24 replies to this topic

#1 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:10 PM

I wonder if you could tell me some more info about these books then what it stands in the site. More of the story etc. I want to know more about Gardner's books!!! :)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:38 PM

Then you should read them. :)

Here's a tease:

ICEBREAKER (1983): 007 battles a neo-nazi army in the Arctic Circle. A stand out in the Gardner series and a personal favorite of the author

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:47 PM

I wonder if you could tell me some more info about these books then what it stands in the site. More of the story etc. I want to know more about Gardner's books!!!  :)

Just to add to Zencat's excellent reviews, do not read Cold Fall before SeaFire, believe me on that one. All three are exceptional books by Gardner, with Icebreaker really standing out as a good one.

Enjoy them! :)

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:58 PM

ICEBREAKER is my personal favorite of all the Gardner novels.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

Of all the Gardner novels these are the three I want to read the most. Probably because they're the ones with the coolest titles. And Brokenclaw of course.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

You've never read them Tanger? You're in for a good treat! They are some of his good work, but FSS and NLF are a little greater, I believe, still, you can;t argue with thse three, except for maybe Cold Fall, a bit lacklustre...

#7 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:45 AM

ICEBREAKER ! ICEBREAKER ! ICEBREAKER !
I think it's the ever coolest Bond by Gardner. And it seems to me that in this very novel Gardner ceases to resurrect Fleming's Bond, but creates one of his own. It is this novel that his rules for a Bond thriller are totally shaped in. The piece about crossing the border and reconning the Soviet base is my favourite one.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:55 PM

I'll admit that Icebreaker has something that Gardner favors, which I won't mention what to non-readers yet. The second half the book, as even is the first half, is very thrilling, with the way theplot moves and what Bond does to stay ahead of the game. This is one of Gardner's that kept with enthused with rapt attention in it. A great read.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:44 PM

No I haven't read any of the Gardner books yet. I'm trying to track most of them down at the moment but I still need to complete the Fleming novels so I'm going to wait until I've read those before I read anymore.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:47 PM

Ah, yes, that's what I tried to do too. :) There is a lot of continuity in some of Gardner's books, he really shows that they're part of the Bond novels. Hope you enjoy them when you get to them, quite a few of his earlier ones are very good!

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:32 PM

Of all the Gardner novels these are the three I want to read the most. Probably because they're the ones with the coolest titles. And Brokenclaw of course.

ICEBREAKER, NO DEALS MR BOND and ROLE OF HONOR are probably my three favorite Gardner novels. I am also very fond of NEVER SEND FLOWERS.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:35 PM

Role of Honor is good indeed, Never Send Flowers is excellent, while NDMB, I thought was okay. It has a very interesting beginning, but....I just think it loses it's pace after a while. I thought you never could be sure what you would get with many of Gardner's late 80's books.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:01 PM

I thought the worst thing about NO DEALS MR BOND was the title but the actual plot and pace I thought was excellent. In contrast I didn't like the end to NEVER SEND FLOWERS although I thought the lead up was well written.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:04 PM

The title is indeed a low point, although 'Bond Fights Back' sounds even more, just plain disgusting!!! What a horror of a title!

I have to agree, that my least favorite part of Never Send Flowers was the ending, it seemed rushed at the park, somehoe, even though it is a great Gardner novel.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:07 PM

It was a great novel but the whole amusement park thing I hated...it screamed out "Hollywood" much like the Benson novel that featured Cannes.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:10 PM

Ah, yes. I just find it a bit 'non-Bond', although I do like that it's different. Just didn't come off too well in the final thing.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:23 PM

I agree.....it didn't really work in "Beverly Hills Cop III" either and it did seem the type of thing that Ian Fleming would despise.

#18 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:24 PM

I re-read FSS over the holidays in my travels.

Still a fantastic Bond adventure and then followed by Icebreaker makes these the best Gardner Bond double-feature.

I finished FSS about halfway into my trip and did actually look in a few used bookstores for a copy of IB because I enjoyed it so much.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:25 PM

I don't mind LTK at all, it's a great film, it's just so out of tune with the regular Bond film, but I guess something like that is needed once in a while.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:37 PM

It shook up the formula that is for sure....with mixed results.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:39 PM

Indeed, at first, it was least favorite James Bond film of all time, now, I hold it in higher regard, granted, I like other Bond films more, but this one never ceases to be some good, hard-edged enjoyment once in a while!

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:43 PM

I never understood why Gardner felt it necessary in his book to reference the incident from Flemings LALD novel.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:46 PM

One can immediately notice that Gardner was keen on making many references to the original work by Ian Fleming.

Licence Renewed is a fine example, so many past adventures, girls and villains mentioned, he seemed to (rightly) lower the amount of his references in his later books, but there always were a few that slipped in there.

#24 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:08 PM

I am also quite intrested in Win, Lose or Die

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:27 PM

I am also quite intrested in Win, Lose or Die

Indeed another good one! Gardner's books always hopped around from bad to good to average, and in my opinion, this is one of his better ones. It took me a long time to track this one down and it was well worth the effort! Bond is at some of his best in here, with pretty good supporting characters. (I don't want to spoil too much.)
The pace in this one, I believe is very fast and it keeps the entire middle section of the book going very well. The finale seems just a bit rushed, but other than that, it was a great read!