29 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

I was as shocked as anybody to open up the TV Guide last week to find out AMC now has the rights to some Bond films. Especially coming right on the heels of almost two months worth of Bond films on Spike, which I caught a few of these past few weeks.

I think the films belong on AMC more than on Spike as it's more of a movie channel and the commercials are less frequent. And they've been running some excellent radio promos to tie in. But why show these now when they've been readily available for weeks now?

I can only think that maybe Spike's contract with MGM expired and AMC wanted to take the fastest advantage it could of showing these. I think it would be more effective to broadcast them in summer when reruns and things are going on and not following another channel's marathon. Add to that DAD will premier on Showtime later this month, and many people got DVDs for Christmas.

Will this lead to Bond burnout? I hope it wins the series more followers, but as a hardcore fan, about the only excitement I'm getting out of it is finding a few more items for my scrapbook. It reminds me of a few years ago when The Godfather films bounced from HBO to Cinemax to AMC to Bravo to USA to just about every other cable outlet there is.

I just don't want to see a good thing wasted.

#2 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

Too much Bond... never!

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:36 PM

Well, I've had enough of SPIKE cutting them up, but I do look forward to seeing them on the (in my opinion) better station, AMC. Always fun to watch Bond, always! :)

#4 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:43 PM

NEVER!! Not that I watch them on TV, anyway. For me, its DVD all the way.

#5 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:35 PM

I've been trying to avoid all TV occurances of Bond movies, unless its of a Bond movie I don't have on DVD quite yet (which is FRWL, YOLT, DAF, MR, FYEO, NSNA, TLD and TWINE.) Because it's a much better experience in widescreen. :)

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:40 PM

Well I think a large part of it is that MGM/UA owns the cable channel AMC!

#7 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:36 PM

They put plenty o' commercials in now. Not a large variety in content of commercials either. Plus they trim the movies. They make an R a PG plus PG's become mild PGs. Last night Strangways girl was killed with one shot by "the three blind mice". A family viewing movie channel. On January 18 at 8PM they're showing a heavily edited Terminator in their DVD-TV format. They'll show it widescreen with pop-up information about the movie on the black bar as the movie plays.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:51 PM

On January 18 at 8PM they're showing a heavily edited Terminator in their DVD-TV format. They'll show it widescreen with pop-up information about the movie on the black bar as the movie plays.

Well I haven't heard anything about the Terminator movie being heavily edited.

I am hoping that AMC puts the Bond movies through the DVD-TV format. I'd be interested to see what pop-up trivia information they come up with.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:31 PM

Really bonded56? What channel, lately, there hasn't been editting of the Bond films on TV, just viewer warning's.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:29 PM

I must admit I didn't notice any editing of DOCTOR NO last night!

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:28 AM

Yes, I think it was after ABC aired them a few years ago that editting of them films completely. Althgough, I'm not posistive about all channels...

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:39 AM

Well they were edited on SPIKE I know that....they cut to a commercial break in the middle of a scene in OHMSS!

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:41 AM

Really? I thought they didn't do that on SPIKE, yeah, they have lots of commericlas, but they actually edit out scenes too?

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:43 AM

Oh yes.....their claim of uncut was a joke....It was the scene with Draco, Bond and Tracy.....SPIKE cut to a commericial as one of the characters was in the middle of a line of dialogue!

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:44 AM

Those fools, and what a scene to do it in! I have tired of SPIKE and the way they treat the Bond films, but that is not tolerable!

#16 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:52 AM

I'm dissapointed with AMC. Dr. No wasn't too obviously edited (missed it last night but they showed it again earlier), but FRWL had all sorts of little snips. Grant stranging Bond was shortened. My brother, who has seen it once, noticed it since it cuts quickly to the lights coming on almost as soon as the wire touches Bond's neck. The transitions between scenes also seemed noticably shortened to help it fit better into the time spot. The commercials weren't much less frequent either.

At least they tell you about it before the movie though. Spike went around claiming them as being uncut despite glaringly obvious censoring of some scenes (especially the TSWLM title sequence).

And at least Spike (like TBS) switched to widescreen for the title sequences.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:54 AM

Wow! Apparently the films are being editted and I didn't know about it. Probably because I haven't watched them on TV, but they really need to stop cutting these films up! Enough is enough!

#18 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:53 PM

I was watching DAF on AMC the other day and I was disappointed when they cut out Wint & Kidd's remark as they watch the old schoolteacher being fished out of the canal.

#19 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:49 PM

They are being shown too much. I believe they are now becoming a joke to new generations. Its overkill.

#20 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

they play them a lil too much but too much is never enough...the only thing that i didnt like was that amc sped up the movie and some of the scences were like either skipped over or just made faster for times sake.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:00 AM

I think its only overkill to people that notice the repeated showings -- like 007 fans!

#22 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

They've covered up a lot of the girls in the titles sequence with Photoshop bikinis. Since these movies were deemed acceptable back when they were released as we know and love them, why do TV stations need to make changes like that :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

They've covered up a lot of the girls in the titles sequence with Photoshop bikinis. Since these movies were deemed acceptable back when they were released as we know and love them, why do TV stations need to make changes like that :)

It's really just an easy way to worsen the films. Just leave them alone, it's a Bond film! It's not complete, uncensored sex and violence, these films are acceptable for TV, yet stations (ABC, anyone :)) made such a big deal about them.

Dr. Shatterhands site has a nice topic about the lengthy ways ABC went to censor these films for television.

#24 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:17 AM

I caught the very end of AMC's Goldfinger Saturday night. The end titles showed OHMSS to be the next film, not T'BALL. Wish I had taped the end titles to get that early version ending. Too bad I didn't catch it on another AMC showing. This was the last one.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:31 AM

That really happened bonded56? The only copy of that print you can see is on the Goldfinger DVD an a special feature in the documentary I believe.

#26 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:08 AM

Yes, the AMC (which now stands for "A Million Commercials") broadcast did in fact
have the print that announced OHMSS as the next film.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:16 PM

Yes, the AMC (which now stands for "A Million Commercials") broadcast did in fact
have the print that announced OHMSS as the next film.

Very interesting, a bit careless if you ask me then. It's really too bad about the channel. It used to be much better. I remember when they would air certain movies entirely commercial free. Apparently not now....

#28 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:50 PM

AMC, when it was "American Movie Classics", was a fine channel without commercials and the whole network had a real charm to it. A state of mind that relaxed you and put you in another time and place. Now, it's been Yuppified and the old hosts like Nick Clooney and Bob Dorian have been replaced with the likes of those two "Shoot Out" schlubs on Sunday mornings, who are so ugly inside and out, they are IMO, too ugly even for radio.

Sorry, it used to be such a fine channel. At least Turner Classic and Fox Movies are still good.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 02 February 2004 - 03:52 PM.

#29 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Here's a few unfortunate cuts made to DAF I included in another recent thread:

-At the Los Angeles Airport after Felix tells Bond someone's braintrust has been sent for him he gets directly into the car. The entire "You wanna sit in the front, Mr. Franks?" conversation is omitted, as is part of the drive.
-Mr. Slumber's creepy smile at Bond as they are waiting for the diamonds to be brought in the urn in his office. They sit down and they come in almost immediately.
-When Wint and Kidd dump Bond in the trunk of their car and drive to the desert, they begina and are almost right out in the desert. Much of the drive and when they activate the door that opens into the desert are cut.
-When Bond is trapped in the pipeline, the rat approaches and they cut his whole "One of us smells like a tart's hankerchief," speech, eliminating a plot point for later in the film for those who hadn't seen it. He just looks at the rat and it scurries away as the welder comes through.

But look at it this way, you are now better informed on how to get better insurance for yourself and medicine for your pet as a result of more commercials. :)

#30 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:34 PM

Here's a few unfortunate cuts made to DAF I included in another recent thread:

-At the Los Angeles Airport after Felix tells Bond someone's braintrust has been sent for him he gets directly into the car. The entire "You wanna sit in the front, Mr. Franks?" conversation is omitted, as is part of the drive.
-Mr. Slumber's creepy smile at Bond as they are waiting for the diamonds to be brought in the urn in his office. They sit down and they come in almost immediately.
-When Wint and Kidd dump Bond in the trunk of their car and drive to the desert, they begina and are almost right out in the desert. Much of the drive and when they activate the door that opens into the desert are cut.
-When Bond is trapped in the pipeline, the rat approaches and they cut his whole "One of us smells like a tart's hankerchief," speech, eliminating a plot point for later in the film for those who hadn't seen it. He just looks at the rat and it scurries away as the welder comes through.

But look at it this way, you are now better informed on how to get better insurance for yourself and medicine for your pet as a result of more commercials. :)