7 replies to this topic

#1 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:00 PM

I just read the DAD novelization. Not my favourite genre.
However, the thing I did enjoy reading it was looking for hidden references to the previous movies, except for those made in the film itself).

This is my list:

1) The Brioni suit under the wet suit
2) The phrase

#2 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:38 AM

A lot of those were pretty lame though. Benson didn't seem to be a master of subtlety. "Oh look, it's something from Live and Let Die. And there's something from Octopussy."

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 02:22 PM

Nice finds, Grubozaboyschikov. I like that Benson added his own "winks and nods" to the novelization.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

I wonder how many were Benson’s and how many were in the script. I believe the ‘California Girls’ reference, for instance, was actually filmed and then edited out because in the background of that scene you can see part of what looks like a set up for a band. Sorry, I don’t remember exactly what it was I just remember noticing it on my first viewing, and I remember someone else bringing it up in the forums.

I’ll have to pop in the DVD later and have a look.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:22 AM

The GoldenEye tank is the film in the background as well. I don't think that was a wink, more like another bit of cheapness on the filmmakers' part.

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Mansfield 005
A lot of those were pretty lame though.  Benson didn't seem to be a master of subtlety.  "Oh look, it's something from Live and Let Die.  And there's something from Octopussy."

While I deplore Benson's references in his previous books, let us say for sake of argument that he was contracted to insert references (I'm sure they didn't have to ask him twice), in his defence, it is bit more difficult to insert hidden references in a book than a film as you can have various focal points in a film whereas in a book, one can only focus on what is being read.

Ergo, a written reference will never be hidden.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:32 PM

Originally posted by marktmurphy
The GoldenEye tank is the film in the background as well. I don't think that was a wink, more like another bit of cheapness on the filmmakers' part.

Really? I missed this one. Where is it?

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 11:35 AM

In the pre-credits when the hovercraft Bond knocks blows up and cartwheels there is a suspiciously familiar tank in the background.