2 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:39 PM

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss what CBners would like to see done with reissues of the Bond novels. The following idea is copied and pasted from another thread, on which it occurred to me:

I'd love to see all the novels - Fleming, Amis, Gardner and Benson - reissued with each book's cover art featuring a photograph or likeness of the actor who was the big screen Bond at the time it was published.

I'd have Connery on the covers of all the Flemings (even though DR. NO was released in 1962, year of "The Spy Who Loved Me", the tenth book), and Lazenby on the cover of "Colonel Sun" (1968, a year before ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, but Connery had already left the role by the time Amis' novel was published).

Since Moore was Bond in 1981, I'd have him on the cover of "Licence Renewed", as well as all of the Gardners up to and including 1984's "Role of Honour". Dalton was announced as Bond in 1986, so I'd put him on the cover of that year's "Nobody Lives For Ever". I'd then give Dalton all the Gardner covers up to and including 1993's "Never Send Flowers", and put Brosnan on the covers of everything from "Sea Fire" (1994, the year he was announced as 007) to "The Man With the Red Tattoo".

As for reissues of the Fleming novels only, I think a different preface for each book by a different writer would be fantastic. Say Christopher Hitchens for "Moonraker", Raymond Benson for "From Russia With Love", Martin Amis for another....

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:50 PM

Very interesting idea, Loomis. I like it. :)

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:43 AM

A couple of other ideas:

A buy-one-get-one-by-a-different-author-free offer, to encourage non-hardcore Bond fans to start reading Amis, Gardner and Benson and not just Fleming.

A sampler paperback with chapters from all or most of the novels (hey, that would automatically make a nice little collector's item:)).

Of course, I guess just the idea of the non-Fleming novels ever being republished is enough of a fantasy.