A Life In The Day Of A Spy - Discussion

19 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:05 AM

About a year ago (?) I posted my very first ever fanfic of any subject matter in the CBn forums, but unfortunately, due to a temporal disturbance in the web force it got obliterated from the 'Net (along with many other more useful threads I might add), and strangely enough, it disapeared from my computer as well. So, no record now of it ever existing. It only took me 40 years to write it. :)

It was short story fanfic titled, funnily enough, A Life in the Day of a Spy and a few kind people (obviously escapees from the nut farm) decided to take favourably to the two page scrawl.

This spurred me on to scribble out another short story fanfic (in much shorter time than the first), and while it's called ALITDOAS 2, it is not a sequel but a self-contained, stand-alone "episode" in the life of Bond. My plan is to write enough of these to form a collection of days in Bond's life. A week of days would be nice (that's 7 days to all you religious folk).

So, those fortunate enough to dodge the bullet of not having to read the first one should've zagged instead of zigged 'cos you'll get hit by this second effort shortly.

Why only a short story fanfic? I tend to lose interest in anything I start pretty fast so if it's not only about 2 - 4 pages long it'll never get finished.

Having said that though, I'm currently stressing over #3, but #2 will be released on the CBn forum book stands, commonly called Fan Fiction Posting Forum this Friday the 8th of August.

Should anyone be remotely interested that is.....

PS: Of course, this intro is bigger than the actual fanfic, so if you had the stomach to get this far, you should be able to survive the story reasonably intact of all your faculties.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:15 AM

Interesting - shame to have missed the first one.

Are they linked thematically in a sort of black magic mumbo jumbo creationist 7-day thing; or stand alone? If the former, looking forward greatly to the "creating woman" one.

Looking forward greatly anyway.

Spot on about a few threads disappearing; I was looking for "Cold War" the other day (probably because I'm going to lift an idea from that for something else) and it seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth. For the poor sods who read it, they may well feel that's a good thing.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:55 AM

Now I really, really do not want to take this thread off course, so clever technical folk please feel free to shove this elsewhere, but you'll be delighted/disgusted to know that I've now found "Cold War" and whilst I was looking through it for what I wanted, I came across the line:-

"It would appear that Zao has seen The Matrix".

Not wishing to claim Nostradamus-esque foresight, but I wrote that 11 months before Die Another Day was released, and about one month before they started making it. I'm not sure why - perhaps it was out of a depressed sense of the inevitable/the lack of ambition I feared.

As said, by all means move this - or delete it.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Jim
As said, by all means move this - or delete it.

Over someone else's dead body it'll be moved or removed.

Your "Cold War" was kind of fun Jim, and if I remember correctly it involved Bond in some parts of it too.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Jim
Are they linked thematically in a sort of black magic mumbo jumbo creationist 7-day thing; or stand alone? If the former, looking forward greatly to the "creating woman" one.

No women in this one and I'm not all that religious at all, but there's references scattered throughout strangely enough.

I suppose when one starts with a title of "Resurrection," religious connotions enevitably rises out of the subconscious ooze.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:16 AM

[list=square]
[*]

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:52 AM

LOL! Brett, this is totally awesome, I just wish I was going to be home to read it. Hopefully the ship at port will have internet access, so I will drag the CBN four down to read it.

Sorry Cold War was lost...it sounds like a thread I should have paid attention to.

-- Xenobia

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia

Sorry Cold War was lost...it sounds like a thread I should have paid attention to.

-- Xenobia

Search, keyword "Cold", search titles only - it's still there, even though I thought it had long, long gone.

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:58 AM

Hey Brett, how about...

"Fun for the Whole family"
Mr. and Mrs. Whole

Okay, now that was bad.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:49 AM

Thanks Freemo. :)

And on that note please feel free to read my drivel here.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:22 AM

Emm....can we have a warning about language/profanity Brett???

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:32 AM

Gee, I've never seen such a warning in a Bond book, or any other novel for that matter.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:38 AM

Well there are kiddies on these boards.... :)

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:47 AM

Who have never read a novel yet?

#15 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:58 PM

Dear Mr Pussy

Your response to my fifteen minutes of random word association spurred me on to read your story.

Use of Bond films as context: Nifty

Background use of book elements: Very clever

Pidgeon analolgy: Knew where you were coming from, but slightly corny at the end

Bond stuck in "the hole" filing: Priceless.

I await the next one...

#16 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:24 PM

Very nice, Mr. Cat. :) Are we going to have other stories written on your behalf based on the films' context? I'd like to hear a story similar to this based on TND or TWINE. (Delete that bit I wrote about the movies if you consider it a spoiler.) I've also written a still-untitled short fanfiction, but I think it's mostly just a load of crock compared to some of the stories here on CBn, including yours. Still, if anyone actually has the boredom and time to plod through mine, PM me and I'll send it to you. Aplogies for using this thread which is rightfully yours to shamelessly plug my tripe, B.C. Again, well done. :) Oh, and if you need an MI6 agent in your next story, feel free to use my name and number. (Sorry for that plug as well.)

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
Dear Mr Pussy

Your response to my fifteen minutes of random word association spurred me on to read your story.

I assure you that I didn't do it just to solicit a response from you about my little thing, which is greatly appreciated, by the way. :)

Pidgeon analolgy: Knew where you were coming from, but slightly corny at the end.

Arn't most of the movie endings just that little bit corny? But I agree with you. :)

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Very nice, Mr. Cat. :) Are we going to have other stories written on your behalf based on the films' context?

Thanks OO0. My first fanfic was more literary Bond whereas this one is firmly rooted in the movies. I can't say that I'll specifically relate to any movie, I write what pops into my head.

I've also written a still-untitled short fanfiction, but I think it's mostly just a load of crock compared to some of the stories here on CBn, including yours. Still, if anyone actually has the boredom and time to plod through mine, PM me and I'll send it to you.

None of us claim to be master storytellers so please do post your fanfic for all to read, but only if you're happy to do so. I don't want to pressure you into it OO0. :)

#19 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:03 PM

YES YES YES BEAN BOY - PUT THE GUN DOWN AND WRITE MORE FAN FICTION!

Do you know how much a book costs these days. In Osssie-land a PAPERBACK can set you back $18.00 Australian, about seven pounds or nine American (sorry guys, I am not up on the Euros).

Now, considering it takes me about two to three hours to read your typical standard mass market paperback (like your benson or your fleming) I have worked out heroin would probably be a cheaper fix for me (and less cumbersone when I want to move).

So - double ohh: Post or else, in fact everyone drop what you are doing and join the mission to keep me supplied with interesting things to read (and that definately rules out sending me any of the Gardener books).

and Mr Brett, where can I find your first fic?

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
and Mr Brett, where can I find your first fic?

The very first prargraph in this thread describes the demise of any copy in existence, I'm afraid Niles. :)