18 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:23 AM

Ever wonder how the hell the scouring "pig" containing General Koskov managed to get round those 90 degree bends in the pipeline?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 01:30 PM

Dunno; pigs might fly.

(oh, that's very poor. And not altogether relevant)

I wouldn't go reading too much into it. You'll be asking what the plot of The Living Daylights actually is next, and I really can't help you there.

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 02:51 PM

hmmmm....i should stop thinking about that, i'll just get a headache.....

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 09:46 PM

Actually I never wondered that. I always wondered why it still sounded as if it was travelling super fast when it pops out Q's end on the pipeline!

But in defence on the pig. It was a well conceived idea and the effects of making it dirty at the other end was clever.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 10:26 PM

Blue Eyes (29 Jan, 2002 09:46 p.m.):(edited)
...I always wondered why it still sounded as if it was travelling super fast when it pops out Q's end on the pipeline!...

I would say the sound is the air pressure that was pushing the pig through the tube, like the canisters at a drive up bank.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 05:54 AM

I'm not quite sure what a drive up bank is (please tell me it's not like the Take Away part of a McDonald's) but the air theory is a good one, and not one that I'd considered. I'm sold ;D

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 06:50 PM

Blue Eyes (30 Jan, 2002 05:54 a.m.):
I'm not quite sure what a drive up bank is (please tell me it's not like the Take Away part of a McDonald's) but the air theory is a good one, and not one that I'd considered. I'm sold ;D

You Aussians don't have TiVo or drive up banks? How can you survive?? ;D

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 07:06 PM

Blue Eyes (30 Jan, 2002 05:54 a.m.):

Not to sound snobby, but actually it is like a McDonalds, but it's an ATM drive-thru.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:02 AM

Why the hell would you want to drive up to a bank window? Banks are useless. I must have visited a bank about 10 times in my life. Can't stand the things. I'm a credit union user :)

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 31 January 2002 - 08:24 AM

Are you trying to tell me that there is something called a bank behind the wall that an ATM is attached to!? :)

As to the operation of a pig, yes it is propelled by compressed air and usually lublicated by a thick waxy substance to stop it from jamming in the pipe.

And no, it can't travel through a right-angle in a pipeline. Even if it could poor Koskov would be splattered like borscht against one side of the cavity wall due to the high G forces.

But then again, there is not enough room in a real pig to secrete a human being anyway.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 08:30 AM

[b]Blofeld's Cat (31 Jan, 2002 08:24 a.m.):

As to the operation of a pig, yes it is propelled by compressed air and usually lublicated by a thick waxy substance to stop it from jamming in the pipe.

(The following comment is based upon an upbringing of Carry On films, Viz, British sitcoms and the all-pervading atmosphere on the scept'rd isle of immature sexual repression and general all-round hopelessness and cold clammy despair and fumbling and bumbling futility).

Fnarr!

Snark!

Oooh missus, etc.

(Innuendo over)

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 31 January 2002 - 08:42 AM

Jim (31 Jan, 2002 08:30 a.m.):

[b]Blofeld's Cat (31 Jan, 2002 08:24 a.m.):

(The following comment is based upon an upbringing of Carry On films, Viz, British sitcoms and the all-pervading atmosphere on the scept'rd isle of immature sexual repression and general all-round hopelessness and cold clammy despair and fumbling and bumbling futility).

Fnarr!

Snark!

Oooh missus, etc.

(Innuendo over)

[Dick Emery]Oh you are awful, but I like you.[/Dick Emery]

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 12:01 AM

You misunderstood my question, Thomas Crown. I said movies. You apparently have a serious problem with Dalton, as proven by your previous post and several others.

Of course, being a classically trained Shakesperian actor, Flash Gordon wouldn't be the first time Dalton probably wore tights for a role. And if you're picking on his resume, he's had a very diverse career, portraying several historical figures and a range of other characters. Connery may be the only Bond actor to rival Dalton in this department.

True, Dalton hasn't been in a lot of high profile projects, but his resume speaks for itself.

#14 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 03:22 AM

oops...that was nasty....:)

#15 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 01:43 AM

Yes, there was a goof in the movie, it was the total miscasting of Dalton as Bond. All Broccoli had to do was wait until Steele ran its course and got quickly cancelled again, but no, he had to rush. In retrospect, I guess I am glad. He gave Dalton a chance to fail miserably and almost kill the series so Pierce could come in and save the series and MGM.

#16 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 11:37 AM

Other Goofs:
Rosika Miklos speaks perfect English on the first meeting. then slips into pigeon.
Pushkin mentions that Smiert Spionom was stopped 20 years ago, although it was actually something like 40.
The keyring stun gas only lasts 15 seconds when it should last 30.

One other that bugs me a lot -
Licence To Kill: Bond - attacks M, disrupts a joint SIS - Hong Kong Narcotics operation and screws up a easy deal which would have allowed him to turn Sanchez over to the authorities. Get this...he still gets his job and Licence to kill back. WHY?????

I know.. so the character could brought back 6 years later to resurrect the franchise.

#17 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 07:35 PM

In LTK I think Bond attacked the bodyguards next to M. Messing up the SIS operation was a mistake, but it showed his personal vendetta was clouding his judgment. It was as a result of this that he ended up on Sanchez' team, so it did move the story forward.

#18 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 03:13 AM

Why is everybody suddenly picking on Dalton movies? There are a lot of Bond films with more plot holes and mistakes than those?

#19 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 03:18 AM

Turn (29 Mar, 2002 03:13 a.m.):
Why is everybody suddenly picking on Dalton movies? There are a lot of Bond films with more plot holes and mistakes than those?

Well, let's compare...Roger was the Saint. Pierce was Remington Steele. Sean made movies with Michael Caine. Dalton was that guy in the green tights in Flash Gordon with Sam Jones and Queen.