#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 February 2001 - 11:12 AM

Original Message by Adam

The opening songs for Goldeneye was sung by Tina Turner, Tomorrow Never Dies by Cheryl Crow and The World Is Not Enough by Garbage, which song and artist did you like best, it's a hard desition, I think Tina Turner did a fantastic Job but because TND was my favorite I'd have to go with Cheryl Crow.

I wonder who will sing the opening song for Bond 20 ?.

Oh yeah Garbage was great too.

#2 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2001 - 05:14 AM

Bond songs, when they're at their best, stand the test of time- like Bond, they have elegance, elan. There really aren't a whole lot of singers like that anymore, at least not known to most young people (excluding myself- I take from pop culture what I want, no more, and that's not much).

Anybody on this board familiar with an old singer/songwriter named Charles Aznavour? He's best-known for reinventing the chansson, allowing them to talk about the social problems of France at the time- poverty, unrest- he even wrote one called "What Makes a Man?" from the point of view of a gay female impersonator. This he was not, he was married five times, according to an old (and thusly probably more accurate article, as much of the information was more recent and less likely to get lost over time). He's a little guy, 5'3", world-weary and sad-eyed, often described as looking like an adult Charlie Brown. He still packs concert halls around the globe (translating his set into the national language of whatever nation he's in when he performs there). French women, I'm told still even today swoon to the sound of his voice.

My point (for in the end, I've got one) is, how about him? He has the elegance, elan, a French accent, and a great voice as well- and he's a terrific songwriter (over 600 to his credit). He was voted Entertainer of the Century in a Time Magazine poll in '98, beating out such greats as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Bob Dylan (a self-professed Aznavour fan, he covered Aznavour's "The Times We've Known", an English version of Aznavour's "Les bons moments".)

So, what do you all think? Should we give it to him?

Dave

(somewhere, in the back row, a small child thinks I'm screwy; if only she knew how right she was)

#3 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 01:25 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Mar, 2001 02:15 a.m.):
Relic? Sheez you would see my music collection. I have about 10 sinatra cds and about 3 modern ones.

I don't say that Spears can sing (she can perform though) but if it meant selling Bond 20 I'd put up wtih it.

Got it.

Dave

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 03:31 PM

Your right about TWINE sounding better on CD. Also on the DVD version of TWINE is it me or does the volume vary during the action scenes eg. the skiing sequence

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 01:15 AM

Relic? Sheez you would see my music collection. I have about 10 sinatra cds and about 3 modern ones.

I don't say that Spears can sing (she can perform though) but if it meant selling Bond 20 I'd put up wtih it.

#6 wallflower

wallflower

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2001 - 10:28 PM

You may think I am nuts, but I think we have heard enough Bond 90's music. I think we should here some rock and pop here in the 00's. I think The Wallflowers should do the Bond theme song. Sure, they do have too many metaphors in their music, but they are my favorite, and I think they should have a chance at accelerating at a Bond song.

#7 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 08:28 PM

Yes, the soundtrack volume dips and rises depending on the onscreen action - just listen to the R2 TND disc with the music only option and you'll see (or rather hear) what I mean...

As for a singer for Bod 20?

Shirley Manson please!

She has the best voice on a Bond title since the great Shirley Bassey, so let's run with it and have a great Bond 20.

Let's not forget, TWINE was NOT written by Garbage, they simply performed it.

Maybe more artistic license should be given to the artist - maybe have a competition for the song like with TND?

Then again... Maybe not =)

J

BTW, "Pulp" (Jarvis Cocker lead singer)'s song didn't get taken up by EON so they changed the lyrics. Very funny swipe - if you can find a copy...

#8 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2001 - 04:59 AM

Sorry to snap at you, Blue Eyes. I can get a little hot under the collar when speaking of modern 'singers' whose records sell more for their looks than their discernible talent. Forgiven?

David (the same who sent those observations that I was surprised to find posted on the site)- but you can call me Dave.

#9 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 12:47 AM

I didn't like Aznavour's rendition of "Yesterday When I Was Young". I guess it was just the phrasing, how other performers sang it more evenly. I liked Roy Clark's rendition on The Muppet Show- right key for it (C#), good orchestration, and the way he performs it. TMS is my favorite show, incidentally.

How about that? I'm 18 and I'm already a relic!

Dave

#10 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 12:46 AM

Blue Eyes (24 Mar, 2001 11:39 p.m.):
Wow, a man who actually enjoys real music :) I'm impressed!

Ah, thank you.

Charles Aznavour is a great singer, I wont' deny that. But personally I don't like his rendition of 'She'. I just prefer Elvis Costello's and Burt Baccarat (sp??).

Bacharach.  Say, what if HE wrote the title song?

I just prefer their diction of the song, I think it makes it more romantic.

I don't recall their rendition.  Saw them sing together in Austin Powers:  The Spy Who Shagged Me, but don't remember the song.  Was that the song they were singing in that scene?

I wouldn't mind him doing the opening song as long as it was properly suited to todays standards if that makes sense. Though I have a feeling that EON/MGM will go for a chart hit.

They probably won't have him do it.  He hasn't been rumored, just suggested by me, and anyway he's 76 years old, and he'll be 77 in late May.

I would have loved to have seen Frank Sinatra (aka legend) do a Bond song. Alas that can never be.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Oh and dont' worry about the Britney Spears thing. I dont' entirely like her (I prefer her body) but I would be able to put up with her as long as it was the right song, very Bond and sold well!

I don't think Britney Spears has the right voice for Bond... her singing voice sounds like a ten-year-old! She really doesn't have a mature sounding voice, and the Bond artists need to have mature voices as a prerequisite... is all this making good sense to you?

Dave (an advocate for better music in the world today- no more of this anonymous-sounding teen crap! Kids today don't know what a singer is or what one sounds like! Shirley Bassey- now SHE'S a singer!)

#11 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 12:39 AM

What do you think of Jamiroquai. I'm very biased but I do think they would do the perfect track[/quote]

I have heard of Jamiroquai, but I've never heard anything they've done. Sorry I can't be of help.

Dave

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 February 2001 - 11:14 AM

Original Message by Erik Rupp

Personally, I like a lot of them, "From Russia," "Goldfinger," "Thunderball," "Live and let die," and "Goldeneye," but my favorite's got to be "A View To A Kill," by Duran Duran - and I don't even like Duran Duran.

I'd love to see a Rock Band (like KISS or Iron Maiden - who can be VERY theatrical musically) get a shot at the theme song, but that's only happened a couple times.

Alice Cooper actually wrote and recorded a proposed theme song to THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, but after some initial interest (in the wake of Paul McCartney's wildly successful theme to LIVE...) EON rejected it. Too bad. It's a good song (you can find it on his MUSCLE OF LOVE album). (Although I do like the theme song that they did use for MAN...)

#13 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2001 - 05:38 AM

Here I am, replying to myself.

I just want to add, don't think I'm just suggesting Aznavour because I like his singing. I listen to Jim Nabors too (odd for a college freshman in this day and age), but I'd never suggest him. I like Lou Rawls too, he might be a good choice-

personawise- smooth, cool, one of the greats

singingwise- great, unmistakable, unforgettable, instantly recognizable voice (or rather, you don't mistake him for other singers). Distinctive, that's the word. Distinctive voice. Great one, too.

Well, let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

#14 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 11:33 AM

Blue Eyes (29 Apr, 2001 01:16 a.m.):
I liked TWINE by Garbage when it first came out but these days it bores me. I still prefer the TND tunes (Crowe and Lang) anyday!

Yes, TWINE sounds better on CD than it does in the film and you surprise me when you say you like Crowe's song for TND. I don't think that song is right for a Bond film, though Lang's (which is John Barry like) should have been the opening song (the lyrics do contain the words TND). For Bond 20 we should have Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey belting it out to a David Arnold number. Also, could the filmakers raise the soundtrack decibels higher because in GE and TWINE it was too low !!.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 12:16 AM

I liked TWINE by Garbage when it first came out but these days it bores me. I still prefer the TND tunes (Crowe and Lang) anyday!

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 March 2001 - 11:39 PM

Wow, a man who actually enjoys real music :) I'm impressed!

Charles Aznavour is a great singer, I wont' deny that. But personally I don't like his rendition of 'She'. I just prefer Elvis Costello's and Burt Baccarat (sp??). I just prefer their diction of the song, I think it makes it more romantic.

I wouldn't mind him doing the opening song as long as it was properly suited to todays standards if that makes sense. Though I have a feeling that EON/MGM will go for a chart hit.

I would have loved to have seen Frank Sinatra (aka legend) do a Bond song. Alas that can never be.

Oh and dont' worry about the Britney Spears thing. I dont' entirely like her (I prefer her body) but I would be able to put up with her as long as it was the right song, very Bond and sold well!

#17 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 04:30 PM

I think the World is not enough by Garbage was probably the best but I did like Goldeneye which was written by Bono I think.

#18 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 March 2001 - 03:33 PM

In my personal opinion (slighty, no very biased) I think Jamiroquai would do an absolutely superb Bond theme take a listen to 'Travelling Without Moving' its fast paced and completely original. They did submit a demo for TWINE but it didn't get anywhere obviously. Do You Agree?

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 February 2001 - 11:13 AM

Original Message by Damien Browne

If Arnold sticks to his promise of a fast Bond song for Bond 20 then we're probably looking at a light Techno beat aren't we?
What about Australia's Madison Avenue who did 'Dont Call Me Baby'. I think they'd be a great choice!

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 March 2001 - 03:24 AM

Yes I quite like some of his songs, though they're not all familiar.

I'd love to know what happens to the demo songs that get submitted. I wonder where they go and if it's possible to find them? Perhaps on Napster?

#21 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2001 - 04:56 AM

Don't ever mention Britney Spears again.

#22 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 March 2001 - 09:14 PM

I have had a look on Napster for the Jamiroquai demo but I can't find it. There was rumor however that it would be released on the next single as a B-side. That single unfortunately didn't come out. There new single is scheduled for July with an Album in September with any look we might get it as a bonus.

P.S. I reckon they'll give it another shot with Bond 20 JK is really Keen. MM.

#23 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 March 2001 - 12:23 AM

rubixcub (24 Mar, 2001 05:38 a.m.):
Here I am, replying to myself.

I just want to add, don't think I'm just suggesting Aznavour because I like his singing.  I listen to Jim Nabors too (odd for a college freshman in this day and age), but I'd never suggest him.  I like Lou Rawls too, he might be a good choice-

personawise- smooth, cool, one of the greats

singingwise- great, unmistakable, unforgettable, instantly recognizable voice (or rather, you don't mistake him for other singers).  Distinctive, that's the word.  Distinctive voice.  Great one, too.

Well, let me know what you think.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

What do you think of Jamiroquai. I'm very biased but I do think they would do the perfect track

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 March 2001 - 10:08 AM

I think it would be very hard to 'accelerate' Bond into the 00's. Today there are several different groups of music all with their own completely different style and all with a lot of followers. Very few people liking more than one group.

Think about it:
Britney Spears vs. Metallica. Both having a huge following.

Personally I think they should remain straight down the line!! And you know who I think should do it! U2

I know Bono wrote GoldenEye but I think that U2 should do it with David Arnold.