31 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 12:09 PM

I think Samantha Bond is a sexy and good actress. Somehow the script writers have got to make more use out of her. Surely the script writers can think up a scenario where Moneypenny gets inadvertently involved in 007's mission. Once she sees 007 in action in the field I think the ice could melt between them and anything could happen after that (hmm...BEYOND THE ICE could now have a meaning...no...just kidding).

It's a controversial topic, so have a go at me if you like....but come on...admit it...you have probably thought about Samantha and Pierce together...could be a bombshell of a moment.

#2 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 May 2001 - 12:48 PM

[quote]Blue Eyes (29 Apr, 2001 10:42 p.m.):
That's quite a good idea about the competition thingy. I'll work on it :) I'm not quite sure how I'll do it, but I will. First I'll do it on the forums or something.

But I dont' think we could do the double wammy with Samantha Bond. It would be too Peter Sellers-esque.[/quote
Yes your probably right; your mention of Peter Sellers is a very astute comment. I was thinking of him when I wrote my message actually. The Moneypenny competition should be fun and I'm glad you like the idea. In the meantime check out the CAPTAIN DRAGON scenario (field 1 & 2); I've updated it and I think you will like it.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 09:21 PM

Jacques Nexus (01 Jul, 2001 12:35 p.m.):

Dave (30 Jun, 2001 09:49 a.m.):
It would have to be a kind of accident her ending up with James. Remember, she's M's secretary, and wouldn't really be out in the field on any dangerous missions.

Has anyone seen "Clear and Present Danger"? You know the scene when their vehicle convoy is put under attack by those rockets etc, well I think that would be a great way for Moneypenny to get involved!

Bond is on his way to some mission to kill some big drug lord or someone really dangerous and powerfull, and as Moneypenny's briefing him in the car, boom! The other cars get blown up, and Bond and Moneypenny, and a couple of other MI6 officials are left, Bond has to protect them and Moneypenny helps!

Nexus, maybe you could write a scenario or something like it!

I like your ideas Dave...sounds good !. The closest I've gotten to having Moneypenny in the action is in my GENERAL DRAGON story (scenario 2- Bond 20 thread)...in that M's entourage (inc Moneypenny) is in the British Embassy in Beijing...they become a threat to Dragon and he targets the Embassy for a cruise missile attack !.
However there are other ways of getting her accidently involved in 007's mission...she could go on leave to a foreign location ?...or she decides she wants a break from M's office by getting a temporary reassignment to a foreign secret service station (ala Mary Goodnight) or embassy ?.
Also, as far as Samantha & Pierce 'getting it on' is concerned...it's possible to do it without awkward consequences...how ?...simple...if both characters were brainwashed as part of some UNION style diabolical scheme (Moneypenny is an important member of M's staff: she must know a lot of secret info. Plus 007 was brainwashed in TMWTGG novel), they may not act as normally with eachother as you would expect...could lead to interesting possibilities ?. At the end they would end up de-programmed and go back to the way they were before. If you marry this up with the other suggestions...this could lead to something really innovative for a Bond film.
Anyway, I want to know what you guys think.

Sounds a great idea - where Bond was brainwashed in TMWTGG was great! Also, I think this could be worked in with the Union as they can get old of anyone really in MI6 as they were able to with Bond's lover/secretary in High Time To Kill.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 May 2001 - 05:57 AM

I doubt Nellie Moneypenny would be right - it doesn't have the right feel. And why would Q name them after Moneypenny? I doubt he would deal with her all that much.

#5 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 May 2001 - 12:32 PM

I think I have come up with a compromise on this whole question of Moneypenny as a Bond girl. Let's have her and 007 get it on, etc, and then the next morning the audience finds out it's a.....dream sequence !!!. The question is: which character has dreamt the whole thing ?. I reckon a dream sequence would really shake and stir the fans.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 02:17 AM

I agree that it wouldn't work. They've had a special flirty 'never too far' relationship for ages now. We couldn't stuff that up. Especially with Samantha Bond's Moneypenny who is full of whit!

#7 Sarah

Sarah

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2001 - 11:39 AM

Yah too far fetched

oh and Im back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 12:15 AM

Well I don't want them 'to get it on', it would ruin it.

However, development would be great! I'd love to learn her first name or soemthign! Just something else apart from the fact that she can cook and listens to Barry Manilow - I mean, please!

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 May 2001 - 12:31 PM

Jacques Nexus (01 May, 2001 01:48 p.m.):
Yes your probably right; your mention of Peter Sellers is a very astute comment. I was thinking of him when I wrote my message actually. The Moneypenny competition should be fun and I'm glad you like the idea. In the meantime check out the CAPTAIN DRAGON scenario (field 1 & 2); I've updated it and I think you will like it.

Glad we're on the same wave length.

Well I can't read Captain Dragon right now as it's so late at night but I'll get onto it.

What do people think Moneypenny's first name is?

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 10:25 AM

Yes I do agree it would be difficult to make it work but imagine if they did get together: what would happen ?. Anyway one reason for suggesting this topic was because of Samantha herself and not the Moneypenny character passe, ie I couldn't imagine Lois Maxwell getting together with Connery's 007 but Samantha has got something special about her that the scriptwriters have to expand on; anything else would be a waste.
As an interesting aside, the relationship between 007 & Moneypenny has changed considerably over the years. Lois Maxwell wanted 007 but he resisted and Samantha resists Brosnan's 007 (though has warmed a bit recently).

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 May 2001 - 11:51 PM

Bond has never had a dream sequence in the film. It's the wrong sort of film. It might work in a novel though!

#12 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 06:48 PM

I agree that a little character development of the Moneypenny character wouldn't be a bad thing. however, I believe that to change the Bond/Moneypenny relationship in the way that you suggest would be potentially damaging to future Bond projects. Everyone enjoys the flirting between Bond and Moneypenny and may even want them to "get it on", but if this happened it would irrevocabley change their relationship and there would be no way to go back.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 08:12 PM

Wow! Helloooo Sarah.

(Don't think I've ever met a Bond fan who looks as good as a Bond girl. :) )

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 09:42 PM

That's quite a good idea about the competition thingy. I'll work on it :) I'm not quite sure how I'll do it, but I will. First I'll do it on the forums or something.

But I dont' think we could do the double wammy with Samantha Bond. It would be too Peter Sellers-esque.

#15 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 May 2001 - 12:37 PM

Blue Eyes (19 May, 2001 11:51 p.m.):
Bond has never had a dream sequence in the film. It's the wrong sort of film. It might work in a novel though!

Why can't EON do it ?....just because a dream sequence hasn't happened before doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. I can't follow your logic....try to be more positive.

#16 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 08:42 AM

I cheered out loud when I first read that Samantha Bond (I've been a fan since Rumpole) had been cast so perfectly as Moneypenny. But she has been sorely underused since Goldeneye. Just as Dame Judi got the extra focus in TWINE, I feel it's high time Moneypenny had a chance to really shine, instead of being saddled with "Carry On" quality double entendres.

I think unresolved sexual tension is the way to go, however (though hints of a past between them could work nicely - she and Pierce have great chemistry). The dream sequence strikes me as a massive cop out that would, I think, get jeers from an audience.

I'd rather see Moneypenny go out on a limb to assist 007 in some way, throwing them together in the field.

As for first name, I think Samantha Moneypenny roles off the tongue nicely (nyuk nyuk) and in view of Moneypenny's matrimonial yearnings in the old Connery films, if she ever got her wish, her married name would be...

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 03:28 AM

Jacques Nexus (20 May, 2001 12:37 p.m.):
Why can't EON do it ?....just because a dream sequence hasn't happened before doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. I can't follow your logic....try to be more positive.

Because the Bond series follows a fairly strict formula and tries to work on the conscious and possbile, if that term makes any sense. So I can never imagine them doing it!

#18 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 08:49 AM

It would have to be a kind of accident her ending up with James. Remember, she's M's secretary, and wouldn't really be out in the field on any dangerous missions.

Has anyone seen "Clear and Present Danger"? You know the scene when their vehicle convoy is put under attack by those rockets etc, well I think that would be a great way for Moneypenny to get involved!

Bond is on his way to some mission to kill some big drug lord or someone really dangerous and powerfull, and as Moneypenny's briefing him in the car, boom! The other cars get blown up, and Bond and Moneypenny, and a couple of other MI6 officials are left, Bond has to protect them and Moneypenny helps!

#19 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 07:24 PM

Jacques Nexus (22 Apr, 2001 01:09 p.m.):
I think Samantha Bond is a sexy and good actress. Somehow the script writers have got to make more use out of her. Surely the script writers can think up a scenario where Moneypenny gets inadvertently involved in 007's mission. Once she sees 007 in action in the field I think the ice could melt between them and anything could happen after that (hmm...BEYOND THE ICE could now have a meaning...no...just kidding).

It's a controversial topic, so have a go at me if you like....but come on...admit it...you have probably thought about Samantha and Pierce together...could be a bombshell of a moment.

I don't think it would be wise to have Moneypenny as a BOND girl because the two of them have had a special relationship since Dr No and I don't think it would be wise to change it.

#20 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 11:35 AM

I like your ideas Dave...sounds good !. The closest I've gotten to having Moneypenny in the action is in my GENERAL DRAGON story (scenario 2- Bond 20 thread)...in that M's entourage (inc Moneypenny) is in the British Embassy in Beijing...they become a threat to Dragon and he targets the Embassy for a cruise missile attack !.
However there are other ways of getting her accidently involved in 007's mission...she could go on leave to a foreign location ?...or she decides she wants a break from M's office by getting a temporary reassignment to a foreign secret service station (ala Mary Goodnight) or embassy ?.
Also, as far as Samantha & Pierce 'getting it on' is concerned...it's possible to do it without awkward consequences...how ?...simple...if both characters were brainwashed as part of some UNION style diabolical scheme (Moneypenny is an important member of M's staff: she must know a lot of secret info. Plus 007 was brainwashed in TMWTGG novel), they may not act as normally with eachother as you would expect...could lead to interesting possibilities ?. At the end they would end up de-programmed and go back to the way they were before. If you marry this up with the other suggestions...this could lead to something really innovative for a Bond film.
Anyway, I want to know what you guys think.

#21 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 11:09 AM

What do people think Moneypenny's first name is?[/quote]

#22 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 11:05 AM

WhitePersian (30 Jun, 2001 09:42 a.m.):
I cheered out loud when I first read that Samantha Bond (I've been a fan since Rumpole) had been cast so perfectly as Moneypenny. But she has been sorely underused since Goldeneye. Just as Dame Judi got the extra focus in TWINE, I feel it's high time Moneypenny had a chance to really shine....I think unresolved sexual tension is the way to go, however (though hints of a past between them could work nicely - she and Pierce have great chemistry). The dream sequence strikes me as a massive cop out that would, I think, get jeers from an audience.  

I'd rather see Moneypenny go out on a limb to assist 007 in some way, throwing them together in the field.

As for first name, I think Samantha Moneypenny roles off the tongue nicely (nyuk nyuk) and in view of Moneypenny's matrimonial yearnings in the old Connery films, if she ever got her wish, her married name would be...

I'm glad to see you guys are coming around to my way of thinking...Yes...SAMANTHA MONEYPENNY sounds good !...as you say it rolls off the tongue nicely...you're a cunning linguist White Persian !.

#23 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 03:42 PM

Sarah (23 Jul, 2001 12:39 p.m.):
Yah too far fetched

oh and Im back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Good to see you back !.

#24 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 12:00 PM

Blue Eyes (21 May, 2001 03:28 a.m.):

Jacques Nexus (20 May, 2001 12:37 p.m.):

Because the Bond series follows a fairly strict formula and tries to work on the conscious and possbile, if that term makes any sense. So I can never imagine them doing it!

The question shouldn't be whether you can imagine EON doing it or not, but DO YOU WANT TO SEE IT ?. That's more important in my book.

#25 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 03:48 PM

Sounds a great idea - where Bond was brainwashed in TMWTGG was great! Also, I think this could be worked in with the Union as they can get old of anyone really in MI6 as they were able to with Bond's lover/secretary in High Time To Kill.

This brainwashing idea is starting to take shape...so let's see...The Union programmes SAMANTHA MONEYPENNY as part of some diabolical plot. They also programme 007...why ?...to ensure Moneypenny delivers them what they want they need 007 to protect her in case her drone assignment is discovered by MI6. To make it all gel together, the Union also programmes them to believe they are having a secret affair outside of MI6....now....is this too crazy or not ?

#26 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 10:54 AM

Blue Eyes (29 Apr, 2001 01:15 a.m.):
However, development would be great! I'd love to learn her first name or soemthign! Just something else apart from the fact that she can cook and listens to Barry Manilow - I mean, please!

I agree. Let's learn more about Moneypenny.

Also, how about this idea:
In Bond 20 how about Samantha playing a dual role, not only Moneypenny but also another role not related to Moneypenny, in a different hair colour/style and wardrobe. Samantha #2 as an evil character ? or as a Bond girl ?. Yes...no...VOTE NOW !!!.

P.S. Blue Eyes can you start a competition where fans can submit a first name for Moneypenny ?. It would be fun.

#27 007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 02:44 PM

James Bond...Samantha Bond....Coincidence?

#28 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 01:23 PM

I'll agree with you there Mr Moon. None of those things should ever be attempted, well maybe except the flash backs. And only that if it was done superbly well! Say is the Bond movie worked it's way backwards with a subtitle "10 Days Before". If that makes sense.

But again it would have to be superbly directed!

#29 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 10:36 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the whole of the MI6 staff roles expanded. In the novels we frequently visit M and Moneypenny (up to three times). I know that was extended in TWINE but the role of Moneypenny wasn't and I'd love to see some more character development. Even like it was in GE. We found out she dates!!

#30 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 09:18 PM

I wouldn't like to see a dream sequence atall it just wouldn't work. There are just some things that shouldn't be done in Bond movies, other things include flash-backs, slow-motion and other stuff like first person perspactive. No no bad idea