4 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:23 PM

I can't believe with all of the anniversaries we've celebrated recently we forgot FRWL's premiere on Oct. 10, 1963.

I was off work the other day and sat down to listen to the FRWL DVD commentary track. It's been a while since I've watched it and even without the soundtrack up it struck me as not just a great Bond film, but a great piece of cinema.

Here's a few thoughts:
The Hitchcock influence does the film a great service, you feel actual tension and that something is at stake. Barry's soundtrack captures not just the local flavor, but enhances the suspense, like in mosque sequence. The violence is raw. The gypsy fight is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. And the fight between Bond and Grant is still one of the best action sequences in any film and by far the best fight in a Bond film.

And to think this was only the second film in the series and the creative team was still finding its was somewhat. So here's a tip of the fedora to one of the more underrated Bond adventures.

#2 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:39 PM

I agree about the Hitchcockian feel to the film. I've always described the film as "Hitchcock on steroids". In many ways, it comes the closest to truly capturing the sprit of Ian Fleming.

#3 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:54 AM

best bond film in my view..Happy Belated B-Day FRWL!!!!

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:49 AM

by all means let me wish this film a happy birthday, one of the best bond films ever

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:03 PM

It really is a great James Bond movie. I love the stuff on the Orient Express and Red Grant is a favorite physical villain of mine.