24 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 April 2001 - 04:28 PM

If you haven't already read it on the main page, scoot over there and read the quotes straight from the Irishman's mouth. Brosnan saw CT,HD, and told Ang Lee he'd love for him to direct, and Ang Lee said he'd love to direct one (and seemed sincere). I think he'd be a great choice, since it's clear he can handle both action and drama at the same time. CT,HD seems like the kind of film Brosnan wants to make the Bonds into (in a manner of speaking, as far as the action and drama, and maybe the epic sweep of it, too).

So, what does everyone think about this? Do you think Ang Lee would be a good choice? Do you think the film would be different if Lee helmed it? Do you think the producers would actually get him (I hear they're real control freaks, but I'm not at liberty to say where from).

Dave

#2 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 04:27 PM

Blue Eyes (03 Apr, 2001 06:10 a.m.):
Sorry about the cub/cube thing, I just thought the whole term didn't in :)

Never mind - I like what you say above. Though personally I did like the Elektra / Bond scenes :)

I'll tell you what I didn't like about those scenes: cliched lines degenerating into third-rate soap opera. Take lines like "After my kidnapping I was afraid. I was afraid to be alone, I was afraid to be outside, I was afraid to be in a crowd, until I realized I can't hide in the shadows. I can't let fear run my life... and I won't." The "I can't let fear run my life" line is an overwhelming cliche, and the lines preceding it are a little ham-handed. Much worse is the "How dare you! (SLAP!) How dare you! That animal?! That monster?! He disgusts me! YOU disgust me!" This is pure soap opera, overdone. It's too much, and had it been more restrained it would've been much more effective. Here, it's almost unintentionally funny.

On another note, when she picks him apart with "You used me as bait... and you made love to me." That is effective, particularly the last part, insinuating that not only did he use her to catch a villain, but he used her for himself as well. The line that follows (after a slight pause) "What? To pass the time while you waited for him to strike?" isn't necessary. Furthermore, it softens the impact of the previous line, which would be much more effective by itself. THEN the long silence, THEN the phone rings and they're interrupted. I know, I've thought about this too long and hard, I'm sure. Basically I think the writers didn't know where to underplay, where to pull it back and be subtle, in these "dramatic" scenes. The good outweighs the bad, though, IMHO: the departure of 'Q' (written by Feirstein, who was extremely dissatisfied with the film but very proud of this scene), the death of Zukovsky (with his last ounce of strength, rather than take his own vengeance, he frees Bond, who he knows will then kill Elektra and save Istanbul), the scene with Renard and M, the Maiden's Tower scenes (particularly the garotting scene and the death of Elektra). For me, the film works more often than it doesn't, and on levels we haven't seen since OHMSS. Problems are overdoing it, stale, overused plotline (Goldfinger-derivative where an outsider tries to wipe out a competitor's resource- in this case pipelines- in order to corner the market; Goldfinger tried it with gold, Zorin with microchips, Elektra King with oil). Oh, and barring the opening sequence, it's quite low on thrills. This is all just my opinion, feel free to disagree (but maturely, mind you). This is about as short a review as I'm capable of writing.

Dave

#3 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 07:07 AM

Well, most of you know who I want as the director.

Honestly, is there another director whose style seems so perfectly matched to James Bond as John McTiernan does?

Check out his credits: Predator, Die Hard, Hunt For Red October, Thomas Crown Affair - and that's just a few of them. Can you beat those films as test runs for a Bond film?

I don't think so....

#4 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 05:36 AM

Brosnan may want Ang Lee, but I want John McTiernan. Watch The Thomas Crown Affair and then watch Die Hard. Talk about the PERFECT director for a Bond film!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 05:10 AM

Sorry about the cub/cube thing, I just thought the whole term didn't in :)

Never mind - I like what you say above. Though personally I did like the Elektra / Bond scenes :)

#6 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 10:00 AM

Blue Eyes (11 Jun, 2001 05:17 a.m.):
John Landis was just added to the rumour mill. For those of you who don't know Landis he's directed films such as The Blues Brothers and it's sequel, Beverly Hills Cop III and Three Amigos. As for whether or not he'll direct a Bond film I can't really say.

I'm still tipping another director though :)

I agree Blue Eyes. I can't imagine Landis directing Bond. It doesn't feel right to me.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:58 AM

Well I have a source who tells me he was originally lined up to film LTK and a few other Bond films!! I still want someone else.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 02:09 AM

Martin Campbell said a few months ago in an interview that he doesn't really have an interest in returning to Bond. I wonder if that's after EON didn't rehire him for TND or not? It would be interesting to find out!!

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 05:28 AM

That's another possibility White Persian. Though I seem to remember it was changed by Feirstein which was the third draft, before they started filming.

#10 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 10:52 PM

I think that Paul Verhoeven is one of the best directors around but the problem with having him as a director would be that he usually does violent Sci-fi movies, but I don't see any reason with violence in Bond because LTK was violent and that is one of my favourite Bond movies, so I would still like to see him direct a Bond movie.

#11 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:37 PM

John McTiernan would be a good choice, you do just need to look at Die Hard & Predator which are two of the best movies ever. I still think Paul Verhoeven (Robocop, Hollowman, Starship Troopers and Total Recall) would be a good director. Another good choice would be Brian de Palma who directed Mission Impossible, Snake Eyes, The Untouchables and Mission to Mars.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 05:41 PM

I think Landis is a TERRIBLE idea. Please let it not be true.

#13 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 12:32 AM

And by the way, it's cub, not cube. That wasn't an accident. I just liked the sound of it like that, kind of parody-like.

Dave

#14 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 12:31 AM

[quote]Blue Eyes (03 Apr, 2001 12:14 a.m.):
you know what Rubix Cube! I think you actually want to become a staff member around here, that's what I think :) Your post sounds like a professional post by me or Dave Winter or something!

Why thank you. I don't know, it sounds like an awful lot of work, but enjoyable. Is that an offer? If so, I'll give it some thought.

What if Wilson and Broccoli DID relinquish final cut to Ang Lee? After all, no Bond director to date has been nominated for the Best Director Oscar or won the Directors Guild of America award. He has pretty heady credentials which set him apart from the rest (also, he'd be the first one who wasn't British, I think). But Lee would definitely do well, I think, and if Brosnan has enough pull on the producers (it seems to me that they don't want to replace him anytime soon) they may relent and give Lee the final cut- after all, people can change! I don't know if Wilson & Broccoli and recognize their own shortcomings (certain atrocities in the TWINE screenplay- scenes between Bond and Elektra degenerating into a third-rate soap opera- should've been edited, and no doubt Ang Lee wouldn't allow scenes to get that bad in the first place). Hopefully they can realize that a good director's judgment may top their own and will consider Lee, demands and all.

Dave

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 April 2001 - 11:14 PM

you know what Rubix Cube! I think you actually want to become a staff member around here, that's what I think :) Your post sounds like a professional post by me or Dave Winter or something!

That aside! To be honest I can't say I've seen an Ang Lee film. If EON did consider him (personally I don't think they will) then he would have to lose his policy of him having the final edit. No directory has ever had that say on a Bond film and I can't see it happening any time soon.

But then again, he was an Oscar Nominee, he could do something really good for the series!!

#16 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 11:00 PM

I wonder if Pierce himself has ever contemplated directing bond 20. Many actors who feel strongly about their films take the helm. Pierce obviously wants more depth to his charachter and the films and so would this not be an idea worth thinking about. After all if you let the star direct himself we'll truly see how pierces bond would be.

#17 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 08:44 AM

Blue Eyes (05 Apr, 2001 10:44 a.m.):
I love Bond's line "I thought Christmas only cums once a year" :) But you know what - the original script had a much better line. Here's something how it goes (off the top of my head!!):

Basically as Christmas 'mounted' (if you don't know what that means you're either too young or just aloof) Bond she said "You know James, I think Christmas is coming early this year".

Don't know how I missed this post earlier, but the original line is *much* better than the sub "Carry On" line in the final cut. I wonder who changed it and why.

#18 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 August 2001 - 06:40 PM

I wil Martin Cambell return (he direct Goldeneye also) as direct the Bondmovie's 2O and 21

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 09:38 AM

I don't know who changed it White Persian. But my theory as to why is because it would be better to give Bond such a line (in their minds) that just a general character. Remember, Bond has all the whit!

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 04:07 PM

Blue Eyes (18 Jul, 2001 10:38 a.m.):
I don't know who changed it White Persian. But my theory as to why is because it would be better to give Bond such a line (in their minds) that just a general character. Remember, Bond has all the whit!

Yep, I think you nailed it Blue Eyes.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 10:22 PM

Lord help us, read the main page about the latest consideration for Director. Please be false!

#22 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 09:38 PM

Blue Eyes (18 Jul, 2001 10:38 a.m.):
I don't know who changed it White Persian. But my theory as to why is because it would be better to give Bond such a line (in their minds) that just a general character. Remember, Bond has all the wit!

Probably right, and maybe Denise Richards's reading of the original line may have been too lame to end the movie with. Most of her other acting was...well let's say it let the script down.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 11:17 AM

Check out some of the other director threads B5Erik, you'll have some stuff to say :)

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 04:17 AM

John Landis was just added to the rumour mill. For those of you who don't know Landis he's directed films such as The Blues Brothers and it's sequel, Beverly Hills Cop III and Three Amigos. As for whether or not he'll direct a Bond film I can't really say.

I'm still tipping another director though :)

#25 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 09:44 AM

Looking at what you've been saying you're starting to actually change my opinion. I guess some of the scenes with Elektra do seem a bit "Young & The Restless"-esque. But I feel that Sophie Marceau put in a brilliant peformance in the film, which easily makes up for it. And yes I have to agree with the comment about the phone ringing - I practically roled my eyes when this happened. It's like they couldn't think of anything else to happen at this stage. I was very dissatisfied with that point of the film.

Furthermore, I agree about the Q scene. Feirstein is a brilliant writer - his work on Tomorrow Never Dies was fantastic. I love his work to bits!

But when it comes to low on thrills I have to disagree. I had the script for TWINE about 5 months before it was released and read it heaps of times. And when I saw it the first three times (I saw it 5 times at the cinemas and countless times since on DVD) I still loved it. It's full of great things I think - especially performances. Plus I love Bond's line "I thought Christmas only cums once a year" :) But you know what - the original script had a much better line. Here's something how it goes (off the top of my head!!):

Basically as Christmas 'mounted' (if you don't know what that means you're either too young or just aloof) Bond she said "You know James, I think Christmas is coming early this year".

Now that was a line :)

anyway we've got sidetracked from Director news. But how's this: I have some biggish news about the director of Bond 20. I spoke to EON about it. But that's all coming soon isn't it ;)