This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

An author I think has the Fleming sweep (sort of)

15 replies to this topic

#1 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:36 PM

...I say 'sort of' as, frankly, no author really seems to be able to write quite like Fleming. :)

Has anyone here read British author Bernard Cornwell? He writes historical novels with a strong action element. He's best known for his "Sharpe" series of novels about a British officer in the Napoleonic wars (filmed for television with none other than 006 Sean Bean himself in the lead role).

It occured to me when reading Sharpe's Siege recently that Cornwell's flowing style of prose, which is at its best when writing action scenes, feels a lot like Fleming.

Now I'm no literary scholar, but, if you catch my drift, whilst I don't know literature, I know what I like. And Cornwell & Fleming are two of my favourite writers. I can't explain how the Fleming sweep works or what it is, but reading Cornwell reminds me of it.

Anyone else spotted this?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:44 PM

No I haven't. You seem to very much recommend his works, so I think I'll keep my eyes open for them in the near future.

Right now, (since I'm finished with the James Bond novel series), I'm starting to read the books of Raymond Chandler, another action/detective writer who always highly appraised Fleming's work.

BTW, welcome to CBn Wilbs. :)

#3 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:30 PM

Thanks it's nice to have discovered this place :-)

Actually, if you read anything by Cornwell, I'd recommend "Sharpe's Waterloo" first- but you can read any of them in any order really.

I haven't tried Chandler yet, I recall him getting mentioned in relation to Fleming before, so I'll have to give him a try. Chandler seems to be unknown here in Australia though...

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:39 AM

Alright, I'll take your recommendation. If you do start with Chandler, I recommend starting with his first- 'The Big Sleep.'

#5 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:06 PM

I've read all Chandler's novels and short stories.
Like Fleming, he is one of my favourites writer of thrillers.
Yes The big sleep is great.
You have to read too "the high window", "the Long goodbye" and many others.
One think that surprised me when I discovered Chandler books is that he wrote short stories first that were published. Then he mixed two of these short stories to make one new book. Very strange but very interesting.

#6 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:13 PM

D'oh......! THAT Chandler.... the one who wrote the Phillip Marlowe character, filmed with Bogart in the role? Gawwwwd, I'm so slow I didn't pick up who you meant...

I'll have to add him to my must-read list then.

I seem to recall that Fleming met him (I think Pearson's book on Fleming says so).

#7 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:54 PM

Yes they met many times. They were friends.
There was another famous writer who was Fleming friend. It is Paul Gallico.
When I was a young teenager I was practicing some fencing in Antibes in south of France.
There was an old man training there whose name was Paul Gallico. My parents told me he was a famous writer and I played some fencing fights with him.
He signed for me two or three of his books like The Poseidon adventure or The day Jean-Pierre went round the world.
I was yet a James Bond fan and I had read all the Fleming books when I was 13 years old.
But many, many years later when Paul Gallico was dead a long time ago I read Fleming's biographies by John Pearson and Andrew Lycett.
I discovered Ian Fleming and Paul Gallico knew each other very well.
One of the biggest regret of my life is not to have known that before and not to have asked Paul gallico many questions about Fleming.

#8 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:59 PM

Well, on the positive side, you've got to admit- practicing fencing with one of Fleming's friends is pretty cool!

Is Lycett's bio good? I've only read Pearson's.

#9 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:07 PM

Yes it is a very good biography too!
You have to read it.
Pearson wrote hiq biography in 1966 and Lycett in 1996. So the way to look at wokrs and life of Fleming is different 30 years later.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Cesari
I discovered Ian Fleming and Paul Gallico knew each other very well.
One of the biggest regret of my life is not to have known that before and not to have asked Paul gallico many questions about Fleming.

Paul Gallico of The Poseidon Adventure fame? :eek:

Gee, never knew this!

What a missed oportunity there, Cesari.
:)

#11 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:23 PM

Yes Blofeld's Cat himself!!
Yes what a missed oportunity! :-(

#12 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Wilbs
...Anyone else spotted this?

Wilbs,

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I will put him on my reading list. Welcome to the forum, and that's a good initial contribution.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Cesari

You have to read too "the high window", "the Long goodbye" and many others.

So far, I only own his first two, but I'm hoping to complete the collection. Yes, so far, I'm liking the series, it's no Bond novel, but they're pretty good.

#14 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 07:35 AM

Except the books above, the others Raymond Chandler novels or shot stories that I have read are:
The little sister
Killer in the rain
Bay city blues
Try the girl
Lady in the lake
May be they are others

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:17 PM

How is 'Lady In The Lake" supposed to be? I saw for a very cheap price at a bookstore the other day, but was hesitant to get it. Would you recommend the buying?

#16 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:25 AM

It is one of my favourite.
You can read all the Chandler books without problems.
I don't think that they are bad Chandler books.
The only problem you can get with one of them is to read it as a novel and read it again as two different short stories in another book with other titles.