20 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:43 PM

In the "When does May Day look the sexiest in AVTAK?" thread (http://forums.comman...30&pagenumber=5), David Somerset makes a very interesting point about the character:

Originally posted by David Somerset

Everything points to her being one of the good Doctor Mortner's "creations". I always assumed that was the case.  

I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss this, so as not to take off topic once again the thread about when May Day looks the sexiest.

I can't believe the idea of May Day having been made by Mortner had never occurred to me. Granted, there's absolutely no evidence or suggestion (as far as I recall) in the film that any of the characters other than Zorin owe their lives and peculiarities to Mortner. However, Zorin and May Day do seem very much "cut from the same cloth".

Both are extremely fit and healthy, as well as highly intelligent and psychotic. Both tend to laugh maniacally. In fact, for most of the time they seem to come across as being more like brother and sister than lovers (in terms of their similarities, and the way they behave with each other) - is it just me, or is there the sense of something forbidden about their relationship? (No, I'm not referring to the old white-man-and-black-woman taboo. Is there the hint of incest?)

Or am I just reading way too much into things?:)

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:47 PM

I have always thought that May Day was one of Mortner's "creations", it's very obvious.

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:01 PM

yeah i think so.. I think she is clearly on steriods.. and how could a normal girl put up with the insane zorin? only if they both were created in some way by Mortner

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:08 PM

My gosh, I've never considered this, but, yes, I can see this now! Forget the Jinx move, let's see the May Day prequel.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:10 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Forget the Jinx move, let's see the May Day prequel.  

May Day is clearly Jinx's mother.:)

#6 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:27 PM

Originally posted by zencat
My gosh, I've never considered this, but, yes, I can see this now! Forget the Jinx move, let's see the May Day prequel.

Seriously, there's a great back-story to be told here . Could there even be more than one Mayday? A stronger, possibly more psychotic sibling?

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 07:32 PM

Doubt it very much...after all May Day is black and Mortner is a former Nazi...if Mortner were to create a superior/super fit superior woman I would think that he would have almost certainly made her Aryan.

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 08:10 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Doubt it very much...after all May Day is black and Mortner is a former Nazi...if Mortner were to create a superior/super fit superior woman I would think that he would have almost certainly made her Aryan.

i am with you snow, i cant see the conection of mayday and mortner whatsoever

#9 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:16 PM

Firstly, lets not make the mistake of thinking all scientists working under the Third Reich subscribed to the Nazi's ideals or that Aryan fairytale crud (Wernher Von Braun being a case in point).
Secondly, presuming Mayday is around the same age as the actress portraying her then she would have been conceived several years after the end of hostilities with Germany, when the Soviets were calling the shots on Mortner's research

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:32 PM

I was going to make the same comments as I was catching up on the thread, but Darren's done it for me. :)

Zorin was blonde and blue-eyed (aryan looking) so it's reasonable to assume that this was the type of progeny that Mortner was "cooking" up in the test tubes.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Zorin was blonde and blue-eyed (aryan looking) so it's reasonable to assume that this was the type of progeny that Mortner was "cooking" up in the test tubes.

So if an inhuman Nazi scientist had had the chance to experiment on black people, do you think he'd have passed it up? I don't.

Look at Japanese experiments during the Second World War - such evil men would surely have found it all the easier and more "permissable" to work on those belonging to "lesser" races.

God, this thread is touching on a nasty area right now.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:13 AM

I was going to make the same comments as I was catching up on the thread, but Darren's done it for me. :)

Yeah it's an interesting idea to toy with, but once you look at the facts, it simply doesn't hold up.

Plus, let's not forget SHE'S NOT PSYCHO. She is simply in love with Zorin, but her change of heart at the end of the movie shows her not only as sane, but also willing to sacrifice herself for others.

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
So if an inhuman Nazi scientist had had the chance to experiment on black people, do you think he'd have passed it up? I don't.

Sure, but who's to say that May Day is one of them anyway. There seems no implied relationship between her and Mortner to suggest such.

As DLibrasnow says, she's not psycho and actually becomes Bond's ally and saves his life plus millions at the end.

#14 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 02:13 AM

Dorling Kindersley's James Bond:The Secret World Of 007 states on page 89: "A product of the same genetic programme as Zorin, May Day was a martial-arts genius and a born killer. Nevertheless, this complex psychopath retained a few shreds of humanity."

That pretty much sums up my feelings on this as well. May Day's mother, imprisoned in a concentration camp, was subjected to Mortner's experiments, and injected with steroids. Her daughter proved to be, as the DK book says, "gifted, but psychotic".

#15 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:13 AM

i still dont feel thats right at all, maybe thats what they say in that book but nothing i saw watching the movie makes me believe may day was a psychotic

#16 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 09:38 AM

At the end,she's not helping Bond but carrying out a massive retaliation against Zorin for his gross betrayal of her and her friends in the mine. What better way than to put the skids under his grand masterplan. Helping Bond is just a means to an end. She doesn't turn to the side of good and right in the same way Pussy Galore does in Goldfinger. She would have gone with Zorin all the way. The look on her face just before the bomb detonates is a mixture of satisfaction and regret.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 11:05 AM

As DLibrasnow says, she's not psycho and actually becomes Bond's ally and saves his life plus millions at the end.

May Day is psychotic, though. She kills in cold blood (for example Aubergine, Tibbett, and the Taiwanese businessman who backs out of Project Mainstrike), and she's quite happy to go along with Zorin's murderous schemes until he betrays her. I agree with David Somerset that:

Originally posted by David Somerset

At the end,she's not helping Bond but carrying out a massive retaliation against Zorin for his gross betrayal of her and her friends in the mine. What better way than to put the skids under his grand masterplan. Helping Bond is just a means to an end. She doesn't turn to the side of good and right in the same way Pussy Galore does in Goldfinger. She would have gone with Zorin all the way. The look on her face just before the bomb detonates is a mixture of satisfaction and regret.

who's to say that May Day is one of them anyway. There seems no implied relationship between her and Mortner to suggest such.

It's true that there's no hard evidence that May Day is one of Mortner's creations, so I guess it's up to the viewer to decide, in much the same way as the issue of whether Robert Brown's M is also the Admiral Hargreaves character of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME seems to be a matter of interpretation.

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
May Day is psychotic, though. She kills in cold blood (for example Aubergine, Tibbett, and the Taiwanese businessman who backs out of Project Mainstrike), and she's quite happy to go along with Zorin's murderous schemes until he betrays her.

That pretty much describes the chores of the average Bond villain henchperson really. :)

But I now tend to agree with you and David Somerset on May Day's motives at the end. Well said.

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:45 PM

That pretty much describes the chores of the average Bond villain henchperson really. :)

'Tis true. Is May Day any more psychotic than, say, Jaws (who likewise ultimately becomes a pussycat) or Gobinda? Is Bond psychotic? My head hurts.:)

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:53 PM

The whole of Bond's world is pretty psychotic actually.

Now my head hurts.

Oh, what a pair we make.
:)

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:40 AM

The whole of Bond's world is pretty psychotic actually.  

Now my head hurts.

Oh, what a pair we make.
:)

Too funny Blofeld's Cat lol :)