30 replies to this topic

#1 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 03:37 PM

I picked this up last night, as recent discussions reminded me that I had never gotten around to playing it. I'm surprised it was so heavily panned, even failing (I think) to achieve a 'Greatest Hits' status, as it's actually pretty fun.

I was expecting poor driving controls along the lines of TND, or even something like the Dukes of Hazzard game. When compared to those, 007's control is actually very smooth. I was also impressed with the character models in the cutscenes, all of which are light years better than the ones seen in TND or even TWINE (which was released around the same time, I believe).

I'm still pretty early in the game (wish I hadn't read those posts about how difficult the 3rd mission is- I think they psyched me out!), but I don't see what everyone hated about this game. (Maybe they were expecting Gran Turismo?) The cheat menu is clever, it's got a teaser level, and the mission where your rental car is booby-trapped is a great idea for a Bond game (reminded me of FYEO's opening).

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:16 PM

That darn 3rd level! 4 months I was stuck on that for and it's basically what put me off the game. I decided to give it a second chance though and ended up completing it in a couple days. The last level's great and there's also a couple other interesting ones too but I won't spoil anything for you.

#3 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:16 PM

Glad you started this into it's own thread, TheBritishEnd.

I really didn't care for this game for a while (mainly because I was extremely angry at the said level) but now that I have picked it up again I find that it is much better than I first thought. Sure it's no masterpiece, but it's truly a fun game. The cutscenes are what have always impressed me. They are so crisp and clear. It's also nice to see the return of old Bond characters (which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't played).

BTW, TheBritishEnd, if you are really stuck on level 3 I'd be glad to give you some tips.

#4 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:07 PM

Stupid game. It was definatly NOT lightyears ahead of the competition. The visuals were what you would have expected from one of the first PS1 games available. This was produced at the end of the PS1's run.

Awful level design combined with twitchy controls made for bad experience. Oh and that stupid level where you had to be 'stealthy'. It was all so very badly put together.

Awful awful game.

#5 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:19 AM

Well I can't disagree with you, Brix. The controls are pretty bad and I'm often getting stuck in small places, etc. Also the graphics are awful, but not so bad that it is unplayable. It had the potential to be a great game, but somewhere along the line it turned into a mediocre attempt.

As I've said before I really wish they would make 007 Racing 2 but I doubt it will ever happen. 007 Racing is a great idea, but for some reason it just didn't turn out right.

#6 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:25 AM

The Need For Speed crew did a sterling job in AUF. Kudos to them! Piss poor attempt in NF tho...you push the accelerator and go forwards is all...

#7 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:15 AM

Yes I really enjoyed the driving levels in AUF. I liked the way the cars drove, it just felt right. I have yet to play NF, and I'm slightly disappointed because I expected the driving levels to be much like those in AUF.

On a side note, does anyone know what kind of driving levels there are in EoN? I know you can control a helicopter and a motorcycle, which looks pretty cool, but are there actually any "driving" levels? I should think there would be. It doesn't seem like a Bond game without the cars.

EDIT: I seem to have answered my own question here. :)

#8 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:14 PM

Brix, please note I was referring to the cutscene models when I called it light years ahead of the ones in TND and TWINE. The in-game graphics ARE extremely poor (I often had trouble discerning which car I was supposed to be after!), but the models are very well done. Try comparing them to the horribly blocky characters in TWINE or TND. (The model for Bond was so bad in the latter, he appears to have lambchop sideburns when entering the first Hamburg level!)

I agree it's nothing spectacular, but what impressed me were the handful of levels that were very creative for a Bond game. In addition to the rental car level, the 'Breakout' level where you must pilot the car via remote control is very clever. I hope some similar creativity/variety has been added to EON's driving levels.

My biggest problem with the game is the shortage of cutscenes. The story is actually pretty entertaining (including the aforementioned guest villains from past films), but it's really a letdown to have to read about Bond doing something really cool. It makes it feel like they ran out of time and said, "Oh, just write out what happens next!"

Bond111, I could definitely use a good strategy for getting past level 3. I made it as far as those damn forklifts before using the 'All Missions' cheat! :)

#9 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:34 PM

Originally posted by TheBritishEnd
Bond111, I could definitely use a good strategy for getting past level 3.  I made it as far as those damn forklifts before using the 'All Missions' cheat!  :)

LOL. I've used that cheat a couple times in the good old days of Game Shark, but when I got PS2 many people deemed it unsafe for the system. :) Anyway I will come up with a strategy for you and PM it to you.

#10 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:49 PM

I was also referring to the cut scenes as well as in game visuals. They are poor. Just...substandard really...

#11 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:27 AM

slightly OT.... but a really good racing game is Need For Speed: Underground....

#12 double0kevin

double0kevin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:48 PM

i have complted this game, and i have to say the last level is the hardest! very hard, and boring. but overall this game is ok!

it's got a good idea going just not great! if ea made 007 racing 2 with the need for speed team making it, it would kick [censored]!

overall 6/10!

#13 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:08 PM

Originally posted by double0kevin
i have complted this game, and i have to say the last level is the hardest! very hard, and boring. but overall this game is ok!

it's got a good idea going just not great! if ea made 007 racing 2 with the need for speed team making it, it would kick [censored]!

overall 6/10!

Actually I thought the last level was one of the easiest. You just have to be patient.

Well I'm sure by now everyone knows my feelings about 007 Racing 2, and the Need for Speed team is the way to go. I wonder if EA has the guts to try it.

#14 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:31 PM

It sounds as though they've already completed a sequel, considering half the missions in EON are driving levels. Hopefully, there will be some creative levels similar to Racing (Gimme A Brake; Breakout; etc.). The motorcyle flame weapon appears very similar to the laser/emp gadgets in Racing.

#15 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:39 PM

I picked up the game recently and now I remember why I don't really like it.............. R is so annoying in this game! He will never shut up!

#16 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:32 AM

I thought 007 Racing was a really fun game, and was picked on more than it deserved.

#17 the doctor

the doctor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:04 AM

007 racing for the ps1 what did you think of it was or it bad was it good?

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:08 AM

Here's a thread you may be interested in: http://debrief.comma...showtopic=12532

#19 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

I hated it... not enough levels and the graphics were shotty. Not to mention the impossible third level in the alley.

#20 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:41 AM

Sometimes still pull it out for a little multiplayer tourneys! I though it was a great concept and had a lot of good flavor!

#21 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:11 AM

A good concept, but it fails in graphics. The New York level was pretty enjoyable, but it all went downhill after that.

#22 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:59 AM

A good concept, but it fails in graphics. The New York level was pretty enjoyable, but it all went downhill after that.

View Post

Fails?... it fails miserably... I mean down to the bottom of the potty in graphics.

#23 kapayton1

kapayton1

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

I've always wanted to play it, but i dont have a PlayStation. I know the storylin and the characters: Cherise Litte, Hammond Lite, Dr. Melody Chase, Jack Wad. Does anybody have a picture of Dr. Melody Chase?

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

Welcome to the CBn Forums, kapayton1. :tup:

#25 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

I used to have it. I thought it was a decent game but to me it got boring fast. The multiplayer was very fun though, especially the mode where you had to stick the bomb on the other player's car.

#26 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

That darn 3rd level! 4 months I was stuck on that for and it's basically what put me off the game. I decided to give it a second chance though and ended up completing it in a couple days. The last level's great and there's also a couple other interesting ones too but I won't spoil anything for you.

LOL. I know what you mean Tanger. I am also stuck on the third level. To say Im playing the difficulty setting as 'Agent' it is still quite hard. I prefer it if you could use the joystick on PS2 controls though. The graphics look so crappy compared to todays standard

#27 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

It would be great if 007 Racing 2 would be released or even created. It should include the new cars and better graphics for Next-Gen!

#28 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

Terrible graphics... one of my least favorite Bond videogames...

#29 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Killer idea, but terribly poor.

They should incorporate this idea in a future videogame multiplayer.

#30 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Where do you find that game??? Sounds a fun game, despite its age.