Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:42 AM

http://www.ianflemin...ent/000121.html

Roger's Bond Returns in New Ad

November 10, 2003
Roger Moore is back on screen, skiing down the mountain slopes and being wooed by a Russian. But this time its a new ad.

The ad for British supermarket chain Tesco teams Moore, playing a Bond-like character, with Prunella Scales, playing Dotty - a long-running character promoting the supermarket. Scales may be best known to non-British audiences as playing John Cleese's wife on "Fawlty Towers."

The opening scene features Roger and Prunella skiing down a mountain. She invites him back to her chalet, using a thick Russian accent. He agrees with a witty one-liner. The rest is vintage Bond. Gadgets, music and eyebrows, of
course.

The last scene reveals the truth behind the advert, Prunella is dreaming on the sofa and The Spy Who Loved Me is playing on her TV.

Thanks to Jon Auty for sending in this news tip

By the way, if you are in the UK and could send in screen captures of the ad, I'm sure Moore fans worldwide would love to see it.

Posted by James at November 10, 2003 03:57 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds pretty cool. I wish we could see it in the US.

#2 NORK

NORK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:39 AM

Yeah, that would be cool to see it. If only I lived in England.

#3 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:16 AM

Saw this last night (had not read this thread so was unaware there was an advert).

Very good to see Roger back on skies in a Bond type role. Very good/funny advert.

The film shown on the television at the end wasn't a Bond film - not sure which Moore film it is, will have to see it again.

#4 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:48 AM

Saw this last night just before I went to work. Thought I was dreaming!!!

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:16 PM

I also saw it last night. My family didn't even realise it until I yelled "OMG!".
It's a great ad, and I'm not sure what that film at the end is either but I guess they wanted to pretend it was a Bond film to signfy the whole Bond on at Christmas thing and that was as close as they could get without having to pay too many royalties or whatever (probably blew their budget just hiring Moore!).

#6 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:20 PM

Was Roger pretending he was skiing in front of a rear projection plate wearing a piss yellow skisuit?

#7 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:27 PM

No, but his stuntman was!

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:59 AM

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_837074.html

Tesco's pensioner teams up with Sir Roger Moore

Nagging pensioner Dotty, the face of Tesco, has teamed up with Sir Roger Moore for the supermarket's Christmas advertising campaign.

The advert shows Dotty, played by Prunella Scales, seducing the former James Bond on a ski slope and inviting him back to her chalet for a "Christmas surprise".

The pair exchange gifts, enjoy a lavish meal and engage in saucy banter before Dotty moves in to kiss Moore. But as she leans closer, the film dissolves to show it was just a dream.

Scales confessed she was excited at the prospect of kissing Sir Roger. She said: "I read the script and thought 'I am going to get kissed by Roger Moore'.

"And then, like any actress's worst nightmare, I discovered it was only a dream."

Sir Roger described the advert as "charming and humorous".

Tesco UK marketing director Simon Uwins said: "Dotty and her family have been the face of Tesco for nearly a decade and are today more popular than ever.

"Our customers love the comedy behind the ads and we're confident Sir Roger Moore will raise a smile with viewers over Christmas."

Story filed: 08:14 Monday 10th November 2003

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:00 AM

Marvellous ad - so typically Rog.

On skis, talking about a chick and stuffing birds, vintage Rog.

Not sure what the clip at the end was, looked sort of Persuaders era but, as ever, happy to be prove wrong.

#10 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

Same question as usual:
any chance to download it somewhere on the net, so that non-UK residents have a chance to see it?

#11 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere as time over Xmas has not been spent at the laptop, however, Gold was shown over the festive period and the clip in the advert is from that film.

This is a public service....

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

Wow! Sorry Bond111, that I didn't notice this earlier. Roger Moore, sounds cool! :Cool: :)

I'd love to see it, although, it seems location and time (months later now) are not on my side. Alas, oh well.