6 replies to this topic

#1 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 04:00 AM

Anyone know more about this new book or the author? Google gave me the following:

The James Bond Phenomenon : A Critical Reader
by: Christoph Lindner

Sean Connery

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 09:52 PM

I haven't heard of this one but it might be quite an interesting read. I'm sure that some members here must have come across it before.

#3 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 03:08 PM

Yet another book cashing in on the back of others success's.

#4 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
Yet another book cashing in on the back of others success's.

So you think...what? That authors should simply drop Bond from the list of possible things to write about? That there is nothing fresh or new to say about the topic? That it should be off-limits?

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:59 AM

Well, nearly everything that could be written about Bond has been written about. I think that there are so many books out there that are the same. The only books that I get anymore are the likes of Bond On Set and specials like that.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:05 PM

There have been a flood of Bond-related film books, especially in the last year or so. There was a time when this was something to look forward to, but now you kind of have to be selective, although the biggest percentage of them are decent.

But it does seem like it would be hard to come up with anything fresh at all considering how much we already know.

#7 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:36 AM

Well, I disagree, but then, I'm an author. It seems to me that it's not "how much we already know," but how the material is approached. When you phrase it that way, all you're really talking about is books that are informative. Books can also be entertaining. They can be fun. They can be interesting. They can engage you by approaching old topics in new ways. It's not as if the only reason to read about Bond is to amass facts!