43 replies to this topic

#1 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 10:13 PM

I don't know if any of you have heard, but Maryam D'Abo and John Cork have authored a book about the James Bond girls. It's supposed to be released in both the UK and US on November 1, 2003.

SpyGuise has it listed for $40.00 - [url="http://"http://www.spyguise.com/cgi-bin/SpyGuise.storefront/1601152699/Product/View/0713/"]SpyGuise[/url]

Amazon.com has it listed for 28.00 with free shipping - [url="http://"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0810943026/007forevercom-20/103-2661620-2971016?creative=125581&camp=2321&link_code=as1"]Amazon.com[/url]

Amazon.co.uk has it listed for

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 01:03 AM

Sweet. This is a must have.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 September 2003 - 01:10 AM

Could this be the literary version of the TV special Maryam hosted a short while back?

It would be excellent if a few behind the scenes photos are included, as well as a few of the ladies that were considered for various roles.

Posted Image

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 September 2003 - 01:13 AM

Having another look at the cover, isn't Ursula Andress as the representative face of "the Bond girl" starting to get a little cliche nowadays?

#5 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:47 AM

I'm looking forward to th book and more by John Cork even though I don't know how much information will be new to me. I hope it makes a nice addition to the Bond library.

#6 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
Having another look at the cover, isn't Ursula Andress as the representative face of "the Bond girl" starting to get a little cliche nowadays?

Oh yes very much so, IMHO. Yeah I'm sure she blew everybody away in 1962, but frankly I think there have been better examples of a 'Bond Girl' in the last four decades. Ursula Andress was sort of the prototype of the Bond girl. Mind you I have nothing against Ursula Andress. :cool:

This book sounds really cool, and the documentary was pretty good. It was nice to see where the Bond girls are today. I would buy this book without a doubt IF, however, I had any money. :)

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:59 AM

Looks like another must-have! Should be a great companion to The Legacy.

Has Cork written any other Bond-related books?

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 03:04 AM

I think I want to see it on the shelves first. I will probably get it through Amazon...but I want to make sure that it's worth the money.

I really do prefer Tim Greaves' book though, The Bond Women: 007 Style.

-- Xenobia

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:28 AM

as long as it has a good repersentation of denise in it i cant be unhappy, but it better have her in it or i will leave it in the store

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:37 AM

I hope they don't hold back on the Maryam D'Abo content just because she's one of the authors.

I want to see that cello and the persian with the patch over it's eye again.
:)

PS: I live in hope, but I doubt these particular images will be shown.

#11 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:01 AM

[dark- Has Cork written any other Bond-related books?]

I believe John Cork wrote articles for the IanFleming foundation magazine called 'GoldenEye' before he worked on the Special Edition DVD's and the Legacy book. I believe he also worked on the Ultimate Bond Dossier on CD-ROM. I heard a good interview with him but I really should listen to it again as it is like 45 minutes long. Check out the back of the Legacy book for a note about the authors.

#12 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:20 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
as long as it has a good repersentation of denise in it i cant be unhappy, but it better have her in it or i will leave it in the store

Hell, yeah. I get sick of these posts bashing Denise Richards, even though that is everyone's right. She is just too easy of a target, and come on, she did what she could with that role. It's not her fault that EON cut down on the role, and made Bond less dependent on her (like he depended on Natalya).

Dr. Christmas Jones and Denise Richards were both awesome, and I hope this book gives them both good coverage. There was another book on James Bond that said "while Denise Richards is too young to credibly play a nuclear scientist, her performance was actually not as bad as it could have been." or something like that.

See, it's not just fanboys that like her. Critics, too.

#13 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:06 AM

Yeuch!

Not very keen on the U.K. art at all.

Posted Image

I'm surprised that they'd use an unofficial film image on the cover.

Hopefully I'll be able to track down a U.S. copy here.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:32 AM

Maryam D'Abo was on Radio 2 (UK) on Friday.

She talked about the role, the Bond theme was played, nothing new and she wasn't guesting for very long.....but she is the classiest girl to have graced the series. Nice to hear her.

But haven't seen the book around Reading yet.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:35 AM

........And just checked out the two covers, UK and US. The only difference is (according to Amazon) that the US cover is a closer up shot, cutting Andress at the forehead.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

I like the cover art, but then I think that Andress is the sexiest girl of the Connery 007 movies!

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 03:11 PM

I have a copy and so far I really love what I see. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the pics are amazing -- most I've never seen. I was surprised to see how huge the book is -- same size as The Bond Legacy. They make a great set. When I red it I'll write up a proper review, but based on the pics and layout alone, I'd say this is a must buy.

#18 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 03:19 PM

Originally posted by zencat
..............I'd say this is a must buy.

Coming from a self confessed book lover, you surprise me.:)

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 03:24 PM

Cool.....thanks for the recommendation zencat.... :)

#20 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:53 PM

Just got my copy of the book today. I'm curious as to why they made it the same size as "Legacy" since one of the major gripes about "Legacy" was it's massive size. I'm also not impressed with the pictures they used. There were maybe 10 pictures I hadn't seen before, although I love the FYEO poster-ish picture of George Lazenby on the beach. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting great stills anymore since that is primarily what I collect and my collection alone is at around 1500 stills.

I have yet to read the text of the book, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe my opinion will change once I read it.

#21 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:57 PM

Is the companion piece to the documentary that aired on AMC last year around the release of Die Another Day? It also follows Mariam D'Abo around as she interviews some Bond girls and talks with them about what it all means. It was also a giveaway at Best Buy for the release of DAD DVD.

#22 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:46 PM

I hope that in the interest of completeness, the book also contains information about actresses Monica van der Zyl and Barbara Jefford. Ms. van der Zyl was the voice of Honey Rider (Ursala Andress) in "Dr. No", Domino Derval (Claudine Auger) in "Thunderball", and some other female characters in the early James Bond films. Ms. Jefford was the voice of Tatiana Romanova (Daniela Bianchi) in "From Russia, with Love", Patricia Fearing (Mollie Peters) in "Thunderball", and Naomi (Caroline Munro) in "The Spy Who Loved Me".

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:55 PM

Why did they need to dub Molly Peters I wonder??!!

#24 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 12:01 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Why did they need to dub Molly Peters I wonder??!!

Perhaps they didn't like the sound of Molly Peter's own voice.

I don't know if you also noticed that they dubbed the voice of the "Won't you join me" woman in The Living Daylights. Her voice is far deeper and huskier sounding in The Living Daylights teaser trailer. They probably changed her voice in attempt to make her sound more sultry. But she just sounds like an airheaded bimbo to me with her dubbed voice.

I don't know if the early Bond women would have become such sex symbols in the English speaking world if the film makers had used their real voices. Can you imagine the beach scene in Dr. No if we had heard Ursula Andress ask in her German-Swiss accented voice "Are you looking for shells?" Monica van der Zyl's sultry voice adds to the fantasy of the early Bond women and makes them much more memorable.

#25 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:32 PM

I concur with mccartney007.

The picture selection is disappointing at best.

I know John Cork would have done a better job - but according to the MI6 interview - Barbara Broccoli and Maryam selected most of the shots.

I guess they don't realize most of the pics in the book have been seen before.

I'll buy it of course, but again - I was hoping for rare stills.

#26 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

It's definitely a point, but which other girl is as famous for James Bond girl imagery as Ursula? To us, we will recognise all the girls; to the average punter (and Xmas is around the corner), I am guessing that the rest would have less than half the cover value of Andress.

Let's say you are writing your first book, it's about Bond girls and Boxtree say the cover has to have a solitary picture as opposed to a montage. Who would you put on the front, considering sales and marketability of the book.

It's like the guy who goes into the Ferrari salesroom promising himself he will not buy a classic red Ferrari, opting instead for something different - but at the end of the day, no other colour will do.

#27 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:45 PM

I flipped thru it at B&N recently. Not worth the money. I like my Bond Legacy book. Nice to read, handy to use against intruders.

#28 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

I wonder if there are any rare stills left. And shouldn't Andress have been shown in the famous bikini from DN? I guess it does say Bond girls and 007 on the cover, but a lot of people could miss that this is from a Bond film.

While Andress may be considered the Bond girl prototype, I think the golden girl image gets nearly as much mileage.

#29 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Turn
I wonder if there are any rare stills left.

Believe me, there are thousands of rare stills out there. I have a ton that have never been seen before. Maybe I should start a photo exhibition? :)

While Andress may be considered the Bond girl prototype, I think the golden girl image gets nearly as much mileage.

Very good point, Turn.

#30 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:20 AM

Dude...I've seen your passion for pictures and stills. You absolutely should start an exhibition!

-- Xenobia