AVTAK Disclaimer

21 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 October 2001 - 01:58 PM

I was wondering why there was the necessity for a disclaimer at the beginning of this particular movie, as none of the others had anything similar to disclaim (other than the Red Cross).
Who, in real life at the time, could have been misconstrued as being depicted by Max Zorin, or his company, or any other character that appeared?

#2 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 06:30 PM

The reason for the disclaimer is that Michael G. Wilson remembered that their was a hi-tech company in silicon valley with a very similar name. There was also a fashion designer around at the time called 'zoran'.

#3 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2002 - 07:31 AM

Well, if you look at it philosophically, the film makers of AVTAK were exposing the evils behind the corporate world, and if you destroy one bad business empire, there are 10 more waiting to take its place...

...but I don't think they were being philosophical. The scene was just an excuse to explain Zorin's plan, and show how determined he was by killing the one executive. They get away with it b/c they weren't paid to have lines or names.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 October 2001 - 07:37 AM

White Persian, I wonder if there are any Mr. Goldmembers in the book. :)

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Mr Moon.
I suppose any movie that has a fictitious organisation has to be mindful that there may actually be a real company somewhere in the world with a similar, if not the same, name.

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 09:35 AM

If there are, Austin Powers had bet have his lawyer handy
...or randy
...oh behave!

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 08:42 AM

When one is woken up at three in the morning by a child probably faking a cough to get off school, one's mind turns to the great mysteries of life: what is love? do you believe in life after love? hit me baby one more time. do you know the way to San Jose? and...

that scene in the airship in AVTAK when Zorin is flinging microchips about like they were confetti or arts degrees and May Day flings the wily oriental tailor's dummy out the bottom of said dirigible...

Zorin has just asked the remaining folks for (I seem to recall) $100 million dollars and half their net income (tip top dialogue here) and are we actually meant to assume that he then goes on and explains the remainder of the plan to them. He's already revealed the name, Project Main Strike...

So aren't they also to blame, these folks, for backing Zorin in the first place? Where's their comeuppance? Why don't they get flung orf bridges? Or is it a cleverly disguised satire on faceless corporate killings?

Basically, they get away with it. I am outraged.

In this mood of outrage, i am going to write my son's excuse letter to the school and claim he's got plague or ebola virus or something fun like that.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 October 2001 - 05:55 AM

I remember reading that the only Mr Goldfinger in the U.K. phone book had a rough time with prank calls in 1964.
These days he'd probably sue!

#9 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 09:35 AM

If there are, Austin Powers had better have his lawyer handy
...or randy
...oh behave!

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 09:04 PM

This is a woman who has just torn up a $5 million cheque.

This is a woman who seems to think that living in a tent would be preferable to living in a damn great mansion.

This is a woman who doesn't seem to find anything odd in Grace Jones' pronounciation of the word "heeelicopter".

This is a cretin.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 08:18 AM

Adam (20 Jan, 2002 07:31 a.m.):
Well, if you look at it philosophically, the film makers of AVTAK were exposing the evils behind the corporate world, and if you destroy one bad business empire, there are 10 more waiting to take its place...

I'd quite like it to have this depth. AVTAK has many, many problems and I'd think better of it if there was this subtlety to it. Otherwise, it's shrieky shrieky James, Stacey look out there's a damn great airship behind you daftness.

#12 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 08:27 PM

Jim (22 Jan, 2002 08:18 a.m.):

Adam (20 Jan, 2002 07:31 a.m.):

I'd quite like it to have this depth. AVTAK has many, many problems and I'd think better of it if there was this subtlety to it. Otherwise, it's shrieky shrieky James, Stacey look out there's a damn great airship behind you daftness.

Honestly---how the hell does she not notice a huge blimp "sneaking" up behind her? Every time I see that I have to wonder--why did no one think of that? The director, the actors, the editors, writers...anybody there??

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 05:06 AM

...or the scene was an excuse to rerun the Goldfinger briefing the gangsters sequence from, well, Goldfinger.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:00 PM

Originally posted by White Persian
I remember reading that the only Mr Goldfinger in the U.K. phone book had a rough time with prank calls in 1964.
These days he'd probably sue!

The name Goldfinger actually exists?

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:03 PM

Originally posted by White Persian
...or the scene was an excuse to rerun the Goldfinger briefing the gangsters sequence from, well, Goldfinger.

The scene was an improvement on the "Goldfinger" one because in GF the villain had no reason to tell the hoods his plan ( in fact he kills them right afterwards).

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:05 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

The name Goldfinger actually exists?

Actually if my last name was Goldfinger I would probably change it. Think of the teasing that it would lead to.

#17 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:09 PM

Fleming took the name Goldfinger from the architect Erno Goldfinger (1902 - 1987).

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Lancaster
Fleming took the name Goldfinger from the architect Erno Goldfinger (1902 - 1987).

I always wondered where Fleming came up with some of his names. I heard at one time that he would look through the phone book whenever he was visiting a new city to see if there were any unusual or memorable names in it.

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Lancaster

Interesting. Never heard that before.

#20 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:50 PM

Yeah I always wonder about that disclaimer.. I thought it had to be some company suing them..

it is funny that this doesn't happen more.:)

#21 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:33 AM

Bit more info. Took this from bio of Goldfinger.

Architect Erno Goldfinger is probably best known for designing the Trellick Tower residential skyscraper in North Kensington. Somewhat controversially, that monolithic building is now Grade ll listed.But Goldfinger is also represented in Hampstead in the terrace of modern houses at 1-3 Willow Road which are now owned by the National Trust.

Some existing cottages had to be demolished so that Goldfinger could accomplish his vision and there was much opposition to this at the time from conservative Hampstead residents.

One of the leading voices raised against Goldfinger was that of Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond books. Goldfinger eventually got his way, but Fleming was so embittered by the building of the modernist homes that he took the architect's name for the principal villain in his book 'Goldfinger'.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:14 AM

That is too funny......and very interesting.