9 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 10:51 AM

Stumbled on this, by "Bill Tanner" in a second-hand bookstore the other day for $55... is it really worth that much?

On a better note, I picked up the hardcover The World is not Enough novelisation - brand new - for $6.95 today, as well as the hardcover Martinis, Girls and Guns for $39.95, which looks like a fantastic book.

#2 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:51 PM

If it was a first edition hardback, then yes it is probably worth that. It is a very hard title to find these days. Noteworthy also for having a reversible dustjacket and the second book by Kingsley Amis before he actually had a crack a a Bond novel himself.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:12 PM

Nope, it was just a paperback.

#4 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 03:33 PM

Is this the same "The Book of Bond, James Bond"? with Goldeneye Pierce on the cover?

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:46 PM

I picked up a hardback edition of the Tanner Book of Bond at a bookstore about six years ago for $6 or $7. Didn't find it really impressive or anything, but a nice addition to my collection at a good price.

I guess it is one of the rarer books on Bond from the '60s. Another rare one I stumbled upon was The Devil With James Bond, which I got for .50 at a library overstock sale.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:41 AM

Originally posted by License To Kill
Is this the same "The Book of Bond, James Bond"? with Goldeneye Pierce on the cover?

Nope. This one was written in the 60s by Kingsley Amis, author of Colonel Sun, under the pseudonym of Bill Tanner, M's Chief-of-Staff. Written as though James Bond were a real person, I believe.

I had a quick flick through it, but it didn't seem to be worth $55.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:19 AM

Details on the book can be found over at Bondian.com.

I have a copy of this particular one...

Posted Image

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 07:17 AM

Yep, that's the copy I saw.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:59 AM

What's interesting with this particular cover is that for a Bond related book that came out in the mid 60's it's sure reminiscent of the "still life" series for the Fleming novels of early 70's.

Maybe this cover was the inspiration for those.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Red Grant
If it was a first edition hardback, then yes it is probably worth that. It is a very hard title to find these days. Noteworthy also for having a reversible dustjacket and the second book by Kingsley Amis before he actually had a crack a a Bond novel himself.

I'm guessing that the Pan paperback version had only one printing run, so any book with this cover you see in a shop is a first. I could be wrong.