Octopussy's father

10 replies to this topic

#1 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:05 AM

I always thought this was a great scene in the film. It shows a connection between Bond and Octopussy. When Bond says to her you want to avenge him, it is surprising to the audience and to Bond when she says no and just wants to thank him for giving him an honorable alternative. It was almost like Bond was expecting her to want revenge like in TSWLM, Anya says she will kill him for killing her lover. This is something that happens to him a lot where he is the cause of someones death either directly or somewhat indirectly(Octopussy's father) and he never knows if a relative or lover will come back to avenge their loved one. I just thought it was a nice twist that Octopussy didn't want revenge.

Another thing I noticed recently is the fact that Octopussy's father's name is Major Dexter Smythe and in AVTAK Bond uses the alias St.John Smythe. I wonder if this was done on purpose? Perhaps Bond had a real fondness for Octopussy since this would be her last name as well.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:36 PM

Originally posted by St.John Smythe
Another thing I noticed recently is the fact that Octopussy's father's name is Major Dexter Smythe and in AVTAK Bond uses the alias St.John Smythe...

Hey, nice catch. I've never noticed that.

Does anyone know who that actor is in the photo Octo shows Bond? He looks familiar somehow.

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:05 PM

That is a great catch!! That is true Roger did have a bunch of Bond Girls wanting to avenge deaths.. and Roger played it nicely to remind us of the past Bond Missions

TSWLM
FYEO

both had women wanted to avenge past love's of their lives..

#4 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 05:12 PM

It was a good way of using the original Fleming story. Incorporating it into the movie instead of discarding it altogether.

#5 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 05:17 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Does anyone know who that actor is in the photo Octo shows Bond? He looks familiar somehow.

I heard it was Ian Fleming. Maybe that's why he looks familiar. :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 05:26 PM

It's not Fleming (at least I don't think so)...but that would have been cool.

#7 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:24 AM

I think this is soooo cool! I just watched that part a few seconds ago.. and for Roger to use Smythe as his name for AVTAK.. from the mission before.. is sooo sooo cool!!

Do you think they even notice that & did that on purpose??

This movie is 20 years old.. and I have never heard anyone bring this up & catch this cool point :)

#8 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 10:53 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Now I'm just guessing from memory but is the person in the picture the same person who played Melina's father in For Your Eyes Only? Maybe that's why it is familiar.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 03:59 PM

I liked this connection with the Fleming short story "Octopussy"

#10 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 04:04 PM

I feel so sorry for Octopussy's family. Who are your neighbors? Oh, the Pussies live up the street from us. Mr. Pussy just came over to borrow some sugar. Poor man.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 04:16 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
I feel so sorry for Octopussy's family.  Who are your neighbors?  Oh, the Pussies live up the street from us.  Mr. Pussy just came over to borrow some sugar.  Poor man.

Except the name of the family isn't Octopussy, it's Smythe.

I think it made a lot more sense in the short story.