10 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:41 AM

Finished You Only Live Twice this afternoon, by the pool. What a thumping good read! Just a quick question regarding a passage towards the end of the book...

/spoiler.gif
Who is the MG who writes the passage at the end of Bond's obituary? I feel I should know it, but I'm racking my brains with no luck.
/gen_line.gif

#2 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:55 AM

Gee, Dark, you really can pick 'em. I was having a relaxing day off from work and then I get onto the forums and what do I see? This question! And before I knew it, I was racking my brains trying to figure it out.
Ah, well. It's a coupla minutes to ten. Goodnight, Mary.

Vodka Martino

P.S.- That was the answer. Bugged me for a while, though, before I had a vision of Britt Ekland in the boot of a flying car. She popped into my head while I was watching "Octopussy" last night...but that's another story.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 12:43 PM

Of course! Thanks, Vodka!

I was going over all the MI6 staff... M, Moneypenny, Q, Bond's secretary [whose name I won't spell for fear of getting it wrong], even Mae, but none of them fitted for one reason or another! Didn't even think of Miss Goodnight.

Thanks!

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:16 PM

M.G. was Bond's secretary at the time of YOLT. His other Lolilaiaileieaoila Ponsoby (dare I say 'sp?'?) got married before OHMSS or something. I suppose at the end of YOLT, MI6 realised that a dead agent has no need for a secretary, so they stuck her in Jamaica!

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

I'm currently storming through this. It's such and entertaining and easy read, I can't put it down.
I'm about halfway through and I only started reading it last night.

I did take a sneaky peak at Bond's Obituary just to see Fleming self-praising himself and wondered what the MG stood for.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:41 AM

The last six chapters I just had to read in one go.

Got stuck straight into The Man With The Golden Gun last night.

#7 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:24 AM

Loelia Ponsonby, if memory serves me correctly, is how her name is spelled. That is such a silly name, even for a Bond girl. What next...Alotta Fagina? Oh, behave.

VM

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:41 PM

Just finished this book. It's the fastest I've ever finished reading a novel.
Definitely my favourite Bond book. Beautiful imagery, great action, a classic in my opinion. My next stop will be the two short story collections and then I'm going to read TMWTGG and then go back and read all the ones I've missed, MR, DAF, FRWL, GF, TB, DN.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:34 PM

Definitely my favourite Bond book. Beautiful imagery, great action, a classic in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. I just find it spellbinding (and extremely moving - for me,
/spoiler.gif
Bond's loss of Kissy and his becoming a father without knowing it is much sadder than his loss of Tracy
/gen_line.gif
).

#10 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

Whenever I finish You Only Live Twice I like to dive straight into the first few chapters of The Man With The Golden Gun. There's a flow between the two novels, much like the links between On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and You Only Live Twice. Those first few chapters of The Man With The Golden Gun (trying hard not to give out spoilers) have a much more finished feel than the rest of the book. I'd bet dimes to donuts that Fleming had a chance to revise these bits before the end. I have no facts to back it up, it just feels that way when I read it.

#11 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:58 PM

I am almost certain that M.G. stands for Mary Goodnight, Bond's secretary.