11 replies to this topic

#1 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:12 PM

I just noticed something upon reading the man with the red tattoo again, it seems that the book was great in detail and action while in Japan but the climax was weird, the helicopter assault has been used in the facts of death, never dream of dying...and i felt like i rereading another benson, then the hotel room ending was a bit of a Gardner edge, but it still had the benson edge...it was a different outing from him, i thought it was going to be really dark from the UK covers like DOubleshot but it wasn't it kind of reminded me of The WOrldNot Enough in some aspects being choped full of story and the action scenes had more of a fleming twist, non of them were super impossable like the other Bensons or Gardners...not a bad book,

Also did any one get the fleming feel when bond was in London at the mourge to look at that body? it was a strange feeling from the past.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

I wrote a pretty darn glowing review of TMWTRT here on CBn, and, I must say, a year later my opinion of the book has only gotten better. It really is, IMO, Benson's best stand alone thriller. Might be time for a re-read.

My review: http://www.commander...es/1050-1.shtml

#3 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 12:04 AM

Originally posted by zencat
I wrote a pretty darn glowing review of TMWTRT here on CBn, and, I must say, a year later my opinion of the book has only gotten better. It really is, IMO, Benson's best stand alone thriller. Might be time for a re-read.

My review: http://www.commander...es/1050-1.shtml

yup, tis' a very good Bond book....

...I'm going through High Time to Kill for the first time.... enjoying it too.... so far... it's the best I've read from Benson (I've read: ZMT, TFOD, NDOD, TMWTRT

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 03:05 AM

I am another who gave TMWTRT a favourable review.

That said (and not having read it in a while) I do recall finding the ending rushed, especially in Benson's dealing with Draco. For such an important character, Bond's final dealing with him was just to sudden and brief.

#5 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:59 AM

Draco? I think you're remembering NEVER DREAM OF DYING, Blue Eyes. Or did you mean Tiger Tanaka?

-zencat
(using Athena's computer)

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:33 AM

Well there you have it Zencat (using Athena's computer - try the log out function :)), it's been that long since I read it I confused my characters!

#7 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:44 AM

I liked the ending, it had a great pace to it and Bond's remark to Yoshida's friend at the end is priceless. The perfect burn as the man is being taken away by the police.

#8 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:11 PM

It's a great book. I've only read Benson's last two books, but that one is a perfect 007 yarn, and better than NDOD.

Two random thoughts on Red Tattoo;

1). It almost has the so-called Fleming sweep. Not quite but very close.
2). The techno-thriller edge to it is very Tom Clancy influenced. And better done- Clancy would waste too many trees trying to describe something, but Benson gets it right in less words.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:50 PM

I agree with both those "random thoughts" Wilbs. Welcome to CBn. :)

-zencat
(still using Athena's computer but having discovered the amazing logout function :))

#10 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 05:14 PM

Ragging on clancy...i like his stuff but yea to detailed

#11 Wilbs

Wilbs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:45 PM

It's a big problem I have with Clancy, actually- he is about as far removed from the 'Fleming Sweep' as you can get. Clancy invents good yarns, he just isn't so great at prose.

#12 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:00 AM

Clancy's good but god...wade threw all the unnecessary detail and people in it...Teeth of the Tiger though is his simplest but yet worse...