18 replies to this topic

#1 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:55 PM

Today I decided to "upgrade" my book collection, and I happened to pick up The Spy Who Loved Me. My old copy is the Signet edition, and I've always found it interesting that it has a two-page map at the beginning as well as that infamous letter by Fleming about how he found the story on his desk, etc. Now when I flipped through the Penguin edition I found both items to be missing. Was there a reason for this, or was it just an error? Could anybody provide any insight into this?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:56 PM

:)

Hey, NICE catch, bond111. I hadn't noticed this myself.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:53 PM

What?
I have the recent Penguin edition and I'd never even heard of these things even being included in previous editions.
When will us Bond fans stop getting short changed!!!!

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:57 PM

They are in the American Signet editions Tanger, a map of the hotel where Vivienne stays at, and a disclaimer from Fleming explaining how he found the manuscript for the novel.

I also have wondered why they are not included. :)

#5 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

Never seen the map, any chance of posting it online, or is it a copyright issue?

#6 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:41 AM

I'd be happy to put up a scan, that is if the staff says it's okay.

#7 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:32 PM

Survey says?

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:14 PM

Bond111, I'll be happy to help you out. :)

For those of you that would like to see the map, follow this link:

http://www.artofjame...first/motel.jpg

#9 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:56 PM

Ah thanks! You saved me some work. I never thought of looking there. :)

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:00 PM

Sure! :) I've had that site bookmarked forever and I just decided to check it out again last night and that turned up!

#11 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:52 PM

I visit that site often, but why does every picture now have "Stolen Image" over it? Could MGM be involved? :)

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:54 PM

Not sure I get you Bond111, where does it have 'Stolen Image' over it?

#13 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

Well when I went there before NONE of the pictures would show up (it would just show a little red 'x'), then just a second ago ALL of the pictures were replaced with 'Image Stolen' and a red cross through it. Now that I go there again it's back to just the little red 'x's. :)

EDIT: Now it's working fine! :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:05 PM

Very weird indeed, sometimes I would get that 'x', but they all seem to have worked fine lately.

#15 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

I visit that site often, but why does every picture now have "Stolen Image" over it? Could MGM be involved? :)

I don't understand why every image should be replaced with the "stolen image" warning. My site doesn't allow direct linking to images from other websites in order to protect my bandwidth. I get so many other sites stealing stuff and passing it off as their own that I have had to take these measures to try and stop it. I would like to allow so-called "hot linking" from specific sites (i.e. this one!) as they are a very useful thing to illustrate what you are talking about...but I have never been able to get it to work.
The only way to display the images is to download them tou your own computer and then upload to the site/forum you are using. That way it is then their bandwidth that it eaten up...not mine!

Sorry folks. :)

#16 Trilltoy

Trilltoy

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

Back to the question of the "missing" items in the book ... is it possible this material wasn't included in the original British edition? Because it's my impression the new Penguin editions are following those texts (such as returning the formerly expurgated material to Live and Let Die).

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:24 PM

Back to the question of the "missing" items in the book ... is it possible this material wasn't included in the original British edition? Because it's my impression the new Penguin editions are following those texts (such as returning the formerly expurgated material to Live and Let Die).

Welcome to CBn Trilltoy! :)

If you're referring to the 'harsher' dialogue, it was in all British prints, I believe, but this is the first time it's been available in a US print.

#18 Trilltoy

Trilltoy

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:50 PM

^ Thanks for the welcome!

I actually know about the "harsher" dialogue in Live and Let Die, and that the new Penguin edition is the first to include it in the States. My question was whether the "missing" material in The Spy Who Loved Me might be for a similar reason: because the Penguins are following the original British publication texts, and maybe the map and disclaimer weren't included there?

(Mind you, I don't know that they weren't included, but I thought someone else might.)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:59 PM

^ Thanks for the welcome!

I actually know about the "harsher" dialogue in Live and Let Die, and that the new Penguin edition is the first to include it in the States. My question was whether the "missing" material in The Spy Who Loved Me might be for a similar reason: because the Penguins are following the original British publication texts, and maybe the map and disclaimer weren't included there?

(Mind you, I don't know that they weren't included, but I thought someone else might.)

Ah yes, I see.

I din't own an original copy of the British hardback os TSWLM, but I'm sure someone would clarify. I find it odd that they would leave it out of the Penguin US reprint, after all it is just an opening map. I wonder if it was just a careless mistake. :)