19 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:19 AM

I was discussing this with a friend tonight...We didn't find out about Bond's ethnicity until late in the Fleming novels. I think Fleming made Bond Scottish instead of British as a nod to Connery, who had played Bond by the time Ian got around to revealing his "origin". Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

#2 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:25 AM

Yes I was thinking about this the other day. I always thought Bond was English. It certainly could have been inspired by Connery.

#3 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:01 PM

I don't think Fleming mentions where Bond was actually born but does say he was from a Scottish Father (the nod to Connery in the obituary in YOLT) and a Swiss Mother. His place of birth would be more of a pointer to what nationality he was but to all intents and purposes he is English. I myself have a Scottish father but wouldn't consider myself to be Scottish as I was born in England. Does this make sense?

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:10 PM

I don't believe it had anything to do with Connery (at least not that I've ever heard of) but Fleming's own father was a Scot.

I believe your nationality is based upon where you are born and what your parents declare at the time of your birth, but your heritage is from your family.

A friend of mine was an Air Force kid and is of Italian heritage, but she was given the choice as to her nationality at age six (she was born in Germany) and had the option of declaring either German or American as her nationality. She chose the latter.

I think that's how it works.

As to Bond, I'm pretty certain though.

#5 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:10 PM

I always took it as a nod to Sean.

#6 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:56 PM

Yea me too. I think that Ian felt that the cinematic Bond was becoming so popular that he had to sort of acknowledge that in his novels.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 06:16 PM

I’ve read somewhere that Fleming adjusted Bond to be more like Connery and that the Scottish heritage was part of that. Sorry, I don’t remember where I read it, and it is certainly possible that it could have been speculation by the author.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:35 PM

Here's a thought....

Bond's Scottish because his mother married and had relations with a Scotsman. :)

Some folks will identify themselves first by their nationality. Others, by their ethnicity, still others by their religion. Bond chose to identify himself first (or Fleming chose to do it for him), as an assassin. As we get to know him, we find out more details about him, including his ethnic background.

-- Xenobia

#9 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:43 PM

Ethnicity

Xenobia, who would you feel more "in common with" a fellow American whose Male or a Female of a different nationality.

That goes for you all. But change it about if you're male.

#10 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:01 PM

Well, both of my parents are Irish, but I was born in England. I consider myself as Irish. Officially I may be British English, but I can (and have done) apply for an Irish passport. I had also read that Fleming adjusted Bond's nationality to suit the new filmic Bond.

"Jesus was born in a stable...Doesn't mean he was a horse."

Copyright me, just then.

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:07 PM

I heard in a documentary that Fleming made James Bond have Scottish heritage because of Sean Connery.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:02 AM

Hey guys my question

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:06 AM

I know one would care about my nationality, but I kinda don't have one. Some say I'm Irish, some say I'm a Brit.

#14 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 01:43 AM

13 replies-not bad!

#15 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:15 AM

I, too, remember having read somewhere that Fleming added the Scotish roots as a nod to Connerey (might have been in "The Legacy"). But doesn't (how I recently learned from a post by Tim007) the Pearson Bond biography mention that Bond was accidentially born in the German town of Wattenscheid. His parents were on their way back to England but couldn't leave Germany soon enough due to a railway strike.

#16 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:46 AM

Pearson's bio of Bond is rubbish. I don't count it as offical canon and neither does Benson which is good enough for me.

Fleming's family was from Scotland and he was particular proud of his heritage. He also states that Bond is born in the highlands of Scotland in Glencoe and his mother is Swiss, or French-Swiss? can't remember.

Though Im positive Bond classifies himself Scottish. People keep saying that its a nod to Connery. But Fleming writes in Moonraker that there was something Un-English about Bond and its the first hint that Bond isn't a "English gent".

Most of this comes from MR, OHMSS, there might be a tad in FRWL and his obituary in YOLT.

#17 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:08 AM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Pearson's bio of Bond is rubbish. I don't count it as offical canon and neither does Benson which is good enough for me.

Yes, that's what I heard about it. I just got the book this morning (which is hard to find in German) and I have yet to read it. But I don't plan on considering it as canon myself. Just wanted to add this little piece of information for those who haven't read the book themselves.

#18 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 04:40 AM

To answer your question...as long as the person is a decent human being...I don't care about their gender, nationality, ethnicity, or anything else.

-- Xenobia

#19 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:33 AM

I don't agree with you 1q2w3e4r when you say Pearson James Bond bio is rubbish.
I've just read it.
It is sometimes strange, sometimes disturbing about Bond's life abd sometimes very good. A few "short" stories of this book are really good.
But I agree with those who say it is non part of the Bond canon.

#20 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
To answer your question...as long as the person is a decent human being...I don't care about their gender, nationality, ethnicity, or anything else.

No it's just that I remember reading somewhere, and it'd be true with me.

If I, or anyone, met two people; A female of the same nationality as me and a male of a different nationality I would feel (if you like) more in common with the female who is of the same nationality as me. Why is that? Why wouldn't I feel more in common with the man as a fellow male.