5 replies to this topic

#1 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 01:53 PM

Richard Chopping, the celebrated artist for the UK first editions is auctioning his last remaining Bond proof artwork at Sotheby's on Thursday. Claiming he has "had enough of the whole thing" in an article in The Scotsman, he also lays into Fleming and says he was unhappy with the whole experience.

http://www.thescotsm...fm?id=737942003

details of the auction:

http://search.sotheb...sp?lot_id=42M2R

There are also some other Fleming first editions for sale if you search this Sotheby's site.
I've never heard Fleming descibed in this manner before and it all appears to be the end of a long and sad relationship for Chopping who is one of the most important artists ever to have been involved in the world of 007.

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:54 PM

I knew that Fleming was very strict with what he wanted for the cover artwork, but I didn't realise that the relationship between the two men was that strained. Once again it all boils down to money. Shame.

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 06:20 PM

One thing that ticked off Chopping was an invitation Ian Fleming sent to him for a party or something. It was addressed to "Mr & Mrs Richard Chopping" and that made Chopping mad because he is gay and Fleming knew it.

I would think Chopping could make some serious money the way some of the famous comic book artists have done - recreate their famous works on canvas and sell them. While it wouldn't bring as much as the original, it would still bring some big money.

There are some roughs of cover ideas Fleming wanted in the Glidrose archives. I've seen them and their pretty cool.

I'm sure Fleming was very exacting about his requirements (and I think he sent Chopping back to the drawing board entirely once or twice), but Chopping does seem incredibly bitter.

If he didn't like it, he could have a) never worked for Fleming again, or :) negotiated to have his artwork returned.

Glidrose did throw him a bone and have him do the Licence Renewed cover.

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 06:26 PM

Oh and the Scotsman article gives Chopping credit for the rose and gun motif - while Chopping did create the piece - it was Fleming who came up with the idea. He originally wanted it for his Live and Let Die cover. The mock up of it in the Glidrose archives is crude but interesting.

#5 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:03 PM

I find this article very interesting. But, sadly it confirms some of my suspicions as to what kind of man Mr. Fleming was.

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 02:54 PM

Update on the auction:

The proofs finally went for