#31 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Dmitri Mishkin

And Jimmy, I have to disagree.  He uses a machine gun in the pre-titles and final fight enroute to the satellite dish, and that's the extent of it.  There is certainly nothing as strong as Bond firing endlessly during the finale of TND, and in its opening.

You forget the escape from the library, Bond uses a machine gun in that scene too....

#32 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:05 PM

As DLibrasnow pointed out, the archives shoot out has extensive use of the machine gun. While I do think it's just as excessive as the shoot out in TND, I feel it's sorta appropriate. I mean think about it, how else is Bond going to escape with that many Russians around him?

I do love that shoot out in TND as well too, it's just so OTT I love it.

#33 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:06 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

You forget the escape from the library, Bond uses a machine gun in that scene too....

True, thanks for that.

Somehow, though, Bond's use of a machine gun in GE is much more judicious and somewhat lower in key. Not nearly as bombastic as his use of it in TND.

#34 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:18 PM

We miss the point here guys - Machine Gun or no machine gun - Campbell seems to be a very thoughtful director. Have any of you seen the Original 'Goldeneye Files' documentary from '95? There are some very interesting interviews on that documentary re: script and character - and Mayheux discusses Bond's relevance. Both Campbell and Mayheux seem to have very firm beliefs in Bond - they do see him as a 21st Century character - and there is no random suggestion that Bond has had several incarnations under the one code name as suggested by Tamahori - I wonder if he was a little short-s9oghted as a 007 director and only scratched the surface.

Think about the beach scene in GE - an important scene between Natalia and Bond - the 'That's what keeps me alive' speech.
On the DAD DVD commentary, Brosnan says he used that scene as his emotional hook and referred to it throughout the film as the 'angle' he found on 007's character.
You'll notice also on Campbell's Goldeneye commentary he talks extensivly about the importance of that scene, and how he rehearsed it with the actors several times over. Does this suggest that Brosnan and Campbell were on the exact same track with GE? Of course, this is just an isolated moment in the film.

Campbell's Goldeneye commentary is a testiment to his commitment to 007 - I think he is passionate about GE - and would bring a great deal of passion back to the series. - I'm so glad that most of you guys are in agreement.

Keep your thoughts coming!!!!!!!!

#35 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:43 AM

As DLibrasnow said Campbell has a very firm opinion about the Bond films after him, he doesnt think too highly of them. Now I don't think he'll never come back, in fact, he might want to come back to get the series back on track, as it were. He'd jump at the oppurtunity if that was the case.

#36 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:06 AM

despite him saying what he did i hope he can come back, i liked his version of bond

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:28 AM

I loved "Goldeneye", I think that is the best of all the Brosnan Bonds. I hope he hasn't burnt his bridges with EON. Perhaps Mike and Babs will take a page out of Cubbys book. It was long thought that Patrick MacNee would never get a part in a Bond movie after he attacked the 007 films in the 1960s, yet in 1985 he got the part in AVTAK and then later the commentaries on the DVD documentaries.
Come on Mike and Babs, bury the hatchet and bring Campbell back into the fold.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:29 AM

Ah, I see you've turned off "realist" DLibrasnow and brought back "fanboy" DLibrasnow. Welcome back!

:)

Ok, in all seriousness I think Campbell should come back. I make no secret that DAD is my favorite Brosnan flick, but I'm not sure a DAD2 is what we need now, I don't think it would do as great box office anyways.

#39 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
Ah, I see you've turned off "realist" DLibrasnow and brought back "fanboy" DLibrasnow. Welcome back!

Ok, in all seriousness I think Campbell should come back. I make no secret that DAD is my favorite Brosnan flick, but I'm not sure a DAD2 is what we need now, I don't think it would do as great box office anyways.

As long as we don't get TWINE2 I will be happy!

#40 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:43 PM

I'm all for Campbell!!!

So what about the "excessive" use of machine guns. TND was both excessive and utterly absurd. Remember the scene in Carver's media printing warehouse? Bonds running along the catwalk and the bullets being frenetically fired only manage to hit the railings, and Bond has a few hours to spare before going through the door while these shots are being fired to frown at Wai Lin. PUH-LEASE!!!

#41 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 08:07 AM

What do you think about an sjort future on the Bond 21 dvd about the search too an directer.
With the ansers of those Quistions and many more.
Why there choose this directer and not the other. (Money,Experions)
Why must we have for each movie an other directer after Goldeneye.
Why working the directer not with the writers together.

Mabey there can make an future to about the search to acters/actres for in the movie.

#42 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

how about tony scott for director? Ray r u THE Ray? lol

#43 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:09 PM

Tony scott will ramp edit!! (but apart from that I think we'd be ok) - and his Brother would no doubt enlist Hanz Zimmer (who just re-records every score he's ever written - Broken Arrow, Mi2, Gladiator)

Ridley Scott is from the same town as me back home though - so I like him for this reason. You have to respect Hannibal - top notch movie, and Black Hawk Down and GI Jane.

Yeah, bring on either of the Scott brothers - but only if Campbell is unavailable. (hehe!)

#44 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

Tony Scott would'nt be too bad. People will want to string me up for this, but I think Micheal Bay would be a decent choice too. People who complain the last few Bond films lack style would'nt be able to complain about that if Bay were directing.

#45 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:09 PM

Originally posted by johnisnumberone

Ridley Scott is from the same town as me back home though - so I like him for this reason.

Another Geordie

#46 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 12:30 AM

Tony Scott would'nt be too bad. People will want to string me up for this, but I think Micheal Bay would be a decent choice too. People who complain the last few Bond films lack style would'nt be able to complain about that if Bay were directing.

I'd take Wesley Snipes as James Bond over Michael Bay directing B21. I think they can do better than Bay who's made made such lousy films as Pearl Harbor and Armageddon.

#47 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 05:52 AM

But he also made The Rock :) A very good action film, that does have style and class.

With Bay, it just depends on the script.

#48 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:30 AM

But he also made The Rock :) A very good action film, that does have style and class.

I got a big problem with 'The Rock'. They spent all this time setting up the character of John Mason and how he was once a British spy who stole all these secret and important files from the US and how he was too dangerous to be freed. They cast Sean Connery as this legendary spy who was the only man to ever escape from Alcatraz Island.
And then they wasted so many opportunities. They could have really played up the fact that the man who once played a legendary British spy was now again playing a legendary British spy...but they blew it. I read an interview with Michael Bay once where he stated that he liked blowing up expensive cars in his films. So does somebody like Renny Harlin. Both these directors tend to make 'mind candy' and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the reason most of us go to the movies. But at least Harlin tends to have a little more flair.
As for the Scott brothers, they would be good. Ridley especially would give a Bond film an epic quality.

VM

#49 johnisnumberone

johnisnumberone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:51 AM

Hasn't Pierce brosnan suggested John McTiernan? I just saw BASIC, which I didn't like very much - but credit to McT for Die Hard With A Vengence.

'Basic' does prove that McTiernan can shoot interesting dialogue sequences, aswell as the major action sequences.

Any thoughts?

#50 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

I got a big problem with 'The Rock'. They spent all this time setting up the character of John Mason and how he was once a British spy who stole all these secret and important files from the US and how he was too dangerous to be freed. They cast Sean Connery as this legendary spy who was the only man to ever escape from Alcatraz Island.
And then they wasted so many opportunities. They could have really played up the fact that the man who once played a legendary British spy was now again playing a legendary British spy...but they blew it. I read an interview with Michael Bay once where he stated that he liked blowing up expensive cars in his films. So does somebody like Renny Harlin. Both these directors tend to make 'mind candy' and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the reason most of us go to the movies. But at least Harlin tends to have a little more flair.
As for the Scott brothers, they would be good. Ridley especially would give a Bond film an epic quality.

VM

I beg to differ. I was watching "The Rock" recently and noticed this at the end. Quite cheeky, I'd say ...

#51 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

Funny stuff in hindsight.

#52 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Did you really just counter-argue a conversation from eight years ago?

#53 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

I think Marty would be a great director for Bond 21, oh well, it's still so long away until the release of Bond 21 :(