The Union books

7 replies to this topic

#1 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:26 AM

This has been discussed before, but I'm interested in what most Bond fans think about the novels dealing with the Union.

I often see Never Dream Of Dying listed as the 'favorite' Benson book on many website reviews and such. To me, NDOD is the most disappointing of Benson's books. It gets off to such a great start too, with Bond coming off a mission that he really failed, but from there it loses direction somewhat. I HATE the scene somewhere in the middle of the book where Bond is in the French television studio. The bit with him and the dogs is absolutely ridiculous... a piece of comedy that belongs in one of Roger Moore's films. (Not that I have a beef with Moore's portrayal of Bond, but this is not the FILM Bond I'm talking about here.)

High Time To Kill is an interesting read to say the least. It's certainly filled with plenty of tension. And Benson does an exellent job of keeping the Union in the background, much like the film Dr. No kept SPECTRE way in the background. You really feel that if Bond has this much trouble against just a few henchmen then he's REALLY going to have his hands full later. There's also a great subplot involving Helena, but I did not like Hope Kendall as the girl here. There seems to be nothing more to her other than the sex addiction... oh, and she's from New Zealand... woo-hoo. And for some reason I had a real soft spot for Chandra... dunno, he just seemed like a very honest and down to earth ally for Bond to have.

Finally, Doubleshot seems to be the book that everyone forgets when discussing Benson books. Not sure why, but I hardly ever see it mentioned. It's a mixed bag for me. The twins are atrocious, don't get me wrong. But Bond is up against it from the start. He gets the hell beat out of him in this novel. He's sick, and that's an interesting twist to the regular Bond formula. There is also a female that draws influence from Fatima and Xenia from the films, and we do so like to read about psychotic female killers, don't we? My big problem with Doubleshot is that there aren't many points in the book where I was actually surprised by something that happened. A Bond novel is supposed to thrill, but it seemed like you knew everything that was going to happen next. You KNEW someone from the Union planted the fortune, sent him the pørno book, etc, etc. You also KNEW that there had to be a double Bond walking around killing people. You KNEW that Bond was going to shag both twins at the end....

Anyway, I'd like to hear opinions and such on these three books. Perhaps by those who haven't posted about them before, or those that have just read them for the first time. The Man With The Red Tatoo is the last 'official' novel that I have yet to read, which I am about to embark upon. I guess I'm disappointed there will be no new novels and have been holding out on this one for awhile to 'save it' for the right moment. Let's hope it's a good one.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:17 PM

I'm one of those who lists NDOD as his favorite with HTTK close behind. I also like DS, but I think I like TMWTRT better. I need to re-read DS.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by _JW_

I HATE the scene somewhere in the middle of the book where Bond is in the French television studio. The bit with him and the dogs is absolutely ridiculous... a piece of comedy that belongs in one of Roger Moore's films. (Not that I have a beef with Moore's portrayal of Bond, but this is not the FILM Bond I'm talking about here.)

Agreed. That scene was very Moore. On the whole, I really liked "Never Dream of Dying", though.

Originally posted by _JW_

Hope Kendall as the girl here. There seems to be nothing more to her other than the sex addiction... oh, and she's from New Zealand... woo-hoo. And for some reason I had a real soft spot for Chandra... dunno, he just seemed like a very honest and down to earth ally for Bond to have.

I loathed "High Time to Kill". It's an appallingly written snoozefest, IMO, and you're right, Hope is as dull as ditchwater. And Roland Marquis must be the weakest, most paper-thin villain Bond has ever encountered. Talking of scenes that don't belong in novels, I found the car chase involving the flying "scout" preposterous and juvenile in the extreme, the absolute low point of the so-called literary Bond.

I've yet to read "Doubleshot", but absolutely loved "The Man With the Red Tattoo". I enjoyed "Zero Minus Ten", too.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:41 PM

I don't know...I really loved both Hope Kendell and Roland Marquis because they felt so authentic. HTTK was a very interesting book. It was a microcosm Bond adventure. Instead of the world as its backdrop, it was a handful of people on a mountain. But it was still faithful to the Bond formula. Hope and Marquis where Bond Girl and Bond Villain, but on a smaller, much more believable scale. I thought it was a fascinating book perfectly executed.

#5 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:28 AM

Talking of scenes that don't belong in novels, I found the car chase involving the flying "scout" preposterous and juvenile in the extreme, the absolute low point of the so-called literary Bond.

Yes, Benson's use of the Jag is absolutely ridiculous. Bond may as well be driving a bloody tank around.

Bond adventure. Instead of the world as its backdrop, it was a handful of people on a mountain.

I think the mountain itself has more of a personallity than the people on the mountain. Like I said, I think this story DOES have tension and it is exciting, but the villan and the girl are poor, IMO. What do you think of Chandra, zencat? Out of all of the players in HTTK, he was the one that I found most 'authentic'.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:09 AM

Yes, Chandra was a great character. Very authentic. The entire Nepal location is very well fleshed out. That's why I like the Benson books so much more than Gardner books. Benson gives a strong sense of location.

#7 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 06:17 AM

And Loomis, you should read DS. Like I said earlier, it's not perfect, but it's got something in it that isn't in any of Benson's other books. It's a weaker, more vulnerable Bond - while it isn't something I want to see in every Bond book, it does make the character more human than superman of the films. It has some of that 'silly' quality from NDOD, but it's also kind of gritty at times. I might compare it to the film verson of TMWTGG... (hope that doesn't put you off if you're not a fan of that film)

#8 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:49 AM

Doubleshot is my favourite of the three books. NDOD and HTTK is quite equal. I didn't like the movie thing in NDOD, but it was better written than HTTK I think