Damn SPECTRE.....

#32 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:44 AM

I've been looking over this website, and am astonished to find that McClory doesn't also wish to take credit for helping to invent the question mark.

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:49 AM

Thanks Blox....

#34 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Blox

...Hi Loomis. You might find some info at his site: http://www.spectreorganisation.com/

Thanks, Blox. Looks interesting. Now to see what McClory has to say for himself....

#35 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:58 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
I've been looking over this website, and am astonished to find that McClory doesn't also wish to take credit for helping to invent the question mark.

That's only because Al Gore beat him to the punch. :)

-- Xenobia

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:11 PM

Okay...back of with all this venom....If Ian Fleming hadn't been such an idiot to steal McClory and Whittinghams ideas then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:29 AM

McClory just didn't know when to stop. I mean, did he think he owned the entire 007 franchise? Ugh, he's the real enemy of James Bond.

Oh yeah, Happy anniversary NSNA, it is a pretty good Bond film.

#38 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:50 AM

[quote]XENOBIA: (And note to Bryce you are old!)
BRYCE(003): Ouch... Actually Xen, women grow old...Men become distinguished...
ZENCAT: Gotta back up my brother here. It all gets better with age.
BRYCE(003): Thanks Zencat

#39 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:54 PM

Actally I think NSNA set a precedent that a "name" movie could be released at a time other than Summer or Christmas and do great box office. In the years after, other "name" films were released in early October.

I have a tape from a week of TODAY SHOW segments from January 1983 where both Moore and Connery appeared while filming their Bond movies. Connery said he ran into Roger at a hotel in London and bragged that he (Connery) was going to be filming in the South of France and the Bahamas while Roger would be in chilly London and steamy India.

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bonded56

I have a tape from a week of TODAY SHOW segments from January 1983 where both Moore and Connery appeared while filming their Bond movies.  Connery said he ran into Roger at a hotel in London and bragged that he (Connery) was going to be filming in the South of France and the Bahamas while Roger would be in chilly London and steamy India.

That's really funny....I love the fact that my two favorite Bonds (Moore and Connery) are good pals off the screen too.

#41 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:03 PM

Ah, yes.

Never Say Never Again.

One of the most fun opening sequence. I still regard it as one of my favorites.

Ah, ted tape at its finest.

Poor Algernon. Some one needs to turn the heat on for him.

#42 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Matt O'S. (oo4)

One of the most fun opening sequence. I still regard it as one of my favorites.

Yes, NEVER SAY NEVER SAY has a terrific opening sequence. I love the first shot, coming through the pattern of "007"s, the camera rushing forward, establishing the landscape, then following Sean as he runs along. Very, very cool indeed.:cool:

#43 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Athena007
My opinion... Both gentlemen are mature with twinges of childishness

#44 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:35 PM

I think the dialogue in NSNA is pure genius.

#45 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Athena007
Like fine wine I savor these men with every touch to the tongue... :)

Every touch of the tongue, heh? I definately need to get out to LA to get my fair share. :)

-- Xen

PS: NSNA worked but the line "Your brother is dead, keep dancing" can in no way compare to the scene in TB when Domino finds out her brother is dead. Connery's reaction is much stronger in the latter.

#46 algernon

algernon

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:06 AM

I was introduced to Bond in 1986 at age 14 by a friend who thought Roger Moore was the best 007 and J.W. Pepper was good reason to watch Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun.
I had been indoctrinated to the point that when I saw Never Say Never Again for the first time on video in '87, I wondered why the hell Bond had a Scottish accent. That ignorance still makes me cringe.
Not too long afterward, though, I got Steven Jay Rubin's wonderful book The James Bond Films and saw some of the earliest Bond films, and found what I had been missing.
Now it's clear that the fact Octopussy made more money than Never Say Never Again is prime indication that P.T. Barnum (I think it was) was right to say that no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
I rank NSNA as the fifth best Bond film ever, after From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Dr. No and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Besides Connery, it has Klaus Maria Brandauer, Barbara Carrera, Kim Basinger-all more impressive than their counterparts in Thunderball.
Anyone who has any doubts about how Connery and Moore compare should watch NSNA and Octopussy back to back. The Tarzan yell, camels dodging flying golf carts, an airplane emerging from a horse's ***...fun for 14-year-olds, but it would have made Ian Fleming spit out his vodka.

#47 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:42 AM

Steven Jay Rubin's book was also a seminal part of my Bond coming of age experience. Welcome to CBn, algernon. :)

#48 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 06:01 AM

I remember going to see NSNA after school on the Friday it opened. While it was a good film, it wasn't better than the original, Thunderball, nor the Eon film that preceded it during the summer, Octopussy. A "bells & whistles" version of NSNA on DVD would be cool(I remember when a "bells & whistles" laserdisc was rumored to be coming out in Lee Pfeiffer's "Films of Sean Connery" book)but, I'm rather sick of hearing Connery piss & moan about Eon. Kevin pissing & moaning would be different. I, too, am surprised that McClory never wrote a book on his experiences regarding Bond. A missed opportunity, unless he gets his behind in gear. I'm still waiting for the Saltzman bio.

#49 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:37 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Steven Jay Rubin's book was also a seminal part of my Bond coming of age experience. Welcome to CBn, algernon. :)

Yes, as it was for me too....it's still my favorite book on the behind-the-scenes history of the James Bond movies.

When I had my folks send stuff to me from Scotland, top of the list of things I wanted was my copy of Steven Jay Rubin's "The James Bond Films: A Behind The Scenes History"!! :)

#50 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, Steve Rubin's book was my first book on the Bond Films. Shame Eon had to be so lame in regards to letting him use official pics from the movies. Funny how Eon has waffled on that decision over the years.

#51 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:07 PM

It was my first Bond book, too. I remember this being rumored for months and it finally came out in the fall of 1981. John Brosnan's The James Bond Films was the only other book about the films to that point, and it was released nine years before it, with an updated version later in 1981 also. Now we have countless books about the Bond phenomenon.

There's an interesting interview with Rubin in an old issue of Bondage from around 1981 or 82. He explains how he had all those stills and suddenly Broccoli shut him out and wouldn't cooperate. Since they were probably stills we're all familiar with anyway, I was glad how the book turned out, with things we normally get to see.

But since Brosnan was also critical of a lot of things about Bond, I wonder why he got permission. Then again, he wasn't doing a behind-the-scenes thing.

#52 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Turn
It was my first Bond book, too. I remember this being rumored for months and it finally came out in the fall of 1981.

It was also updated in 1983 to include both Octopussy and Never Say Never Again....that is the edition that I have....

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:26 AM

Ah, the first book I bought (about the Bond films0 I bought the (Up-To GoldenEye) version and I recently bought the newest up to Die Another Day version. I've always liked how Rubin does the writing. Although I don't agree with some of his ratings of the Bond films, Moonraker -1 star? The film is much more better than that.

#54 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:59 AM

well the title he gave the MR chapter was the "Harry Houdini Syndrome" so that tells you a lot....
I think we are referring to different books though Qwerty...I don't think there has been an updating of "The James Bond Films: A Behind the Scenes History" since the mid-1980s...

#55 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:02 AM

Snow, you are right. What a fool I am! I actually don't have that book yet. another Bond item to add to my list. If it's Bond and you don't own it, buy it! :)

#56 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:37 AM

Maybe Qwerty is thinking of The James Bond Encyclopedia written by Rubin. That book is rife with mistakes, though.

#57 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:59 AM

I think that is the book that Qwerty is talking about....and you are right TheSaint, it is rife with mistakes which is a shame since Rubins earlier book was not...
I hope Rubin updates "The James Bond Films: A Behind the Scenes History" to include the newer movies....it's been 20 years and a lot has happened in the world of Bond in the interim.

#58 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:14 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I think that is the book that Qwerty is talking about....and you are right TheSaint, it is rife with mistakes which is a shame since Rubins earlier book was not...
I hope Rubin updates "The James Bond Films: A Behind the Scenes History" to include the newer movies....it's been 20 years and a lot has happened in the world of Bond in the interim.

I'd welcome an updated version, but I don't think he will for a couple of reasons: 1. There have been umpteen books about the films as well as DVD commentaries and making-of documentaries where the stories have already been told. 2. EON probably would put out some type of gag order on talking to Rubin considering his writing and putting the book out without EON's blessing all those years ago.

That's probably why he sticks with the encyclopedia thing. It's a shame it's not a better product with the aforementioned mistakes and lack of updating beyond the section with the Brosnan films.

#59 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:50 PM

It is a shame because Rubins "The James Bond Films: A Behind the Scenes History" is without a doubt the absolute best book on the behind the scenes info on the first 20 years of James Bond movies!