This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Your least favorite James Bond novel (or short story)

40 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:59 PM

least favorite Fleming: You Only Live Twice
Favorite: Live and Let Die

Least favorite Gardner: Never Send Flowers
Favorite: Nobody Lives Forever

Least Favorite Benson: Doubleshot
Favorite: The Facts of Death

#32 scotsman

scotsman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

Never Send Flowers and Gardner's last novel in 96,Man with the Golden Gun by Fleming,and most of Benson's(I still read each new one,but sorry,Benson isnt very good,his only saving grace is the re-'Britishisation' of the novel Bond).My favourite novel and film are OHMSS.

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 04:58 PM

Never Send Flowers and Gardner's last novel in 96,Man with the Golden Gun by Fleming,and most of Benson's(I still read each new one,but sorry,Benson isnt very good,his only saving grace is the re-'Britishisation' of the novel Bond).My favourite novel and film are OHMSS.

I expect you mean 'Cold' or 'ColdFall', as it is also called. I was greatly let down with that book, after reading the excellent (in my opinion) SeaFire. It was a very interesting idea to split the book up into two sets of years, but I think it fails horribly in this attempt. The villain is not up to par, and the girls, only because we've seen them before are simply okay.

Rather too bad considering it was his final Bond novel, although he has wirriten worse, and 'Cold' isn't completely bad.....

#34 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:53 PM

I never really got into Diamonds are Forever, it got kind of boring, and a little too strange

#35 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:12 PM

I never really got into Diamonds are Forever, it got kind of boring, and a little too strange

It took me two times to really get into this one, and I've grown to like it for the very reason that it's a little different. I like it, but not the same level of other Fleming adventures, the villains are just not up to par for one thing.....although Tiffany's character is intriguing.

#36 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:34 PM

All of Gardner's books were bad in one way or another, though The Man From Barbarossa does stand out as being particularly terrible. Too bad Amis didn't continue writing after Col. Sun...

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:37 PM

All of Gardner's books were bad in one way or another, though The Man From Barbarossa does stand out as being particularly terrible. Too bad Amis didn't continue writing after Col. Sun...

I completely agree with you on TMFB, however I enjoy quite a few of the Gardner books. LR, FSS, IB, NLF, NSF, SF and several others are quite good, although there were little points in all of them here and there, he did some very good work!

#38 scotsman

scotsman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 11:37 PM

Gardner?.......I loved Licence Renewed,Icebreaker,The man From Barbarossa.

#39 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

I like some of Gardner's Bond novels, but the worst Bond novel would have to be Role of Honor, only because I've tried to read it three times, and each time, I couldn't make it through! I've read every Bond novel out there except FOD, SF, NLF, and TMFB, and ROH is the only one that I couldn't get through. I think Bond learning Computers was really boring.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:12 PM

I like some of Gardner's Bond novels, but the worst Bond novel would have to be Role of Honor, only because I've tried to read it three times, and each time, I couldn't make it through! I've read every Bond novel out there except FOD, SF, NLF, and TMFB, and ROH is the only one that I couldn't get through. I think Bond learning Computers was really boring.

I thought Role Of Honor was a strictly okay novel, my ranking of it always changes. This book is just a tad to dated for me, example, "micros". Jay Autem Holy is also not one of the most menacing Bond villains out there either. Still, it makes for a good read as part of the SPECTRE trilogy.

#41 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

Least favorite: Never Dream of Dying.