56 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:28 PM

I'm really looking forward to this film. I liked both "Bourne" film versions. The Chamberlain mini-series is more faithful to the book but is not cinematic.

The thought of a James Bond like guy with amnesia is an interesting premise, probably done to death now but it was fresh when the book came out.

I always thought a streamlined version of TBI could be great on the big screen and I was pleasantly surprised by the Matt Damon film. I missed the 'Carlos the Jackal' element but it's a modern era film.I'd like to see what they do in the sequel. I hope they bring Famka Potente back. Bourne is not Bond. He doesn't have new lovers with each installment. I hope they at least keep that aspect of the books intact.

Anyone else looking forward to Bourne Supremecy,to begin filming in Germany soon.:cool:

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:38 PM

The Bourne Supremacy to Start Filming

Source: Variety

Thursday, October 30, 2003

The Bourne Supremacy is set to start shooting at Studio Babelsberg outside Berlin in coming weeks.

Paul Greengrass' follow-up to Universal's 2002 hit The Bourne Identity will film in Berlin and other German locations through February after its shoot in Russia.

Matt Damon will reprise his role as Jason Bourne, a man on a search to find out his real identity as he evades the CIA and assassins. In the sequel, a Chinese vice-premier has been slain by the legendary assassin Jason Bourne.

Of course, there is no Jason Bourne. The identity is simply a cover for the CIA's David Webb. But with someone else assuming the Bourne identity, the U.S. must find a way to avert a international diplomatic scandal that imperils Sino-American peace.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:46 PM

I liked the first book and movie (and mini series) but I was less enthusiatic about the second book....It will be interesting to see what changes they make to it.

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:49 PM

It will be a complete overhaul of the book, like the first film.I wonder if David Webb is supposed to be his real name? They never established that in the 2002 film....

#5 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, I was wondering why they left that part out of the film. Hopefully it's something they'll establish in SUPREMACY.

I too loved both IDENTITY films, as well as the novel, but have not yet gotten myself to read the novel of SUPREMACY. Maybe the movie will get me into it...

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:50 PM

I read about 1/3 of Supremecy. It started out OK...

#7 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:02 PM

lol - doesn't sound to encouraging.

Oh yes, something I forgot to mention regarding IDENTITY - I really think that they should have kept the idea that Bourne was hunting after a terrorist or something, to give the film another real villain (the whole idea that Bourne was being hunted by both the government AND Carlos was great in the novel).

I just hope they bring back composer John Powell, who did the music for IDENTITY, which I loved.

#8 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:11 PM

Yes the lack of 'Carlos' as a foil was dissapointing. That was afterall, the reason for his existence as Jason Bourne. I could see Benedicio Del Toro eat up the screen as 'Carlos' but that won't happen now because the producers decided the books were too dated with cold war material and the real carlos is in a french prison...etc.

Maybe they could make up a new terrorist for him to capture; that would appeal to the public's facsination with bin Laden and Al -Queda...I read Bourne Identity in 2001, about 6 months before 9-11 so it was surreal to see this real world terror actually exist after getting involved in the 'Bourne' books.

#9 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:27 PM

Well, if the filmmakers were smart, they'd see the potential that the whole "Carlos" thing has. They could perhaps introduce him in SUPREMACY, even for just a second, and in ULTIMATUM, bring him in as a major villain (I haven't read that one yet, but I do know that it deals with Bourne's showdown with Carlos).

Del Toro could be an interesting choice for the terrorist. I just hope they bring back Brian Cox and give him an extended role.

And along those lines, I wish they hadn't killed Clive Owen's character, The Professor. He was pretty effective, but was given so little screen time. It would have been interesting to see him emerge as an ally of Bourne's, much like Conklin in the novel SUPREMACY. Maybe Cox as Abbott could fill that gap for the movie...

#10 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:09 AM

I hope Bourne's character is more fleshed out. Matt Damon was too young. I hope they do a better job with him. Jason Bourne is supposed to be late 30's, fluent in 10 languages, a PHD...etc. He is compelling because his intellect and physical skills were incongruous. He had the brain of a professor but the body of a killer/soldier....

#11 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:41 AM

Damon's 30. Its a franchise series, and was intended to be from the outset. Good move signing him so he isn't going to be 50+ playing someone whos supposed to be in their late 30s....hm...

Should be a cracker of a film, the first one was great.

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:47 AM

actually Bourne was exactly 50 in the final book,The Bourne Ultimatum, which takes place 13 years after the first adventure when Bourne is 37. :)

#13 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 01:30 PM

Funny this should pop up now, I'm actually 3/4 the way through IDENTITY at the moment, and I'm enjoying every page of it.

#14 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:57 PM

I'm glad a sequel is coming out. I did enjoy the Bourne Identity movie, and thought it was okay compared to the book, even though the book is always better. I bought the DVD.

I started reading Ludlum in the late 70's, and think I have read most of his books. There have been few attempts to cinematize his books, and some attempts were ridiculous failures - like Ostermann Weekend. The mini-series with Jaclyn Smith...well she's always nice to look at :) [saw her in an airport a few years ago, stopping off to promote her K-Mart stuff].

After a while, I did tire of Jason, just like I tired of the Jack Ryan series[Clancy novels]. Only 007 do I find untiring - I haven't figured out why :)

Cheers

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:15 PM

They will need to overhaul the book for the film....I think SUPREMACY was the weakest of the Bourne books.

#16 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:26 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Damon's 30.  Its a franchise series, and was intended to be from the outset.  Good move signing him so he isn't going to be 50+ playing someone whos supposed to be in their late 30s....hm...

If I recall correctly from the Fleming novels [Casion Royale?] retirement age from the 00 section is mandatory at age 45.

Cheers.

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:37 PM

If I recall correctly from the Fleming novels [Casion Royale?] retirement age from the 00 section is mandatory at age 45."

Pierce is too old then. Next! :)

#18 Derringer

Derringer

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
Pierce is too old then. Next! :)

That's correct if we follow the literary version of Bond.

Which brings up the question, just what would be the productive years for these type of people, real or fictional?? :)

My own opinion is from 30 to 50 years, and in some cases up to age 55, but then certainly moved to a management postion after that

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Derringer

That's correct if we follow the literary version of Bond.

Which brings up the question, just what would be the productive years for these type of people, real or fictional?? :)

My own opinion is from 30 to 50 years, and in some cases up to age 55, but then certainly moved to a management postion after that

Well its obvious that Pierce is too old to be a 00, but that hasn't stopped EON in the past.

#20 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 09:54 PM

He would be fine if they hurried up! :mad:

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot

I hope they bring Famka Potente back.

According to the IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0372183/fullcredits), Potente is returning, while Joan Allen has been cast as Agent Helen Landy - no other cast members are named, despite the fact that the films opens next July.

I loved THE BOURNE IDENTITY, and am very much looking forward to this sequel. Does anyone here know if it contains scenes actually shot in China?

SUPREMACY is being directed by a Briton, Paul Greengrass, whom I'd not heard of before now. He seems to be a newcomer to big budget Hollywood filmmaking, but he's had an interesting career. Like Michael Apted, Lee Tamahori and Stephen Frears, he seems to have the "prestige factor" (thanks to his work in journalism and documentaries) that appears to be a real turn-on for Eon right now. Might Greengrass direct BOND 22, or even BOND 21?

From http://www.filmbug.com/db/36950:

Paul Greengrass began his career as an investigative journalist and award-winning documentary filmmaker. He produced and directed the award-winning British television series World In Action and went on to make such highly acclaimed documentaries as Food and Trucks and Rock and Roll, U2 - Anthem for the Eighties, Moscow Week, Coppers and What Ever Happened to Woodward and Bernstein. He also wrote and directed the television drama When The Lies Run Out, winner of the Chicago Film Festival Silver Medal.

Greengrass' feature films include Resurrected, starring David Thewlis, winner of the Interfilm and OCIC Jury Awards at the Berlin Film Festival; Sophie's World; The One That Got Away with Paul McGann and David Morrissey; and The Fix, the story of one of the biggest sports scandals ever to hit Great Britain.

Greengrass is also the co-author, with Peter Wright, of the controversial bestseller Spycatcher.

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:07 AM

thanks for that report. I look forward to the Bourne Supremacy.This film intrigues me...

#23 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:18 AM

Can't wait for the Bourne Supremacy. Identity was great, and I think Damon makes a good action hero. Haven't read the books, but I'm looking around for them.

#24 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Derringer

If I recall correctly from the Fleming novels [Casion Royale?]  retirement age from the 00 section is mandatory at age 45.

Cheers.

He states that the mandatory age for retirement is 45 thats right! It's in Moonraker though not CR from memory. Though he also says that he's got eight years to go, and as you probably remember thinks he's more likely to be killed than make 45.

Tarl, thanks for the bit about Bourne's age. I've actually read the trilogy, though the idea of a slowed down Jason Bourne really didn't grab me in the later books. Its a bit like the idea of a 50 yr old Bond convincingly beating down guys 20 years younger... A little long in the tooth :)

#25 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Loomis

SUPREMACY is being directed by a Briton, Paul Greengrass, whom I'd not heard of before now. He seems to be a newcomer to big budget Hollywood filmmaking, but he's had an interesting career.  

Greengrass' feature films include Resurrected, starring David Thewlis, winner of the Interfilm and OCIC Jury Awards at the Berlin Film Festival; Sophie's World; The One That Got Away with Paul McGann and David Morrissey;  

Greengrass is also the co-author, with Peter Wright, of the controversial bestseller Spycatcher.

I'm severly worried by this. Firstly because I thought the origional director had a killer debut with Identity. Secondly, cause this director is really a bit of a hack. Never seen any of his work. But The One That Got Away is based on SAS veteran Chris Ryan's escape from Iraq during the Gulf War in which members of Bravo Two Zero were either all captured or killed apart from him who walked a week to Syria.

The reason this worries me so much is that the finished product differed vastly from Ryan's accounts in his book of the same name of the events. It really pissed off a lot of people in the regiment and the families of those killed. Ryan copped a lot of flack over it to. Not too encouraging for me :)

#26 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:10 AM

this director is really a bit of a hack.  Never seen any of his work.  

Now there's an interesting statement. Never seen anything the guy's done, but you're calling him a hack?

#27 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:06 PM

Firstly because I thought the origional director had a killer debut with Identity.

It wasn't a debut. THE BOURNE IDENTITY was Doug Liman's fourth feature, after GETTING IN (1994), SWINGERS (1996) and GO (1999). He's an executive producer on THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, which may or may not mean he has some creative input.

Secondly, cause this director is really a bit of a hack.  Never seen any of his work.  

Hmmm.... well, have faith. As Roebuck points out, you gotta experience someone's work to judge it.

#28 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 02:27 PM

Sorry Loomis, your right. Don't know why I thought it was his major film debut. Maybe I got confused because it was his first major studio film.

Yeah i'll say his a hack about The One That Got Away. Considering the author who wrote the book wasn't exactly too pleased with how things worked out. I don't have to have seen it to know he didn't do a good job with staying faithful to the material on the page. It's like someone telling you the plot for Moonraker. You don't have to see the film to know it's not true to the book!

#29 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:21 PM

But that's screenplay, not direction. Did Greengrass write the script for 'The One That Got Away' ?
Or was he simply doing the job he was hired to do and making the best film he could from the material he'd been given?
You're going by what others have said about this production rather than seeing it for yourself and coming to your own conclusions.

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:25 PM

Yeah i'll say his a hack about The One That Got Away.  Considering the author who wrote the book wasn't exactly too pleased with how things worked out.  I don't have to have seen it to know he didn't do a good job with staying faithful to the material on the page.  It's like someone telling you the plot for Moonraker.  You don't have to see the film to know it's not true to the book!  

But since when must films stay faithful to books they're based on? Would you call Lewis Gilbert a hack on the basis of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER? Anyway, aren't only a couple of the Bond films faithful to the original Fleming novels?

Look at (just to pick one movie off the top of my head) DIE HARD: it bears almost no relation to the novel on which it's based, Roderick Thorp's "Nothing Lasts Forever". Yet I doubt that many people would call director John McTiernan a hack because of that. Of course, many are calling him a hack now, but that's only because he's no longer making innovative, commercially-successful films like PREDATOR, DIE HARD and THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, and he seems to have lost his touch as a filmmaker (personally, I don't believe he has, but that's by the by).

I would imagine that most adaptations stray considerably from the original source material. Here's another example: ABOUT SCHMIDT. The film makes a huge number of major changes to the novel, but it is, IMO, one of the best things to have come out of Hollywood in recent years.

So I don't think it's valid to say that a director who makes changes to a book must be a hack. This also applies to Chris Ryan's book, which is supposedly non-fiction. The movie made by Greengrass was never intended as a documentary or a factual version of real events. I guess it was intended as "faction", part truth and part artistic licence.