Best & Worst of the short stories?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Gumbold's_Safe

Gumbold's_Safe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:23 PM

I am starting to read the short stories, having just finished From A View To A Kill and For Your Eyes Only and am wondering what are the favorite short stories of fans here. Plus, which ones fans don't think measure up to the rest of Fleming's output. Thanks!

#2 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:35 PM

I love the Fleming short stories.
Even the property of a lady wich has generally bad reviews is for me a very good one.
I love quantum of solace, I love Octopussy. The living daylights is one of the best, Risico is great, For your eyes only is one of my favourite short story too.
I love all the Fleming short stories!!!!

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:38 PM

There all great! I personally love 'Quantum of Solace', 'Octopussy' and 'Risico'. 'The Hildebrand Rarity' is great also. You really can't have 'bad Fleming', but to answer your question, I think his efforts on 'The Property Of A Lady' could've have been slightly better, but it's still a great Bond story.

#4 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:14 PM

I'll take “Quantum of Solace” as my favorite. I truly love them all, but if I had to pick the one I find the weakest it would most likely be “007 in New York” due to the travel logue nature of the story.

#5 Mjr. P.Townsend

Mjr. P.Townsend

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:52 AM

The Fleming short stories ranked:

1. For Your Eyes Only
2. The Living Daylights
3. The Hildenbrant Rarity
4. Risico
5. Quantum Of Solace
6. From A View To A Kill
7. Octopussy
8. The Property Of A Lady
9. 007 In New York (haven't read it)

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:57 AM

I've only read those in the For Your Eyes Only collection so far, but I enjoyed “Quantum of Solace” and “The Hildebrand Rarity” most. Reading this collection made me appreciate the film For Your Eyes Only much more.

#7 iain

iain

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:11 PM

This is a sore subject for me as the contents of my car were just stolen and all of the Fleming short stories on CD (along with MR and TMWTGG) were among the items lost.

I would have to say that FYEO and TLD are the best 'Bond' short stories, but Quantum of Solace and Octopussy are my favourites as they give the reader another perspective of Fleming.

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:17 PM

007 in New York is definitely one of the weakest but is still good.

#9 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 02:19 AM

I am very fond of the tropics and I find Fleming's work in THE HILDEBRAND RARITY and OCTOPUSSY to be quite inspiring. They are my favourites.

Eon, however, gave THE PROPERTY OF A LADY a better treatment in Octopussy the movie (Bond making Kamal pay up at Sotheby's while providing Fanning with an ulcer, Magda, Bond switching the Faberge') than Fleming gave it in the book (too many tid bits on the various object de vertu, etc.:))