This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Brosnan may want Ang Lee, but I want John McTiernan!

16 replies to this topic

#1 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 05:44 AM

Is there another director with both the capability to handle the witty character/intrigue stuff AND handle the big action sequences better than John McTiernan? I don't think so.

The Thomas Crown Affair was brilliantly directed and seemed like a great audition to do a Bond film. After proving his action movie credentials with Die Hard many people had him pegged as a Bond director over 10 years ago. With Thomas Crown he showed just how deftly he can handle actors - particularly Pierce Brosnan - and more suble scenes that rely on wit rather than bombast. Bombast we knew he was great at already!!

With Apted dropping out this seems like the perfect time to bring McTiernan on board!

#2 Sarah

Sarah

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 09:35 AM

i want the sex scenes from the Thomas Crown affair ;p

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 09:50 AM

I agree with you on that one Sarah!! The Thomas Crown Affair had very erotic scenes in it, but they weren't crap, they were very sensual and well done! I'd love to see that in a Bond film at some stage.

And while on this point. I personally bleieve McTiernan is a brilliant director - who works excellently with Pierce! He did TC for MGM so who knows, he may end up directing Bond 20! Let's hope so, though I still wouldn't mind if Michael Apted returned. I felt his TWINE was quite good.

#4 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 04:46 PM

Apted did OK, but McTiernan is a much better action film director, and he has shown tremendous capabilities directing more subtle stuff as well. McTiernan's style fits Bond to a "T." Honestly, if they don't go with McTiernan, the only other director I'd love to see on the film would be John Glen. VERY underrated as a Bond director.

But MY first choice is McTiernan.

#5 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 06:20 PM

If the next one's gonna be the biggest we need a 'BIG' Director, someone like spielberg would be wrong in my opinion as would Lucas but Ridley Scott could make a fantastic job of it.

#6 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, Ronin was great - one of my favourite non-Bond DVD's (escpecially the excellent car chases)...

But he's knocking on a bit now... I mean, bus pass material.

Although I think he would make a good choice, I don;t think he's the one to provide the style re require of 4th Bonds (AKA Thunderball & Moonrake (god forbid))

J

#7 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 09:42 PM

It would seem my R and SPACEBAR are having poblems keeping up with this foum =)

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 01:49 AM

Personally I feel John Glen was a better editor than director. But yes in the end I agree, McTiernan would do it great!

Who directed Ronin? It owuld be great to have him just for the car chase scenes!!

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 04:28 AM

Well???? Come on peoples

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 11:37 AM

McTiernan is a good choice, although Ang Lee is okay. Lee would concentrate on character development much like Apted and the rest of the film crew handles the action anyway. In the end who directs isn't as important as what's in the script. The script decides the movie's style, ie. plot or character driven story.

McTiernan could handle both, if the script is good enough.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 11:52 PM

Jacques Nexus (09 Apr, 2001 12:37 p.m.):
McTiernan is a good choice, although Ang Lee is okay. Lee would concentrate on character development much like Apted and the rest of the film crew handles the action anyway. In the end who directs isn't as important as what's in the script. The script decides the movie's style, ie. plot or character driven story.

McTiernan could handle both, if the script is good enough.

I tend to disagree there. I think they're equally as important. Just say they gave us teh best script and you and I directed it. We wouldn't know the first thing about directing - and basically the film would be unbearable to watch!!

#12 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:45 PM

There are several directors who could handle Bond 20 and do a good job, but when you watch Die Hard and The Thomas Crown Affair it becomes obvious that John McTiernan would be PERFECT for the job.

I just hope that they actually consider him (and let him do the film his way, rather than putting restrictions on him).

And the director DOES have as much impact as the script - a good script given poor direction still makes for a weak movie!

A good script with John McTiernan directing makes for a GREAT movie!!

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 03:07 AM

I'm guessing B5Erik that you're a bit of a McTiernan fan ;p

#14 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 05:59 AM

Well, I'm a HUGE fan of Die Hard and The Thomas Crown Affair, and the direction in both was fantastic. I guess that makes me a McTiernan fan.

I'm not even aware of all the movies he's directed, just those two, Die Hard With A Vengeance, and Nomads (I think he did that one). I should check IMDB.

But seriously, his style would be perfect for Bond. He showed a talent for directing big action movies with his 2 Die Hard films, and he showed a little more wit and sophistication on Thomas Crown. I just get a really good feeling about him doing a Bond film - like with a good script it could be one of the 5 or 6 best Bond films. It's just a gut feeling I've got.

#15 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 06:14 AM

No wonder I like McTiernan, he also did Predator, The Hunt For Red October (another great Bond warm up - with Sean Connery!), and Medicine Man (again with Sean Connery!).

Quite a list.

Get me Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli on the phone! They've GOT to hire this guy! ;-)

#16 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 April 2001 - 11:56 AM

Hey you guys I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. When I said any director with a good script could do Bond 20 I actually meant any good director. There's plenty of them who do thrillers and even the ones you think aren't suitable for Bond could handle it excellently. Even Spottiswoode could have done much better with a better script for TND.

Also, look at Campbell. His GOLDENEYE lacked character and plot detail, yet watch his classic TV drama, EDGE OF DARKNESS and see he is a good director.

As I said the script is the key. Any competent director wants a good script but they don't always get them. They have to work with what they've got.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 07:27 AM

B5Erik (11 Apr, 2001 07:14 a.m.):
No wonder I like McTiernan, he also did Predator, The Hunt For Red October (another great Bond warm up - with Sean Connery!), and Medicine Man (again with Sean Connery!).

That is an amazing list!!! :) Wow, I never knew he did all those!!