think I have a Jewish last name.

-- Xenobia

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:16 AM

"Unfortunately, I have suffered discrimination because I am a Roman Catholic."

That still goes on?

#13 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:03 AM

Yes, unfortunately it does. I am at times (quite frequently these days) mad at the decisions the hierarchy makes and forces upon the members of the Church, and yet I stay because ultimately I know it is the faithful, and not the bishops and cardinals that are the true Church.

However, some folks believe that I should leave the Church because "I know better," whatever that means. Because I am Catholic, folks presume that I have no understanding of "the leisure class," that I am narrow minded, that I condone pedophilia, and I am superstitious. I happen to be superstitutious but that has nothing to do with my faith, and I certainly am not narrow minded nor do I condone the abuse of children. As for the leisure class, if you are privledged to be wealthy, that's fine, better than fine actually. I just hope you use your wealth responsibility. Luckily, the very few wealthy people I know, are truly wonderful human beings.

I draw a line between my faith and my religion that few others have the patience to do, and that's their loss.

-- Xenobia

#14 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:05 PM

America, the land of the free. You have to love it :)

I think this all fits nicely with that stereotype topic :)

#15 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:56 PM

It's odd. I myself am not Jewish but I have a lot of friends at the Jewish Community Center. They told me of a golf course that unofficially denies Jewish members (as in they find ways aroound the rules). Where is this golf course located? Why, it's literally across the street from the JCC. Insanity. :)

#16 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:52 AM

"I draw a line between my faith and my religion" How do ya mean? :) Do you mean you believe in God, but don't follow the rules of the Catholic church? :)

Have you ever suffered Job discrimination for being Catholic?

#17 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:42 PM

"I draw a line between my faith and my religion" How do ya mean? :) Do you mean you believe in God, but don't follow the rules of the Catholic church? :)

Have you ever suffered Job discrimination for being Catholic?

Well, I know it was a big deal with JFK in 1960. There were rumours that he would orders from the Pope. :)

#18 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:38 PM

Yes, I have faced discrimination because people think that I would take orders from the Pope. I do not. I happen to have agreed with him on his stance about Iraq...but I don't agree with him all the time.

There are just some rules the Church has made that have almost nothing to do with the faith Christ put forth.

-- Xenobia

#19 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:53 AM

"There were rumours that he would orders from the Pope."

Who said that?

#20 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:02 AM

Unfortunately, I have suffered discrimination because I am a Roman Catholic.

I got mocked a few times on Ash Wednesday, and I have had teachers make presumptions about me because of my faith.

Happens to me too from time to time. Not so much insults or presumptions, but these strange looks followed by "Don't you WORSHIP MARY?" or some equally idiotic question (I live in a very protestant area). It does provide an easy way to get rid of the Christian youth group girls trying to get me to come to the revival at their church...they'll ask where I go to church, I tell them, and once they realize I'm Catholic they realize that I'm too far on the dark side or something and go bother someone else. :)

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, I love how folks think we worship Mary. We don't, we just respect her a lot for all the things she put up with.

In my case, folks work extra hard on me, because I am so nice, they don't want me going to hell. :)

-- Xenobia

#22 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:43 PM

I hate those people that come to the door and beg you to join their religion.

Empty threats about going to hell and living a life of sin are pretty lame: they assume I aren't already in hell...

Isn't it my free choice to go to hell if I want anyway? Who gives them any right? God? I don't think so. I've read the bible. It's amazing how many 'relgious' people haven't got a clue what it means.

Surely these mindless sheep have better things to do, like huddle together and wait for the wolf...

#23 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 06:01 PM

"There were rumours that he would orders from the Pope."

Who said that?

Sorry, I left out the word "take". :)

Well, religion wasn't discussed in Presidental campaigns the way it is today. It was just the whole time. It was the first election with live television coverage, he was the first guy not to wear a hat (like some old fogey), and he was a young, fresh faced WWII veteran. He was more an average guy so to speak. That, and he was Irish Catholic. There was a lot of discrimination against both Irish and Catholics, but it was the Catholic part that worried people. I'm not sure where the rumours started, it was just a general thing. But JFK had to make press confrence to state that he wasn't tied to the Pope, and that Pope wasn't going rule the country.