18 replies to this topic

#1 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:17 PM

Is this good? I'm planning to buy it and see Benson's first book. Can someone tell the story and locations etc. in it? The cover looks pretty cool I think. So can someone tell me what they thought about it. If you give it good back up I maybe buys it.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

It's a very good Benson book. China is a locale of the book. I don't want to spoil anything, but a villain plans to do *something* to an exchange between Britain and China. Sorry, I'm so vague, but I hate to spoil things for nonreaders yet.

It's a good Benson book, not my favorite of his, but still very good. Recommended. :)

#3 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

Great :)

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

i found it to be a great read and one of bensons best, he knows how to hold ones attention and he knows how to give bond the treatment he deserves.

i only wish he were still writing bond books :)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:21 PM

Benson's first Bond novel and is quite good. I particularly enjoyed the lengthy description of the Mahjong game, Bond's ordeal in the Australian outback, and that fact that his villain is kind of a drunk. Great details all around.

#6 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:47 AM

Zero Minus Ten is my favorite of Benson's. I highly recommend it.

#7 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:12 PM

The only thing that seems to me useless in this book is Bond's trip to China. The story could do without it.

#8 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:51 PM

This may be my favorite Benson novel. I highly recommend it. The fight scene on the airplane is a standout among many very good scenes.

#9 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:59 PM

yeah, and this piece's a good bow to the fight scene from GOLDFINGER

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:56 PM

I rather liked the odd, and seemingly reminiscent 'teaser' in Zero Minus Ten. Even though, it's very different from thr story and this doesn't continue with his other books, somehow I like it alot for his first one.

#11 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:36 PM

I rather liked the odd, and seemingly reminiscent 'teaser' in Zero Minus Ten. Even though, it's very different from thr story and this doesn't continue with his other books, somehow I like it alot for his first one.

I like how the guy says, "I'm here."

Oh, but it isn't Bond. :)

#12 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:06 PM

I'd pick it up. Read's like a mix between a film and Fleming's literary Bond. Worthwhile a look. If your going to read Benson it's probably the best place to start as he lays out for the reader things that have been going on with OO7 in the past and get's Fleming's mentality of Bond out on to the page.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:42 PM

A very good portrayal of the novel, 1q2w3e4r. I think his first novel, Zero Minue Ten has the feel of a James Bond film, and the somewhat odd, yet satisfying opening 'teaser' (Shamelady) only enhances that idea. However, it becomes increasingly more "Bond literary like" as it moves on. The villain seems to be a bit of a letdown for me personally, however, he is not a failure, just could have been better. Still a great read!

I have quite a soft spot for that opening chapter, Shamelady , it was what gave me the idea to creat the beginning of my first own fan fic.

#14 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:01 PM

I must admit. I'm not a huge fan of Benson. His stuff reads more like a screen treatment/script than a novel. I also don't in any way tie it the Fleming Bond. Benson just isn't that league from what I have seen thus far.

That said, I did enjoy ZMT. It has some spots of some good writing, certainly better than The Facts Of Death :) . But it's interesting glimpse at Hong Kong and Southern China- a place I've always had an interest in. So I say forget about the literay Bond, read it like Brosnan Bond movie script. :)

#15 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

Can some one tell me more about the story and villians. You can tell me a part of the story not the whole story.

#16 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:18 AM

From Kimberly Last's site http://www.klast.net...d/nov_bens.html

Zero Minus Ten (1997) ****

Reviewed by Tom Zielinski

Places: Jamaica, England, Hong Kong, China, Australia
Girl: Sunni Pei
Villain: Guy Thackeray
Villain's Employer: Self-Employed
Villain's Project: Nuclear bombing of Hong Kong to avenge loss of family business empire, triggering war between China and Britain.
Henchmen: 3 albino Chinese brothers
Bond's Friends: T.Y. Woo
Highlights: Bond's training exercise and introduction in "pre-titles sequence"; travelogue and history of Hong Kong; Triad Ceremony; M scene; walkabout.
Remarks: Reads much like a "screenplay", similar to the style of On Her Majesty's Secret Service; a welcome return to many familiar Ian Fleming elements and characters, further adding to what was initially re-introduced in the short story "Blast from the Past" [above]
Villain's Best Line: (Referring to the planned bombing of Hong Kong): "China will blame Britain. Britain will blame China. There are sure to be some...misunderstandings." He laughed. "It will be wonderful!"

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:54 AM

From Kimberly Last's site http://www.klast.net...d/nov_bens.html

Zero Minus Ten (1997) ****

Reviewed by Tom Zielinski

Places: Jamaica, England, Hong Kong, China, Australia
Girl: Sunni Pei
Villain: Guy Thackeray
Villain's Employer: Self-Employed
Villain's Project: Nuclear bombing of Hong Kong to avenge loss of family business empire, triggering war between China and Britain.
Henchmen: 3 albino Chinese brothers
Bond's Friends: T.Y. Woo
Highlights: Bond's training exercise and introduction in "pre-titles sequence"; travelogue and history of Hong Kong; Triad Ceremony; M scene; walkabout.
Remarks: Reads much like a "screenplay", similar to the style of On Her Majesty's Secret Service; a welcome return to many familiar Ian Fleming elements and characters, further adding to what was initially re-introduced in the short story "Blast from the Past" [above]
Villain's Best Line: (Referring to the planned bombing of Hong Kong): "China will blame Britain. Britain will blame China. There are sure to be some...misunderstandings." He laughed. "It will be wonderful!"

Excellent site indeed, but it does have some spoilers to the novels!

I love that Zero Minus Ten has a fovrite line, and it is indeed a good one.

Definitely recommeded!

#18 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:15 AM

I like it better than his second book.......... but other than that....... it's worse than all of his others...... imo.

#19 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:55 AM

this book got me hooked on Literary 007. It is a must read if you like Benson, or in my opinion, Bond at all.