3 replies to this topic

#1 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:20 PM

I've got a question to all the German Bond-fans.

In The Living Daylights short-story, James Bond, while killing time before the time for killing the Russian sniper, reads an s/m book titled Verderbt, Verdammt, Verraten about a countess Lisolette Mutzenbacher. I wonder if this book exists in reality? At amazon.de, I've found a book with the same title, by a Georg Reimann, but unfortunately there's no review, besides I don't speak German. Anybody can help me?

#2 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:25 PM

Oops, never heard of it. By the way, the grammar is totally wrong. Would have to be "Verdorben, verdammt, verraten" in correct German. Anyway it's not a famous book.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:07 PM

And what would that mean Tim? :)

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 03:50 PM

Ah, I knew that there was something I wanted to find out about the TLD novel. Tim seems to have forgotten to answer, so I'm jumping in here.

First of all: grammar is correct, Tim.

"Verderbt" is a an old-time word that isn't used very much these days. It means "debauched" or "depraved", whereas "verdorben" means "corrupt" or "spoiled" or "decomposed".

"Verdammt" means "cursed" or "doomed". It's also the German expression for "damned".

"Verraten" means "betrayed", but can also mean "whistle-blowing"

So the title of that book in English should be "Depraved, Doomed, Betrayed". The alternative title "Decomposed, Damned, Whistle-blowing" sounds funny but makes no sense :):P.

That Georg Reimann book you found is apparently a book about youth and young people from the 1950's, so this is definitely not the same book. It seems to be more something like a moralizing and preachy treatise.

About the author, Lieselotte Mutzenbacher ("Lisolette" must be a typo, that name doesn't exist): This is definitely a joke, she doesn't exist. But there is a famous book by a certain Josefine Mutzenbacher, called "My 365 Lovers" from about 1900, describing the adventures of a whore in Vienna at that time (kind of an Austrian "Fanny Hill").

Josefine M. never existed, the book was published anonymously (and banned very soon, until the 1960's). In fact, it was written by a Felix Salten, a man who is known to the world as the original author of Disney's "Bambi".