4 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:14 PM

Just a question to all who have seen or own the 14 Ian Fleming reprints by Penguin USA. (YES, I KNOW THAT THE LAST 2 ARE NOT OUT YET IN THE US, BUT THE TITLE ART IS AVAILABLE TO SEE.)
Which cover art is your favorite and why?

My personal choice is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The beautiful naked girl on a pale blue backround and skier gliding down her back. While this is tied in with the dressing of the wedding costume. Magnificent!

What's your choice?

#2 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:07 AM

All of Richie Fahey's covers are pretty creative and have a hint of 1950s nostalgia and reflect some plot element or theme from the book.

I particularly like the cover for You Only Live Twice with the flowers with skulls at their center symbolizing Shatterhand's garden of death. Is that Trembling Leaf the geisha? or is the helmet part of Shatterhand's armor.

I also like the cover for From Russia With Love with the Lektor decoder keys with Cyrillic letters, a brunette woman I presume to be Tatiana Romanova, and a passenger car from the Orient Express.

Live and Let Die is also an interesting cover with Solitaire, Mr. BIG, and gold coins from Bloody Morgan's treasure hoard.

I think that in the history of James Bond book covers, I think that Richie Fahey's will be considered some of the best, even rivaling the beloved covers done by Richard Chopping for the Jonathan Cape First Editions.

Its nice to see that the North America editions finally have decent cover art. After suffering from positively wretched art for a number of years.

For a history of James Bond paperback edition cover art check out the following link:

The Art of James Bond

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:10 AM

It's nice to see that this thread is getting soem talking, and I fully agree with Triton's suggestion of The Art of James Bond link, an excellent site!

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:42 AM

My favourite is definitely "You Only Live Twice".

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Triton

I think that in the history of James Bond book covers, I think that Richie Fahey's will be considered some of the best, even rivaling the beloved covers done by Richard Chopping for the Jonathan Cape First Editions.

I absolutely agree with you Triton.,....I love all of the covers!