4 replies to this topic

#1 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:31 PM

Hope that the next Bond author will be just as good as Raymond Benson and in the more Flemingish style that Benson drove through his books. Hope Glidrose finds a new author soon! What do you think a new Bond author should think on and not think on. I've got one tip, do not let Bond get married again. He should be single but think on Tracy (and maybe Flicka) sometimes.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:25 PM

I agree on both points. Let's see the Bond novesls continue (I'd even like to see Benson comes back) and keep Bond a bachelor. Getting married to James Bond is a death sentence.

#3 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:21 PM

Whenever the next writer comes along, I'd like them to keep a clear distinction between the Bond of Fleming's novels and the EON version. Keep it credible. Give 007 his toys to play with but the literary Bond shouldn't be driving anything with built in Stinger missile launchers.
And don't be squeamish. The torture, sadism and perversion that proliferated the original books seemed to get edged out of the continuation novels along with most of Bond's own unsavoury personal characteristics. He is, after all, a professional killer. He shouldn't be portrayed as a PG-13 boy scout.

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:38 PM

I agree on both points. Let's see the Bond novesls continue (I'd even like to see Benson comes back) and keep Bond a bachelor. Getting married to James Bond is a death sentence.

Not to mention his has been "engaged" three times, it gets annoying, never thought Gardner should have done it, tarnished Tracy.

I do not read that much outside of school required and Bond. I would just continue with Benson and if not, give Cork a try.(Perhaps they'll publish some CBn fanfic :) , maybe start a spinoff by adapting my own :) )

Edited by johnboy007, 18 January 2004 - 11:38 PM.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:08 AM

I'm all for Benson to keep going, but it looks like that hope is gone. I too have had enough of the marriage, because you always know how it will end up. Granted, that character was done very well by Gardner, but it just wasn't needed. However, I don't think it detracts too much.

I'm unsure who I'd like to see continue because I really don't know any others who'd be good for a Bond novel. You just have to have that flair, I guess. I'm hoping we see a new one very soon.