This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Cuffs--the missing links (in FRWL adn DAF)

12 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:07 AM

James Bond seems to be sporting a different style of shirt cuffs in some scenes of FRWL and DAF. (They may be in other films, but I've noticed them in only these two.)

The cuffs at first seem to be unlinked French (double) cuffs, but they hug Connery's wrists as if the inner two buttonholes were linked one on top of the other, leaving the folded overpart of the cuffs more free.
I hope that's understandable, but I'll just tell you where I saw this mystery shirt so you can take a look yourself: they appear when Bond is in St Sophia's cathedral and when he is aboard Blofeld's oil rig (it is a blue shirt in both cases).

Anyway, I'd be grateful if some sartorial master could answer my question. Thanks.

#2 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:17 AM

"Well, provided the collars and cuffs match..." :)

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:33 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
Anyway, I'd be grateful if some sartorial master could answer my question.

Which is?.... :)

#4 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 09:43 PM

I noticed that too. Perhaps Bond chooses his cufflinks based on his mood, sort of like George Costanza.

#5 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:03 PM

James Bond and George Costanza mentioned in the same sentence. Sheesh, now I've seen everything.

#6 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 10:40 PM

...the cuffs were designed specifically for Bond by Mr. Fish of Turnbull & Asser.

#7 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Blox
...the cuffs were designed specifically for Bond by Mr. Fish of Turnbull & Asser.

Blox,from what publication did you find this esoteric piece of information? Was it from Dressed to Kill: James Bond the Suited Hero by Jay McInerney? Any other interesting information you can provide us concerning Bond's wardrobe?

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:31 AM

I don't believe they were epescially designed at all. I own a shirt with a similair cuff. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but I'll give it some thought.

#9 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:37 AM

Mr. Fish is well known by bespoke shirtmakers in London, and was the man who designed the cuff at Young's behest. Quoting from "Turnbull & Asser Ltd.," a book given me by a T&A tailor in London.

"James Bond wore Turnbull & Asser shirts because the film's director, Terence Young...had his shirts made there. The shirts must have made a considerable impression on the young Connery: even three and a half decades later he recalled with much fondness the stylishness with which Young imbued the Bond of the early films."..."As Nick Sullivan records in the definitive book of Bond's style, Dressed to Kill, `For shirts and ties, Connery was taken to Terence Young's own bespoke shirtmaker, Turnbull & Asser in Jermyn Street, and a signature shirt was assigned to James Bond, a vintage piece of Sixties-style design which appears extensively in the early films. 007's shirts had double cuffs, which were fastened underneath not with cuff links but with two pearl buttons; the cuff itself spreading away from the wrist like a shirt collar.' "This particular cuff design is shown to great advantage in numerous screen vignettes....it was the perfect shirtcuff...it still wears well today...One of its leading champions is Johnny Gold, restauranteur and proprietor of another Jermyn Street landmark, the world famous Tramp nightclub. The longevity of this cuff design testifies to the enduring maxim that quality never goes out of style. ...Pierce Brosnan...still goes to 71-72 Jermyn Street for his shirts."

Connery's suits were made by Terence Young's tailor in Saville Row, Tony Sinclair. He cut the breast of the jackets more fully to conceal the bulkiness of the Walther, and gave the jackets more of an athletic cut. Some of the shoes were made by John Lobb, others by Foster & Son on Jermyn Street.

Hope this helps.

Blox

#10 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 05:41 AM

Many thanks Blox.

#11 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:59 PM

Pleasure to oblige...

Blox

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for the answer to my (unstated) question, Blox. (Which was: 'what are those cuffs Sean Connery wears?')

I saw them in an Esquire article (March 2003, I believe) about 'The Dress Shirt'. They were called 'the two-button turnback'. So apparently this type of cuff has caught on with more than just the bespoke shirtmakers. I like them a lot, even more than the usually bulky French cuffs that stick inside coat sleeves.

#13 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:17 AM

Its nice to hear that after 41 years, the off the peg shirts are catching up with made to measure...