This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Brix is going to Edinburgh to meet Jaws!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:48 PM

Woo hoo! How cool is this?! Hehehe. You all laughed because I lived in Glasgow but now who's laughing eh?!

Is anybody else going from here or am I the only one?

#2 NORK

NORK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

I think I live in a worst location than Glasgow-Phoenix, AZ

#3 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:30 AM

Never been there I'm afraid. Probably never will! lol However there'll probably be some huge Bond convention put on there which only you attend. Hehe.

#4 NORK

NORK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:54 AM

You do find some Bond fans in Phoenix.

#5 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 01:08 AM

Are they very far away?

#6 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:40 PM

It's tomorrow! *WEEM!*

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:48 PM

Going to bring us back some photos Brix?

#8 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:03 PM

Alas my digital camera is broken. However I will take a disposable one and see if I can get them scanned at some stage. Not entirely sure how long that will take though. I will try.

Will also take my TSWLM and Moonraker DVDs to have them signed. Wooo!

#9 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:11 PM

Boy, that was a great event for Bond fanatics! I hope Brix enjoyed the evening as much as we did.

Sadly Richard looked a bit unwell at the start. Even with the aid of his cane he was unable to mount the stage and his chair had to be repositioned at floor level. But once he got settled and began interacting with the audience he was relaxed charming and humorous. Everything you could want really.
He only had half an hour, unfortunately, but managed to fit in a surprising number of questions and anecdotes. One of the nicest was a story about Cubby hiring a doctor to accompany Richards pregnant wife on their flight home to the States after filming wrapped on TSWLM.
Also touched on was the 'Everything or Nothing' game, which he saw in development, and his Sideshow Toys figure. (Sideshow sent him one of the dolls and Richard's four year old grandson has his eye on it as a Christmas present. :) )

#10 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:57 PM

Unsurprisingly the cinema was full of older, balder, fatter fans and their children. Also full of people my age with long curly hair. Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only normal looking person at these type of events.

The Q&A session was dogged by inane questions and the sycophancy of the interviewer. However, out of the 150 people there I got a good question in:

"Have you brought your teeth in?"

...was one of the inane questions I mentioned, as was "Have you played EoN yet?". No, my question was the most probing:

"I don't know if you have been informed yet, but you are now immortilised in an Action Man figure. Does that...disturb you that so many people have so much power over you?"

The audience laughed as did he. He answered that he was worried by where the 30 points of articulation were and then went on to tell the anecdote about his grandson wanting to play with it, only to be told it was a 'collectable', not a toy. Bloody right!

They really were poor questions and, as I was brave enough to put my hand up at the start, I sat back and watched audience members engage in blood sports and shouting matches to have their questions answered in the last minutes.

It was only when I walked out that I realised he was on walking sticks. He reaally is not looking well. He has gained a lot of weight in the last 27 years and it twice the size than he was in 1977.

So the film began and I have to say that I was slightly disappointed by this point. I had come expecting the audience to have had decent questions prepared such as I had done. Also, they used a poor cut of TSWLM to screen which jumped from side to side, flickered and mid-end-battle went "3. 2. 1.". However it was nice to see it on, not the big screen, but 'a' bigger screen than I am used to. Again disappointed by the lack of a good screen to show it on. However, TSWLM is my 2nd favourite so that made up for the poor presentation. It made me appreciate how much DVD has done for the Bond series in terms of picture quality.

Afterwards, Mr Kiel was in the foyer signing his autobiography and various photos. I stood for not very long before being able to go up and say hello. It was then that I began to think he was not terribly well at all. He was very quiet and his PA spoke for him even though I extended my hand and said "I'm very pleased to meet you." which he shook back. (Very big scary hands btw) "Could I have your signiture please?" I say, handing him the inserts for TSWLM and MR DVD's. At this moment his PA pipes up:

"Oh, it's

#11 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 01:48 AM

cool story.I saw him on the news recently and yes he doesnt look like hes doin soo well :). But i would have felt kinda ripped off having to pay for an autograph.

#12 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:06 AM

*bump*

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:07 AM

Test.

#14 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:09 AM

Yeah I've gone up and so have you (post count). It just must be certain forums where you're post count doesn't go up.

#15 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:40 AM

That is a wonderful and entertaining story, Brix. Sounds like you had a good time despite the inconvenientcies. I'm glad you got to meet the immortal Richard Kiel (always one of my dreams), because I may never get a chance to. :)

#16 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:07 AM

Yup, the forum games and the test areas are two forums where your post count doesn't go up.

Great story, Brix, it kept me entertained! Shamne you felt so hard done by, but i too would have resented paying for a bloody autograph. Hope you had a good time regardless. Get any good pics?

#17 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:22 PM

Alas no, I did not have my cheque book for my Swiss bank account with me, so I have no photographic proof. :)