5 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:00 PM

In my University library I have found two very interesting non-fiction books on the subject of James Bond and popular culture (i.e. Bond phenomenon, etc.). I was wondering if anyone else has read these (not finished myself) and what they thought of them.

The first is Bond and Beyond: The Political Career of a Popular Hero by Tony Bennett and Janet Woollacott. Written in 1987, it focuses on the Bond phenomenon and its influence on politics (in the broad sense of the word).

The other is The Devil with James Bond! by Ann S. Boyd. Written in 1967, it focuses on the moral aspects of our hero (it is based on an article called 'James Bond: Modern-day Dragon-slayer' by the same author). It refers to the 'Good vs Evil' bit in CR, and Mr Big's mention of 'accide' in LALD, for instance.

PS. Do you think anyone will ever write a Critique of Pure Bond, and attempt to save the series as Kant attempted to save metaphysics?

PPS. Yes. I just finished my philosophy term paper.

#2 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:49 PM

I wrote a James Bond paper for a morality class a long time ago. The paper was called:

'The Least Of All Evils'

It examined James Bond's behavior from a moral point of view.

On the one hand, He (the Fleming Bond) was an adulterer. I forget the exact count but from my recollection he engaged in sexual activity with three married women.

In addition, he was a substance abuser. Using benzadrine, for example, to keep awake/stay sharp.

Further, he was a killer. He may not have 'liked' killing (a MooreBond trait) but if killing HAD to be done, he took comfort in the fact that he killed people who, let's say, deserved to die.

In spite of his 'sinning ways', he was a man of honor who defended the innocent and destroyed evil.

I finished off the paper by refering to him as a "Dark Angel". or was it "Dark Knight" (Often a title used for Batman...although I wrote the paper prior to 1989 and was not familiar with said title for said 'super-hero'). I forget. But the point remains the same.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:59 PM

Originally posted by General Koskov
The first is Bond and Beyond: The Political Career of a Popular Hero by Tony Bennett and Janet Woollacott.  Written in 1987, it focuses on the Bond phenomenon and its influence on politics (in the broad sense of the word).

My textbook for one of my University subjects looked at this particular book. Apparently, it completely redefined the way people analyse texts.

I'd love to read an actual copy of the book.

#4 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:01 AM

Originally posted by [dark]

My textbook for one of my University subjects looked at this particular book.  Apparently, it completely redefined the way people analyse texts.

I'd love to read an actual copy of the book.

I'm fairly certain the Gold Coast Library has a copy, i seem to recall reading it a few years ago.

#5 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:13 AM

I've never heard of them before, but would be interested in reading them. The Devil one sounds compelling.

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:13 AM

I don't think the book will ever be written nor will it need to be because 'Pure Bond' died a long, long time ago. Today's Bond doesn't smoke and takes American female agents with him on his missions-he is also just a regular secret agent guy now, another MI6 employee in a world full of capable agents who can replace him anytime. He also forgot how to defuse nuclear Bombs,he rarely drinks martinis but he enjoys ordering them, apparently because we get a kick outta hearing him say ".....shaken not stirred". He also cannot escape from captivity unless he has some goodies from Q branch...The Pure Bond had the capacity to think and use his mind to achieve success. The current model is a more handsome version of David Hasselhoff with a brittish accent. :eek: